Recruiting Forum Football Talk LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Chryst is going to be the starter

I think JG starts vs West Virginia, but no way do we make it half way through the season without Chryst getting the opportunity to take the job. Whether it be JG struggles, or he gets banged up, Chryst will hit the field and that will be his opportunity to take.

The state of Tennessee produces the players to be in it every year. We just need a coach that will get them here.

I know Hank has said something similar so I wanted to dispel this thinking. It really isn't fair to have these kind of expectations.

In this years mlb the state of Tenn had the second lowest number of Hs selections of any state in the SEC.

Here are the numbers:
1 Alabama
3 Tenn, Ark, Louisiana, South Carolina, Kentucky
5 Mississippi
6 Missouri
19 Georgia
22 Texas
40 Florida

Year end and year out the numbers are similar. It's why schools like Arkansas will always be good. They can get Texas players in state tuition. Similar deal with LSU. And then obviously florida and Georgia.

I hope JG wins it because I think he really is a Vol at heart, on the other hand Chryst is just a mercenary. I'm glad we got him, but he is a mercenary. I really hope JG wins it, I like the kid.

Reactions: 7 people
I think Keller will be the starter, no doubt we need the other guys no matter who it is to be ready. But I think Chryst experience is going to show here, I love his big frame also. GBO!!!!

Last edited:
They like Chryst's experience and think he'll make better decisions under pressure. I'm not sure they completely trust JG's decision-making. From most accounts, JG has come a long way this spring and is ready to compete. But unless he's hands above in fall camp, experience is probably going to win out, at least initially.

Reactions: 2 people
But unless he's hands above in fall camp, experience is probably going to win out, at least initially.

I really think this is backwards thinking by the coaches. Imo if it's close then JG has to start. It's on Chryst to be hands down above to win the job because of the future implications

Reactions: 5 people
Chryst borderline sucked at Stanford..I don't see how he is gonna do any better against the SEC. I'm not on the Chryst train at all...JG far outstrips him in potential. Chryst has liitle unearthed potential to mine IMO.

Reactions: 7 people
I can't believe I agree with brubear..I'm going to leave this discussion now, he will argue this till y'alls heads explode..no need for me.

I can't believe I agree with brubear..I'm going to leave this discussion now, he will argue this till y'alls heads explode..no need for me.

Lol.

I think there are slightly more that would agree with me on this one.
Maybe 2/3 side with JG is my guess.

I really don't side with him just want him to win the job for the futures sake

Some people overestimate JG's ability to run an offense in high-pressure situations. Game management and timing have been issues for him. He's worked hard to get better, so hopefully, he has. I think both Chryst and JG will play. Whether that will be enough for JG, who knows.

Some people overestimate JG's ability to run an offense in high-pressure situations. Game management and timing have been issues for him. He's worked hard to get better, so hopefully, he has. I think both Chryst and JG will play. Whether that will be enough for JG, who knows.

Keep in mind he’s only started something like 6 games and was a redshirt freshman under one of the worst offensive coaching staffs I've ever laid my eyes on. There’s sill time to get the management part down. He wasn’t gonna come in like Iceman and drop dimes on Bama in his first start under those circumstances.

Reactions: 3 people

Chryst hasnt done any better, especially when you consider the FACT that he had a infintely better team around him in a conference that mostly treats defense as an afterthought.

JG was a RS freshman with a garbage Ol, and garbage coaches in the toughest league in CFB. You might wanna keep those FACTS in mind when estimating him.

Last edited:

I’m starting to think JG may not transfer if he isn’t the starter. If that is the case, and the coaches are confident he would stay, I may lean towards starting Chryst this year and then JG would likely be the man next year, or take over this year if Chryst struggles

Chryst hasnt done any better, especially when you consider the FACT that he had a infintely better team around him in a conference that mostly treats defense as an afterthought.

JG was a RS freshman with a garbage Ol, and garbage coaches in the toughest league in CFB. You might wanna keep those FACTS in mind when judging him.

I'm not judging him-- the coaches are. That's what they're paid to do-- evaluate players and play those they think give the team the best chance to win. Do you go off like this every time you read an article or quote from the coaches that doesn't agree with your OPINION?

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not judging him-- the coaches are. That's what they're paid to do-- evaluate players and play those they think give the team the best chance to win. Do you go off like this every time you read an article or quote from the coaches that doesn't agree with your OPINION?

Going off? I'm just really disagreeing with you, and just because guys get paid a lot of money don't mean they aren't wrong sometimes, and sometimes a lot..even the best.

Jeez..calm down. I'm just conversatin..

Chryst winning the job is a nightmare scenario IMO. He’s already proven to be incredibly mediocre (if not bad) and will be here for a year. JG will surely transfer if he doesn’t get the job which will leave us with McBride, shrout, and whoever we get in 2019.

Roll with JG and let him develop. He’s only a RS sophomore. He can’t get better under pressure until he gets experience in those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back