'19 GA S Jaylen McCollough (Tennessee signee)

"It was just the coaching staff and the atmosphere," McCollough said. "Bringing coach (Jeremy) Pruitt and coach (Charles) Kelly over really brought me to Tennessee. Being up there around the whole staff was like a second home. They love football and that's something I want to be around. I know for a fact I love football It just feels like family."
The relationship with first-year Vol safeties coach Charles Kelly helped deliver the final blow to South Carolina, Florida State and others, as McCollough found great peace in his relationship with the veteran assistant.
"He's just an honest dude," McCollough said. "He's been recruiting me since my freshman year and he has never steered me wrong. He has given me some of the best advice outside of football. That shows me he cares about me as a man and not just another player."
McCollough's ties to Kelly actually go back even further than when the current Vols' assistant began recruiting him early in his high school career.
"He actually recruited my dad and coached him when he was in college at Jacksonville State," McCollough said. "That didn't play a factor in anything, but he just loves the game and I love his honesty. I just know I can trust him. He tells me about when he used to chew my dad out when he was coaching him and shows me old pictures of the two of them."

VQ

giphy.gif

Reactions: Type Orange+
I met McCollough when he was in middle school and was instantly drawn to him. Loved how competitive he was. Loved his confidence. And I knew was a mature kid from a strong family right away.

He is a sharp young man. He is a natural leader.

I spent time with his family last week talking about the UT decision and all were overjoyed. The family was going to support Jaylen regardless of who he chose, but all seemed very happy with Pruitt and the Vols.

As a player, he is TOUGH. He loved contact. He is not the fastest DB in Georgia and he can improve in coverage, but he will hit, he is instinctive, he is smart and he will be an impact player in Knoxville.

McCollough is one of those guys that makes others around him better. This was a very good pick-up for UT.
-Chad Simmons

VN Store

Back