2019 TN DT Elijah Simmons Commits to UT

It don't matter tho, cause the coaches know what their doing. Just like Butch knew what he was doing cause he wasn't Dooley. And Dooley knew what he was doing cause he was smart, had good hair, and he coached under Saban, and his dad won a NC. Meanwhile, Ga and Bama just picked up another 5* and scored on us again.

This guy's big, that's it. Staff is just HOPING they can get more out of him

And yet you continue to run your mouth about crap you obviously know nothing about. Did they pick up 5* nose tackles? Hell no. Now I’ll break it down for you real simple like, RARELY/VERY RARELY is there ever a highly rated nose tackle because they are space eaters and run stoppers for the defensive line and their stats are usually low because their job is to plug in the interior. Terrence Cody was a 3 star as well if you want another example of a true NT and how they’re not rated highly.

A lot of the whole recruiting thing is going to come down to how the team looks and how competitive they are in the fall. If all of that goes well, I think we end up with a top 12 team--not bad for this staff's first full year. Seems to me a good class is made up of maybe one or two 5 stars, eight or nine 4 stars, and the rest 3 stars--the bulk of the class will be 3 star. I don't see this class being far off of that.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
To be honest, when I first read this kid's height and weight, 6'1" 355 ibs., I was expecting to see a sloppy fat guy, but that isn't the case. He's not only big, he's big, mean, quick and agile. A track & field athlete, shot put, discus throw and ran a leg on his team's 4 z 100 relay. They say he's also a good-natured, happy warrior, which I infer as he is coachable.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ug-pKsjnE[/YOUTUBE]​

Big E has a motor! He was coming hard and from that clip those O-linemen didn’t want no part of him. You can tell he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove he can play with the best. Ive noticed a few ppl mention his height to weight ratio. Well I’d like to point out Glenn Dorsey was also 6’1” and he had a helluve a college career. Khalil was a highly touted a recruit and we saw how that played out. Now I’m not trying to compare Big E to these guys but I am saying he has the intangibles like the two I mentioned. IMO I think this is a terrific pick up. Welcome Big E! Glad you’re representing your state!

Reactions: 1 person
And yet you continue to run your mouth about crap you obviously know nothing about. Did they pick up 5* nose tackles? Hell no. Now I’ll break it down for you real simple like, RARELY/VERY RARELY is there ever a highly rated nose tackle because they are space eaters and run stoppers for the defensive line and their stats are usually low because their job is to plug in the interior. Terrence Cody was a 3 star as well if you want another example of a true NT and how they’re not rated highly.

I don't need you explanation on position rankings.

The offer list speaks for itself. Plenty of teams run a 3-4 But like I said, maybe, he just hasn't been discovered yet. All I know is, I'm tired of our biased fanbase acting like every 3* we get is a steal and that our coaches are going to "coach up" every diamond in the rough type player and have us competing with the likes of Ga and Bama. Both of which only have 1 3* each. Bamas is a kicker, Ga is one they picked out of our backyard. And both just played for a national championship. Teams built around bluechips. I get it. We don't have that luxury, but everyone needs to stop covering their eyes and expecting different results when we're going down the same road

And I'm not just singling this guy out. He does look good for a big man, but that offer list is concerning. But to be fair, it has time to grow

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

The offer list speaks for itself. Plenty of teams run a 3-4 But like I said, maybe, he just hasn't been discovered yet. All I know is, I'm tired of our biased fanbase acting like every 3* we get is a steal and that our coaches are going to "coach up" every diamond in the rough type player and have us competing with the likes of Ga and Bama. Both of which only have 1 3* each. Bamas is a kicker, Ga is one they picked out of our backyard. And both just played for a national championship. Teams built around bluechips. I get it. We don't have that luxury, but everyone needs to stop covering their eyes and expecting different results when we're going down the same road

And I'm not just singling this guy out. He does look good for a big man, but that offer list is concerning. But to be fair, it has time to grow

A lot of hard truths in this post.

Reactions: 3 people

Plenty of teams absolutely do not run a true 3-4. This still has nothing to do with the fact that nose tackles are never rated highly year in and year out.

If you’re tired of it? Do something about it. Be sure to let us know what happened. :boredom:

Reactions: 5 people
Don't act like I'm alone here

Misery loves company...time true tested. There’s always that group who’s suffered vastly more than the rest of the fanbase and needs their feeling to be addressed first. You’re tired of _____ and ____ because this coach this and that coach that...WGAF? You’ll sit and wait like the rest of us fans for someone QUALIFIED to lead us out of it. You have no choice. Be tired and let us enjoy hopeful projections or let us...we’re going to do it anyway. I’m not going to give you grief for your approach and ignore your need to bring mine downwards. :hi:

Not disparaging this kid in any way, he looks like he could be a player.

I will say I'm somewhat surprised JP has us running around the 8th best class in the conference.

I realize it's not over until signing day, but I think we can all agree we're definitely a tier below Bama, LSU, A&M and UGA.

If he consistently recruits behind these teams he's going to need to be the best overall coach in the SEC to beat them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

I will say I'm somewhat surprised JP has us running around the 8th best class in the conference.

I realize it's not over until signing day, but I think we can all agree we're definitely a tier below Bama, LSU, A&M and UGA.

If he consistently recruits behind these teams he's going to need to be the best overall coach in the SEC to beat them.

Apparently you didn't watch any videos of him at camps etc. No one can stop his bull rush. Simmons is a great pickup.

Facts! Well said VFL83!

Just because some of us choose to keep it real regarding these recruits doesn't mean were not going to support them once they step on campus. Like I said before, I hope like hell they all develop into All Americans. However anyone who looks at this kid's offer list and doesn't at least scratch their heads a little is just letting blind optimism cloud their reasoning, which is fine! You have that right. Just dont be disrespectful to us fans who'd rather take a more skeptical approach due to the data we have in front of us, i.e. ranking and offer list.

Look, it is what it is at this point. We are the cellar dwellers of the SEC right now and attracting the top blue chip talent is going to be a huge challenge. So it stands to reason that our staff is going to have to take some chances and hope to find some under the radar kids the staff can polish. I get that. It's been done by other programs before with great success. TCU does it. Boise State does it. Wisconsin does it. Stanford does it. Michigan State does it. However none of those teams have to play Georgia, Florida, and Alabama every single year.

Regarding Elija Simmons, I am curious when I look at a kid like this and wonder just how high he really was on our board and did we accept his commitment only because others said thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Facts! Well said VFL83!
Just dont be disrespectful to us fans who'd rather take a more skeptical approach due to the data we have in front of us, i.e. ranking and offer list.

Maybe you should re-read the thread.
83 came in swinging. Something about fans drooling and finishing with him being tired of other fans.

Can't suckerpunch and then claim victim.

Maybe you should re-read the thread.
83 came in swinging. Something about fans drooling and finishing with him being tired of other fans.

Can't suckerpunch and then claim victim.

Making a general statement and calling out specific forum members are two different things though.

3 star recruits may be the most divisive topic on this board. I sure hope Pruitt is the evaluator of talent some on here think he is. We sure seem to be going the diamond in the rough route a lot right now. Hopefully he can coach these guys up and field a competitive team in a year or 2. Right now recruiting has me concerned.

Reactions: 4 people

Fear not; he's already been anointed.

VN Store

Back