What irritates you the most at restaurants?

She came to me well after it happened. She's our other assistant manager, but below me. She was just bartending last night. I approved of the way she handled it.

Cool, no big deal. However, Im assuming this was his first time there or at least first time ordering that beer, maybe both. Under that circumstance, I would have just sucked it up and bought him another one or comped the one he already had. I'm all about people leaving happy and I ain't letting them leave unhappy over a beer. Just me tho.

Cool, no big deal. However, Im assuming this was his first time there or at least first time ordering that beer, maybe both. Under that circumstance, I would have just sucked it up and bought him another one or comped the one he already had. I'm all about people leaving happy and I ain't letting them leave unhappy over a beer. Just me tho.

I do not get bucking up against the guy......comp that one or pour him the extra ounces and tell him what the next one will cost/be......

Reactions: 1 person
I do not get bucking up against the guy......comp that one or pour him the extra ounces and tell him what the next one will cost/be......

Yea, sometimes I think situations like that can be turned into long term excellent guest/customers relationships for the cost of a beer.

She said once they got over that, everything was fine the rest of the meal. I saw the table at one point and I was frankly shocked when she explained the situation that it was that table instead of the hooligans at the booth next to them. Basically caught both of us off guard.

Yea, sometimes I think situations like that can be turned into long term excellent guest/customers relationships for the cost of a beer.

How often does that become excellent guest/customer relationship when it starts with "I read this wrong but I'm right so give me what I incorrectly thought I should be getting because the customer is always right"?

Reactions: 4 people
She's been back a couple more times. None this week.

Last night one of my bartenders had a problem with a guest. A guy read our beer menu incorrectly and expected his Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in a 16oz pour. As it's one of our high gravs, it's only in 12oz glasses. He said that since the incorrect way is the way that he read it, and since the customer is always right, he should get it in 16oz. Ended up leaving her $4 on $60. Jackass.

They sell that beer all the time at Cedar Bluff Wines.

Last edited:
How often does that become excellent guest/customer relationship when it starts with "I read this wrong but I'm right so give me what I incorrectly thought I should be getting because the customer is always right"?

"No problem sir, tell you what, if you want another one...its on me, if not Ill take care of the one you already had.How's that? Was that the first time you've had that particular type? How'd you like it? I haven't tried it yet, maybe next time you come in ask for me and well have one together".....something along those lines. How often do you think that would end the best possible way?

I was not there, but it sounds like ego got in the way.......I can not believe two people "liked" this response either......

"because the customer is always right"

And the customer can also be a total prick for no reason.

"because the customer is always right"

And the customer can also be a total prick for no reason.

Absolutely.......but that is not the way that customer is going to tell the story.....over....and over......and over........

I was not there, but it sounds like ego got in the way.......I can not believe two people "liked" this response either......

High gravity beers are poured in the amount in which they're poured so it helps with ensuring we aren't putting piss-ass drunks onto the roads, making our servers and business liable. Tennessee law has changed to make "high gravity" be 10% and higher. In my restaurant, we made the decision to consider 8% and higher high gravity. Whether law allows us to pour it or not, we are not going to let people get wasted and leave. I applaud my bartender/manager for doing what is right by the person, whether or not he thought he was right.

Reactions: 3 people
High gravity beers are poured in the amount in which they're poured so it helps with ensuring we aren't putting piss-ass drunks onto the roads, making our servers and business liable. Tennessee law has changed to make "high gravity" be 10% and higher. In my restaurant, we made the decision to consider 8% and higher high gravity. Whether law allows us to pour it or not, we are not going to let people get wasted and leave. I applaud my bartender/manager for doing what is right by the person, whether or not he thought he was right.

Understood.......That does not excuse the way this situation was handled imo......but, you are in charge there and you can justify it any way you like......

Understood.......That does not excuse the way this situation was handled imo......but, you are in charge there and you can justify it any way you like......

You can bet if the guy had left and DUI’d his car into someone’s living room the attorney would be asking why the bartender ignored policy and gave him 33% more alcohol than intended.

You can bet if the guy had left and DUI’d his car into someone’s living room the attorney would be asking why the bartender ignored policy and gave him 33% more alcohol than intended.

Never mind I was wrong.

Last edited:

Over serving him is not the issue in this case....they only served him 12 oz when he thought he was getting 16......you tells him, sorry for the confusion, enjoy that 12 oz on me, but realize that we only serve it in 12 oz portions because it is high gravity and the state of TN regulates it.......

Reactions: 3 people
Over serving him is not the issue in this case....they only served him 12 oz when he thought he was getting 16......you tells him, sorry for the confusion, enjoy that 12 oz on me, but realize that we only serve it in 12 oz portions because it is high gravity and the state of TN regulates it.......

Agree.

Remember the ole industry rule.......a happy customer tells 2 or 3 people.....an upset customer tells 10 or 12 people.....

Aside from how it was handled, on a personal level I just don’t get how some people are always just looking for an angle to get something for free. Even if the customer honestly thought that the menu indicated he should have gotten a 16 oz pour instead of 12, all he should be looking for is a 25% reduction on the tab. Of course, if he looks back and realizes he just read it wrong, he should just say “dumbass me” and enjoy his beer.

I don’t know why it is but whenever we feel wronged or outraged about anything (even when legitimately so) we want things given to us for free or we want someone fired. What the hell is wrong with just squaring things up?

The "you need to give that to me for free" is VERY prominent here in south FL with all the snowbirds...... and they do not tip worth a shat.........

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back