Vols get new commit from GA DE Roman Harrison

He played out of position at DT and still recorded 50 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks and 13 quarterback hurries last year. That's pretty good for a DT.

Reactions: 5 people
Whether we believe it or not... this is a reach in the fashion of Butch Jones.

I was expecting a MUCH better showing recruiting wise with Pruitt.

We are running short on schollies and continue to load up on lower ranked (or unranked) players.

ha, funny. after he commits to us, his rating was bumped up to over .85, and is now a 3 star composite.

he camped here, coaches saw him up close and personal. 6'2", 240, runs a 4.6 40 with 39" vertical. this is different than scrambling in Jan/feb trying to replace a guy you hoped to get.

Reactions: 6 people
Whether we believe it or not... this is a reach in the fashion of Butch Jones.

I was expecting a MUCH better showing recruiting wise with Pruitt.

We are running short on schollies and continue to load up on lower ranked (or unranked) players.

You go recruit those 5 star players after coming off a 4-8 season with a disastrous front page coaching search. Let me fill you in and say they're not beating down our door.

Reactions: 4 people
You go recruit those 5 star players after coming off a 4-8 season with a disastrous front page coaching search. Let me fill you in and say they're not beating down our door.

we'll still wind up with 2 or 3 and a couple 4 stars that are fringe 5* type guys.

Reactions: 1 person
The kid is 6'2", between 230 and 250, 39" vertical, supposedly ran a 4.6, and benches 400 pounds. He plays out of position in HS due to his team needs, so his stats aren't great. He camped in person with the staff and they offered him. He passed every measurement and checked every box this staff feels a player needs to fit their system.

This staff is methodical in their evaluations and what they look for before they offer. They just don't hand out offers because a player showed up.

I think we will see a big difference in the quality of 3 star that Pruitt offers and gets versus what we saw under CBJ. I don't recall ever hearing about Butch taking measurements on kids. I think Butch was a star chaser, pure and simple.

I think this is a good pick up.

Edit.. and this kid has a motor. He doesn't let up.

:thumbsup: all over it.

we'll still wind up with 2 or 3 and a couple 4 stars that are fringe 5* type guys.

Which, from our not so awesome record of 4-8 last year, I will gladly take. If we get another 5 star and 3 or 4 more 4 stars, this staff has done an awesome job.

And from the way this staff methodically assess players, I feel the 3 stars will contribute more than other 3 stars in the past. They may not be starters, but will be contributing more and be quality depth.

Last edited:
Like I've said, this is how Pruitt's gonna operate. Put yourself back in time to before rankings and blogs.

Pruitt watches a kid practice/play and HE decides if the kid is what he wants, not the ranking services.
He has previously and will continue to skip recruiting 4* guys that would come to UT if they don't meet his criteria and vice versa with 3 stars.

Not defending his methods, no idea how they will work out but it's what he's going to do.
But if you're a complainer of 3 stars, at least be cautious of saying he can't recruit. Because when elite players fit his mold, he's gonna get his share of those also.

I know we will, I was just proving a point about someone questioning his recruiting ability. Didn't we pull Morris who is a 5 star?
:thumbsup:
yes. #1 OT in the country. still in good shape with Wright and Crouch who are bonafide 5*'s, and in really good shape with kris bogle, who could, and arguable should, be.

not to mention the CB's and WR's still on the board, some of which may pull the trigger in the next few days, depending on who/what you believe.....

Like I've said before about previous recruits that are supposedly best kept secrets, I hope the kid is an All American here. But there has been a recurring theme with our last 3 coaching staffs, that they are recruiting savants that seem to unearth superstars that every other coaching staff in America would love to have, yet somehow never offer, despite having similar resources and coaches who identify talent same as we do. I simply wonder, why is it different this time?

They guy camped here and performed in front of the coaches eyes. Yet for some on here the most important thing is what 247,rivals or scout thinks of him. I like looking at player rankings too, but there is so much more to it. Some on here act like the rankings are the end all. I'll take the coaches take over 247 or any rankings any day. GBO!!!!!!

Yea that whole rankings thing worked out great for us when Butch was here (blue font)...Trust Pruitt until he gives us a reason not to.Like others have said with a 4-8 record and 0 sec wins it's gonna take showing sum improvement.Kids know we ain't winning a ship,but they wanna see sumthing on the field.

Reactions: 2 people
Like I've said before about previous recruits that are supposedly best kept secrets, I hope the kid is an All American here. But there has been a recurring theme with our last 3 coaching staffs, that they are recruiting savants that seem to unearth superstars that every other coaching staff in America would love to have, yet somehow missed despite having similar resources to go out and find these kids, same as we do. I simply wonder, why is it different this time?

i'm not going to count Kiffin, just due to length of time, and the class he brought in was a complete and utter non factor in the grand scheme.

and i'll say this and acknowledge before hand that i can't really "know", b/c we haven't played a game yet, so it's all speculation...so with that....

Pruitt has 5 national titles as an asst/coordinator. he's been up for national asst coy awards, on 2 different occasions, he's been named national recruiter of the year, he's credited with recruiting/coaching some of the biggest names in the sport that have gone on to the NFL.

neither butch jones nor derek dooley come close to the resume pruitt has.

so if i was going to place a bet on which of the 3's 'evaluation system' was going to work, or be the best, i'd put the house on pruitt.:thumbsup:

just b/c it has been that way doesn't mean it has to STAY that way.:peace2:

People need to learn their lessons about falling on the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Butch couldn't coach up 3, 4, or 5 stars. We don't know yet if Pruitt and company can. People should relax a little bit and let them evaluate talent for a year or two. No one should expect us to be landing ten 5-stars in this class. But no one should expect Pruitt and Butch are equals when it comes to coaching up a 3-star, either.

Exactly! I was gonna say the same thing. It's gonna take a little time to get our reputation going again with these young recruits. If this staff can coach them up better than Butch and his crew(I think they can)it will be ok this first year. This is not something thats gonna change overnight,gotta have patience.

i'm not going to count Kiffin, just due to length of time, and the class he brought in was a complete and utter non factor in the grand scheme.

and i'll say this and acknowledge before hand that i can't really "know", b/c we haven't played a game yet, so it's all speculation...so with that....

Pruitt has 5 national titles as an asst/coordinator. he's been up for national asst coy awards, on 2 different occasions, he's been named national recruiter of the year, he's credited with recruiting/coaching some of the biggest names in the sport that have gone on to the NFL.

neither butch jones nor derek dooley come close to the resume pruitt has.

so if i was going to place a bet on which of the 3's 'evaluation system' was going to work, or be the best, i'd put the house on pruitt.:thumbsup:

just b/c it has been that way doesn't mean it has to STAY that way.:peace2:

You're right. I can't argue with you in terms of Pruitt's pedigree VS our previous two coach's. I guess it's battered Vol syndrome. With the way things have been the last 10 years, I always assume the worst.

VN Store

Back