How are we going to recruit offensive players?

Yes! This is why it's so disconcerting to hear him blame the players. As far as I can tell, he's never coached anything but Top 5 recruiting talent -- and never as a head coach. It's awfully convenient to blame the players. But I think most of our fans have reasonable expectations for the kind of improvement we had hoped to see by now: line up right and snap the ball, tackle with technique and play with discipline. That's still a problem at this point in the season. And that's coaching.
I will agree that the penalties for the fundamental stuff you mention are frustrating, but I still think that is tough for him to always control. The Oline was a big question mark coming into the season and we've lost probably our best and most experienced linemen. I think Pruitt has done a great job compared to where this team was last year. We still have 3 games and a shot at a bowl. I think this season has been on par with any realistic fan and there's still a lot of football left to play. GBO.

I don't see how. Maybe if they show a glimmer of hope?

OC does not look as competent as many potential recruits might like.

They need to show they know what they are doing sometime.

Any glimmer of hope is probably getting snuffed out over the next 3 weeks.

I think getting Lyled to on the recruiting trail, and then disappointed when they get here seeing that it wasn't what they were sold, in addition to the abysmal training and coaching, means the sum of all that is the players lack of ability on the field, but I feel bad for them because of the situation they came into. We have been about as bad/good as I thought this season even though the Orange in me was hoping for better. I would love the see us send the cats home with a loss. GBO!!!

I agree to a point. But, I see Linemen in the right place and getting boatraced at the point of attack. That is just talent.

I see lineman completely whiffing in other words not knowing who/where to block

From CJPs last post game presser (I think) he states basically the same thing.

A lot of you would fit in nice w the crowd calling for Saban s head after bama lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year there.

No faith

Apparently Pruitt was telling the team they were equal to Charlotte. By gawd they believed him.

Pruitt has had top level talent everywhere he’s been.
If he thinks a Bama like roster is going to appear he’s crazy. They are going to have to coach lower tier players and get more out of them.
Based on his current recruiting, he’s not going to have Saban like results. Great coaches do more with less.
I doubt he thinks they re going to fall out of the sky. So no hes not crazy in that regard.

No reason to base his recruiting here on anything yet. He has yet to sign a class at UT that he had even a year to recruit here. It's not year 5 and hes signing the 20th ranked class.

Got a chuckle out of the last comment.

I want Pruitt to open up the play calling for whoever the QB is. Even if they throw an interception.
So then you can bitch and moan about all the turnovers? When your OL is so damn bad that 28% of the time you can’t even get back to the line of scrimmage on a running play, it kinda makes it tough as an offensive playcaller.

So then you can bitch and moan about all the turnovers? When your OL is so damn bad that 28% of the time you can’t even get back to the line of scrimmage on a running play, it kinda makes it tough as an offensive playcaller.
No. I want something more like the Auburn game so offensive skill players can showcase their talent.

Hopefully the recruits know more about football than our fans do. If so they’ll know what a difference they would make. Not all Helton’s fault...

Yes! This is why it's so disconcerting to hear him blame the players. As far as I can tell, he's never coached anything but Top 5 recruiting talent -- and never as a head coach. It's awfully convenient to blame the players. But I think most of our fans have reasonable expectations for the kind of improvement we had hoped to see by now: line up right and snap the ball, tackle with technique and play with discipline. That's still a problem at this point in the season. And that's coaching.

Good grief. Think about it this way. We are in your kitchen and I turn on the burner on your stove and tell you watch out that burner is hot. You touch it anyway and burn yourself. This exact same scenario plays out day after day with me warning you but you still continue to burn yourself.

At what point does the balme start to fall on you?

Reactions: VolinMC
Good grief. Think about it this way. We are in your kitchen and I turn on the burner on your stove and tell you watch out that burner is hot. You touch it anyway and burn yourself. This exact same scenario plays out day after day with me warning you but you still continue to burn yourself.

Maybe you think you're explaining it to me clearly, but you're actually just not able to communicate in a way that allows me to understand what you're saying. I don't know why anyone would just PRESUME that the problem is on the players' end.

Maybe you think you're explaining it to me clearly, but you're actually just not able to communicate in a way that allows me to understand what you're saying. I don't know why anyone would just PRESUME that the problem is on the players' end.

Because Pruitt has said the same things over and over again. We got guys who just arent doing it right. Some guys arent blocking. Hold onto the football. Catching. Tackling. These are basic concepts that are went over every practice yet still some guys cannot execute it right. At some point, you can only teach so much. Its just like a teacher, a math teacher can only show you so many times how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. But if you fail to remember how to do these simple things on test day, how can you blame the teacher?

While the coaches do have plenty of blame, so do the players. You absolutely cannot sit there and blame everything on coaching. Especially when you see true FR playing better than the upperclassmen under the same coaching. The players are to blame as well.

I like this analogy,,a coach can try to teach them all week or season but sometimes in a game a player will revert to their old ways or try a shortcut when they get tired or caught up in the moment. It happens more than people think,just athletic ability takes over for some and some it doesnt,this is the difference between the level of players. This is part of discipline and mental parts of the game.
Now coaches can be blamed for some things but this does happen and it's up to the players to overcome it.

Because Pruitt has said the same things over and over again. We got guys who just arent doing it right. Some guys arent blocking. Hold onto the football. Catching. Tackling. These are basic concepts that are went over every practice yet still some guys cannot execute it right. At some point, you can only teach so much. Its just like a teacher, a math teacher can only show you so many times how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. But if you fail to remember how to do these simple things on test day, how can you blame the teacher?

While the coaches do have plenty of blame, so do the players. You absolutely cannot sit there and blame everything on coaching. Especially when you see true FR playing better than the upperclassmen under the same coaching. The players are to blame as well.

Some people just aren't good at math (or in the kitchen near a hot burner). Once you get to the level in football where you're being recruited by the biggest college programs in the country, you've demonstrated that you are NOT just bad at football.

Again, I'm not talking about wins and losses in year one. I'm just looking at some of the fundamental mistakes that we keep making that I would expect a good coach to have fixed by now. And while I am absolutely NOT blaming all of it on the coaches, Pruitt seems to be saying that we won't even have a chance to be better until we get better players. That's worrisome to me, because a coach can use that as an excuse for several seasons.

Is one recruiting class going to be enough to fix the problem? I don't think so. So that means we can't hope for much until at least year three. And getting better players will almost certainly result in some level of improvement. As fans, we will be forced to be patient until at least year four or five. I just don't want to look back and say, "We should have known better when he couldn't correct those basic issues in year one."

Apparently Pruitt was telling the team they were equal to Charlotte. By gawd they believed him.

Pruitt has had top level talent everywhere he’s been.
If he thinks a Bama like roster is going to appear he’s crazy. They are going to have to coach lower tier players and get more out of them.
Based on his current recruiting, he’s not going to have Saban like results. Great coaches do more with less.

Like beat a ranked SEC West team on road (AU).
Give it a rest, and watch what happens over the next couple of years.

VN Store

Back