Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's an artifical deadline. lol.

Yes, I know that. All deadlines given here are artificial. My point wasn’t that they weren’t out there, it’s that it shouldn’t be before 2020. And really at least 2020. Since I was comparing it to, you know, Chip Kelly getting at least a couple years.

And I haven’t seen any here in the RF that say FAHR IN 2018 OR 2019!!!1

If they are out there, my bad. Don’t care enough to keep track. Maybe you could copy and paste some?

Yes, I know that. All deadlines given here are artificial. My point wasn’t that they weren’t out there, it’s that it shouldn’t be before 2020. And really at least 2020. Since I was comparing it to, you know, Chip Kelly getting at least a couple years.

If they are out there, my bad. Don’t care enough to keep track. Maybe you could copy and paste some?
it was your assertion that it wasn't happening. it is. that's all. and it's not in some overwhelming volume that it's worriesome.

again, my whole thing is that most of the anxiety about this whole conversation is coming from like 5 people on this board.

yet they're they loudest and generally speaking, most boisterous with the delivery of their opinion.

hence, those that like getting their jollies by riling folks up.

Reactions: ValleyAlVol
Maybe I’m not taking notes as well as you (I can totally see you having a ledger somewhere) but no, haven’t seen anything putting an artificial deadline on anything before 2020. I’ll keep an eye out, I promise.
Don’t need a ledger...I pay attention and have average recall capability. I don’t want you making promises...just do it for yourself.

Reactions: SugarCC

Lot of words to not care. Maybe you should remove your opposable thumbs from your azz and use the search feature?

it was your assertion that it wasn't happening. it is. that's all. and it's not in some overwhelming volume that it's worriesome.

again, my whole thing is that most of the anxiety about this whole conversation is coming from like 5 people on this board.

yet they're they loudest and generally speaking, most boisterous with the delivery of their opinion.

hence, those that like getting their jollies by riling folks up.

To be clear, my statement was that I haven’t seen any artificial deadlines before 2020. I’m not saying anything more. Maybe I should have left out “artificial” and my point would have been easier for some to understand. If anyone has said that he should be fired if we lose to Vandy or be on the hot seat in 2019, I suppose you are right, it’s a minuscule number.

Reactions: jakez4ut
i dont' think we really tried with Kelly iirc. they released something on their end saying they "turned down Tennessee", but i dont' think it ever got past the "are you interested in talking" phase.
I felt like it was Kelly to UF but I also thought that it was going to be a mercenary deal where a significantly better offer might sway him. I thought that maybe we were ready to pony up the big bucks. Maybe we would have paid for Gundy, or maybe that was a sham? Kelly sure isn't drawing a bunch of elite recruits to UCLA at this point, which is where I apparently wrongly thought he'd help us.

I felt like it was Kelly to UF but I also thought that it was going to be a mercenary deal where a significantly better offer might sway him. I thought that maybe we were ready to pony up the big bucks. Maybe we would have paid for Gundy, or maybe that was a sham? Kelly sure isn't drawing a bunch of elite recruits to UCLA at this point, which is where I apparently wrongly thought he'd help us.
i was never high on Kelly. his offense was a novelty back then, and it's been figured out. didn't think he would be able to replicate what he did at Oregon here. not sure he'll be able to at UCLA, but i do think it has a better chance out there where the premium on defense isn't what it is down here.

as for ponying up the big bucks, that ship never left port given how we approached the whole Schiano deal. the gundy offer was desperation on Currie's part, and a money grab from OSU on Gundy's part. and after that we were going to way over pay for anyone Currie hired, if he was allowed to do so.

i was intrigued by the thought of Leach. on entertainment factor alone, it would have been an upgrade. but long term, i just didn't see it working here. we already saw that offense when he was with Mumme at KY.

Well done, recalling all that stuff on a message board. Look at the big brain on butchna!
Once again...humble praise. It’s not really that much of an achievement. Your T count doing aight? You too proud to take Adderal? “All that stuff”...lol.

UCLA is playing with only 57 scholarship players and about 7-8 out of 10 players in the rotation are FR and SO. So UCLA and UT have something in common-- they're relying on young talent that needs developing and it's a little too early to judge the new HCs who don't have the personnel they need to compete at the level they want.

Once again...humble praise. It’s not really that much of an achievement. Your T count doing aight? You too proud to take Adderal? “All that stuff”...lol.

Occasionally I can wipe off the drool and muster enough recall to know you have better material than gigging someone for their apparent lack of recall of general message board sentiment. Got anything else?

Recruiting is week to week, if not day to day, so probably no reason to get to low..... but it sure feels like we're polar opposite of where we were a week ago.

Logue re-affirmed his UGA commitment and will sign early.
Javonta Payton is going to Mississippi State.
Justin Eboigba really just seems to be pandering to fan bases. And we seem kind of desperate, offering PWOs' to whomever we ask him to.
Crouch is Clemson bound, albeit not official.
Haselwoods interest in us, real or perceived, has passed and hes' not an option anymore.
Harrison Bailey is allegedly Michigan bound, if you believe the VQ guys.

And I feel like I'm forgetting one or two...

Fortunately I do think we finish the class with the following:

Eric Gray
Darnell Wright
Owen Pappoe
Kenyatta Watson
Khafre Brown
Trezmen Marshall (hard to get a read on this kid, but I think the Sherrer connection gets him here)

Also, Jalil Clemons and Roman Harrison received ratings bumps, which should appease the star watchers.

i was never high on Kelly. his offense was a novelty back then, and it's been figured out. didn't think he would be able to replicate what he did at Oregon here. not sure he'll be able to at UCLA, but i do think it has a better chance out there where the premium on defense isn't what it is down here.

as for ponying up the big bucks, that ship never left port given how we approached the whole Schiano deal. the gundy offer was desperation on Currie's part, and a money grab from OSU on Gundy's part. and after that we were going to way over pay for anyone Currie hired, if he was allowed to do so.

i was intrigued by the thought of Leach. on entertainment factor alone, it would have been an upgrade. but long term, i just didn't see it working here. we already saw that offense when he was with Mumme at KY.

Agree. Whether Leach would have been success in Knoxville, I don't know, but I do know his stops at Tx Tech and WSU have shown we should not have expected a quick fix if he had come to UT.

He took over a TT team in 2000 that went 6-5 in 1999 and went 7-5 regular season his first season, then repeated 7-5 in 2001, then won either 8 or 9 games every season until 2008 before finally breaking 10 wins to get to 11-2. So it took 8 seasons to get there. He then went 8-4 in the 2009.

He took over a WSU program in 2012 that went 4-8 (2-7) in 2011 and went 3-9 (1-8) his first season. 6-7 is 2nd season, then back to 3-9 his 3rd season (not sure he would have seen a 4th season at UT based on what happened to Dooley). His WSU team finally started showing some life in season 4, going 9-4, but then 8-5 and 9-4 in Seasons 5-6 before finally having his first really good season this season, which is Season 7.

So tense in here. I blame @SugarCC... and @butchna, naturally. @Catbone probably did something too.

It’s Thanksgiving brothers, hug it out.😀
giphy.gif

you know as i remember back to what i wanted etc...for a coach, i caught myself defending Mullen more than i thought i would.

to me he made the most sense, he checked all the boxes. still, i wasn't 100%. more like 80%. part of that was i didn't think we were going after, nor would we get, guys like Patterson, Peterson etc..... i was very high on Scott Frost, but i didn't think he'd come here over UF or Nebraska. gruden was never a consideration in my mind, just to get that out of the way.

anywho, bottom line, we didn't handle the search well at all. it was ill conceived, and even more poorly executed.

at the end of the day, with how it all turned out, i think we probably did the best we could with what we had to work with. i think we probalby got Pruitt a year or two ahead of schedule ( as far as when he might be the next "hot commodity" as a HC candidate).

i've seen things i really like this year. and i've seen some things that i didn't. if i had to add it up, there's more in the former column, than the latter.

all that to say, it's going to be 2-3 years before we see antyhinng close to a finished product. and that just sucks. and it'd be true no matter who the coach would be.

Reactions: crovol
Recruiting is week to week, if not day to day, so probably no reason to get to low..... but it sure feels like we're polar opposite of where we were a week ago.

Justin Eboigba really just seems to be pandering to fan bases. And we seem kind of desperate, offering PWOs' to whomever we ask him to.
Haselwoods interest in us, real or perceived, has passed and hes' not an option anymore.

Eric Gray
Darnell Wright
Owen Pappoe
Kenyatta Watson
Khafre Brown
Trezmen Marshall (hard to get a read on this kid, but I think the Sherrer connection gets him here)

Also, Jalil Clemons and Roman Harrison received ratings bumps, which should appease the star watchers.
That would be awesome.

Reactions: SugarCC

Eric Gray
Darnell Wright
Owen Pappoe
Kenyatta Watson
Khafre Brown

not so fast....Watson isn't a real thing anymore either............lol.
And Auburn is going to promote Pappoe's favorite coach, so he's going to stay put.

and we've slow played Brown to the point he's not going to come here just for spite.

i mean if we're going to jump off a cliff..............let's get a running start man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back