What irritates you the most at restaurants?

Sold em Dink......my build outs attracted an owner, of another concept, that wanted my space and paid me well for it....

Congrats. Any new concepts on the horizon or did restaurant ownership give you more gray hairs than you liked?

You can bet if the guy had left and DUI’d his car into someone’s living room the attorney would be asking why the bartender ignored policy and gave him 33% more alcohol than intended.

The guy left a $4 tip on a $60 tab. I don't think he's paying for an attorney.

Reactions: 1 person
Aside from how it was handled, on a personal level I just don’t get how some people are always just looking for an angle to get something for free. Even if the customer honestly thought that the menu indicated he should have gotten a 16 oz pour instead of 12, all he should be looking for is a 25% reduction on the tab. Of course, if he looks back and realizes he just read it wrong, he should just say “dumbass me” and enjoy his beer.

I don’t know why it is but whenever we feel wronged or outraged about anything (even when legitimately so) we want things given to us for free or we want someone fired. What the hell is wrong with just squaring things up?

I agree. And it's not like the drink went out and he got mad that his glass was smaller. He asked about the drink and was told that it was high grav and started making a fuss about it being 12oz instead of 16oz, because he thought the menu said it was 16oz. "Well you should just pour me a 16oz." Sorry that you walked in a charity case who can't read and we weren't prepared to give you more than you're paying for

I agree. And it's not like the drink went out and he got mad that his glass was smaller. He asked about the drink and was told that it was high grav and started making a fuss about it being 12oz instead of 16oz, because he thought the menu said it was 16oz. "Well you should just pour me a 16oz." Sorry that you walked in a charity case who can't read and we weren't prepared to give you more than you're paying for

Here is some unwanted advise......in your next management interview......when the owner asks you to give an example of how you handled a disgruntled customer.......don't use this story.......speaking as a former owner that is.......jmo

Here is some unwanted advise......in your next management interview......when the owner asks you to give an example of how you handled a disgruntled customer.......don't use this story.......speaking as a former owner that is.......jmo

What, a guy telling a bartender that she should give him more beer because he didn't read the menu correctly was improperly handled because she didn't just say ok and give him more beer?

We have a motto.
"We're a great place to start, but not to finish"
We want you to get to your next destination safely. Wether it's another bar or home...
"I'm not driving..." Doesn't mean you won't walk into an oncoming vehicle. Dram shop laws means 3rd party liability. I've had the unfortunate moment of being approached by TBI during my shift regarding an incident the previous night. I served him responsibly... Someone else didn't.... But I think about that kid every day that passes.
If youre ever "cut off", please don't get pissy. A bartender or server may not be the one to pull the trigger, but we do our best to unload the weapon.

We have a motto.
"We're a great place to start, but not to finish"
We want you to get to your next destination safely. Wether it's another bar or home...
"I'm not driving..." Doesn't mean you won't walk into an oncoming vehicle. Dram shop laws means 3rd party liability. I've had the unfortunate moment of being approached by TBI during my shift regarding an incident the previous night. I served him responsibly... Someone else didn't.... But I think about that kid every day that passes.
If youre ever "cut off", please don't get pissy. A bartender or server may not be the one to pull the trigger, but we do our best to unload the weapon.
Good luck unloading these two guns. I’ll give you tickets to the next show

Aside from how it was handled, on a personal level I just don’t get how some people are always just looking for an angle to get something for free. Even if the customer honestly thought that the menu indicated he should have gotten a 16 oz pour instead of 12, all he should be looking for is a 25% reduction on the tab. Of course, if he looks back and realizes he just read it wrong, he should just say “dumbass me” and enjoy his beer.

I don’t know why it is but whenever we feel wronged or outraged about anything (even when legitimately so) we want things given to us for free or we want someone fired. What the hell is wrong with just squaring things up?

Could've been handled better, AND that customer is an unnecessarily difficult jackass. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I find that bad patrons flock together.

Pick your battles, but sometimes the negative word of mouth from a turd customer isn't the worst thing.

What, a guy telling a bartender that she should give him more beer because he didn't read the menu correctly was improperly handled because she didn't just say ok and give him more beer?

I support you. It's the same as if someone at Walmart read a price at 13 dollars and it was actually 31 dollars. And then demanded the 13 dollar price at checkout because they read it wrong. Makes no sense to me.

I'm all for pleasing the customer, but only up to a reasonable point. If they're complaining about something like that (where they made an obvious mistake), then they likely aren't the type of customer you want to keep around as far as your staff are concerned.

Remember, bad customers can spread word as well. "At X restaurant, you can complain and get stuff for free, etc.". Not the type of business you want to be attracting. I agree with how your bartender handled it.

I find that bad patrons flock together.

Pick your battles, but sometimes the negative word of mouth from a turd customer isn't the worst thing.

Bad patrons do flock together. Makes perfect sense. And pick your battles is a wise word of advice for servers/bartenders. Be prudent with them. Don't let a bad night dictate where you draw the line. Be firm with where you stand and stick to it. Emotion is never a good indicator on how to make decisions. I, for one, trust logic and reason as much as possible.

But trying to encourage repeat business is the name of the game. Except for Biopsy... He can cook for himself as far as I'm concerned. He might complain about that too, though...

Tuesdays are weird.
I start off by having a bum fight out front, a lady letting me know several times she use to tend bar & "this isnt how Bravo makes it". A young gal proudly flashing her ladybojangles to everyone, two bros swapping shirts in full view, another bro broke a glass & sliced his hand and lost enough blood to fill said glass, at one point I though arepostle had a sale on sleeveless tees today because it was bicep city tonight, & the host stand recieveing prank calls....
Never a dull moment here...

Bad patrons do flock together. Makes perfect sense. And pick your battles is a wise word of advice for servers/bartenders. Be prudent with them. Don't let a bad night dictate where you draw the line. Be firm with where you stand and stick to it. Emotion is never a good indicator on how to make decisions. I, for one, trust logic and reason as much as possible.

But trying to encourage repeat business is the name of the game. Except for Biopsy... He can cook for himself as far as I'm concerned. He might complain about that too, though...

He used to cook for himself but he quit because the service sucked and the tips were crap.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back