2018 Record

6-6 is our ceiling this year and nobody should be mad about it. You can’t go winless in the league and expect to turn around the next year under a new regime and win 8-9 games.

In no way is 6 wins our ceiling. A likely outcome maybe, but not ceiling. Personally I'm expecting 6 to 8 wins, with a 10 win ceiling, 4 win floor.

Beat our cupcakes = 3 wins
KY Vandy Mizzou = 3 wins

West Virginia, Florida, and South Carolina are toss ups imo. We prob win one of those, two if breaks go our way.

So 6-8 regular season wins in my two cents.
This. We need to get back to being an upper tier SEC team. That means beating the lower section of the East consistently every year. We should always beat Kentucky, Vanderbilt and at present Missouri. South Carolina is in the middle and the East should belong to Georgia, Tennessee or Florida every year. My only critique of your analysis is that Florida and South Carolina will both be favored over us and West Virginia, Auburn, Alabama and Georgia will all be favored to beat us handily. We may beat Florida and or South Carolina and have a seven or eight win season and that would be absolutely fantastic! But I think six and six is still a great goal for this season as we are rebuilding a team that is young due to early drafts and transfers (understandably) and has been very confused due to poor coaching.

GO VOLS!

UT will beat:UTEP,ETSU,Charlotte,Mizzou

UT could beat: UF,UK,WV

UT will not beat:UA,AU,UGA,USCjr,Vandy

UT will not win a road game in the SEC period. I don't believe that is negotioable with a first time first year head coach. Yeah that's right I believe we have a better chance at beating UF at home having a first year head coach than Vandy or USCjr on the road.

I believe the worst case is another 4 win season and the best possible case is 7 wins which would take a herculean effort.

I'm going to give them 2 out of 3 of the could-beats and say 6 total wins but that's based more on my bias(and hope) as a UT fan.

Also,how strange would it be to beat UF and only win 6 games in the same season? Has that ever happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

UT will not win a road game in the SEC period. I don't believe that is negotioable with a first time first year head coach. Yeah that's right I believe we have a better chance at beating UF at home having a first year head coach than Vandy or USCjr on the road.

I believe the worst case is another 4 win season and the best possible case is 7 wins which would take a herculean effort.

I'm going to give them 2 out of 3 of the could-beats and say 6 total wins but that's based more on my bias(and hope) as a UT fan.

Also,how strange would it be to beat UF and only win 6 games in the same season? Has that ever happened?

The coldest take I've seen all offseason. And that's with OD posting two threads a day.

Vandy and USC are no chance games, but WV is a toss up? Because Vandy is a road game? Please explain how the 3 hour drive to Nashville and a crowd that is 80% orange is more daunting than a true neutral site game against a much superior and highly favored team?

Reactions: 2 people
etsu, utep, charlotte--w's
aub, bama, ga--l's

win 3-4 of the remaining 6. go to a bowl. close the 19 class. move on to bigger/better things in the future.

and yes, 6-6 or 7-5 with a win over FL and Vandy would be a very good start for this staff, and it would sit well with fans.

beat UF and WVU, and you're staring at an 8 win season potentially.

that 5 game stretch in the middle of the season tho, kinda makes it hard to really start picking w's afterwards, cause there's no telling what kind of shape we'll be in healthwise after it.

i'm in the 6-6/7-5 camp.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person

If Pruitt is worth his salt, then he should be able to win a road game against a Vanderbilt by the end of his first season. If not, then we have problems.

to be fair, we already have problems.

True, but Vandy is the last game of the season. If Pruitt is the coach we all hope that he is, then he should be able to find a way to win against a pre-season-projected 3-9 Vanderbilt.

This season is one big mystery....
But It It think that may play in our favor.

Attachments

• SCOOBY DOO GIF.gif
    SCOOBY DOO GIF.gif
    878.8 KB · Views: 2
I don't care what the media wind bags predict.
If Butch can win 9 win seasons, Pruitt can his first go.
I think 9 wins is obtainable, 10 and we are cookin with peanut oil. 9 is my bar.
8 wins acceptable, but we can win more, below my expectations.
7 and below, I don't think it is happening you negaVol sheep. Funny how everyone takes another opinion and runs with it.
Losses last season? Yeah, the team quit on Butch, as they should have. He was a joke, a tool, turkey and the team knows what football looks like now. Trained by the best. Yeah quite probably the best top to bottom coaching staff.
Nigel Warrior is going to go on a rampage.
9 wins.
9 wins are easily obtainable. Which me being an optimist I think we can every game but realistically we probably lose to Ga Bama and Auburn. Wva is a toss up. We wipe the floor with Fla and SC. I hate the low expectations.

Beat our cupcakes = 3 wins
KY Vandy Mizzou = 3 wins

West Virginia, Florida, and South Carolina are toss ups imo. We prob win one of those, two if breaks go our way.

So 6-8 regular season wins in my two cents.

I remember when KY, Vandy and Missouri were considered to be the cupcakes.

Reactions: 3 people
All the off-season positive news, grad transfers, incoming freshmen, and workout videos are great but they won’t take us from 4 wins to 8 or 9 wins. Some folks are just a year ahead of themselves.

Let’s nail those 6 wins and more importantly a top 3 SEC class. Now, our expectations are aligned. You’re welcome.

I remember when KY, Vandy and Missouri were considered to be the cupcakes.

Missouri was considered a cupcake before we ever played them a single game. One year changed all that. The first step towards beating these teams again (or for the first time) is for everyone involved to stop making light of them and taking UT's success for granted. Resting on laurels is my major fear for the athletic department going forward, because there is a history of that behavior from some of the folks involved. As a fanbase we do not need to mimic those self-destructive characteristics of a lazy leader.

I think West Virginia is the deciding factor. That's a big test for our offense and defense and if we beat them I think 8 to 9 wins is not out of the question. Florida shouldn't be any better than us in their first year, south Carolina may be a challenge but with better coaching we wouldn't have a losing streak with them to begin with, Kentucky and Vanderbilt lose big parts of their offenses and shouldn't be a problem by the end of the year, and Missouri is basically just like West Virginia, so if we win that first game we will either have a good defense, good offense, good coaching or a combination of the three, and with that we should be okay with the rest of the schedule minus auburn, Alabama, and georgia. If we dominate West Virginia, then it's possible we have a good shot against those teams as well. First game of the season and under this coach, and if we win that game obviously we either out scored one of the better offenses in the country or stopped them with our defense and either or both of those in the first game shows we have had some great development.

9 wins are easily obtainable. Which me being an optimist I think we can every game but realistically we probably lose to Ga Bama and Auburn. Wva is a toss up. We wipe the floor with Fla and SC. I hate the low expectations.

We need to start out 4-0 beating the brakes off of FL.
Loss to Bama and GA
Auburn- toss up.
FL-toss up
We can win both toss ups and be 10-2.

Should handle W. Virginia, S. Carolina, KY, Vandy, Missu, and the cupcakes.

It is also possible we don't lose to GA and Bama.
I'm sticking to 9 wins,
10 wins is possible
8 wins is underachieving
7 wins just isn't going to happen.

In no way is 6 wins our ceiling. A likely outcome maybe, but not ceiling. Personally I'm expecting 6 to 8 wins, with a 10 win ceiling, 4 win floor.

That is a high ceiling and low floor, not going too far out on that limb there are ya? We aren't winning just 6. I seriously doubt we win 7. 8 much more likely than 6 or 7,

But folks, I'm telling you, the King has spoken:

9 wins

Fact is Pruitt as HBC is unknown. We have decent OL and DL, but little depth. Secondary is greatest liability... luckily that is Pruitt's wheelhouse. They will have to have a short memory come the WV game. That said, be it Chryst or JG, good QB play can cover over many deficiencies. This will determine difference in a 5-7 and 8-4 year.

Not if Pruitt is the right coach. Lots' of coaches win with less. The difference in beating teams like USCe and UF this year is coaching. He likely doesn't have the talent to win all of those games or beat the big three on the schedule. But if he doesn't win the majority of games against teams with roughly equal talent then he's not the right guy.

And... I think he might be the guy. He at least talks, acts, and thinks like a coach without the magic green notebook.

I think CJP is the right guy and has put together a staff to make it happen.
I think the offense will surprise a lot of us.
There are 3 games that most consider a loss. The rest are all winnable games and i don't think there is any way this staff lets us lose to them. Heck, even Jones was unbeaten against Spurrier.
So my guess is 9-3 minimum. 10-2stretch because they might find a way to take 1 of the 3 "unwinnable games.

Even though Behr didn't make an actual prediction, I think this is what he really wants to say. 😁

I still have my day job.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back