Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

White Stores on Western Avenue, the same shopping center where Planet Fitness and Autozone are now. Sticking to Western Avenue, anyone remember Checker's Pizza in the same area? Pretty sure that Pizza Hut is sitting on the very same lot now.

La Quinta Inn on Cedar Bluff - I think it might be a Motel 6 now?
Denny's on Cedar Bluff right next to La Quinta Inn. Anyone ever notice there was always a Denny's near a La Quinta Inn? What was that ever about?

Check out this photo: http://whiterealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Bearden-Center.jpg

Pretty sure that's the strip mall at Bearden Rd. and Kingston Pike, the very same where Food City is now.

The shopping center off cedar bluff on Executive Park Dr. used to have this old shoe store and the shoe store had a mini carousel inside the store. In the same shopping center there used to be a Fantastic Sams as well. If memory serves correctly there also used to be an old Chinese restaurant in there and what was unique about it was that when you walked into the restaurant you got to walk over this little bridge that had a little stream underneath it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
White Stores on Western Avenue, the same shopping center where Planet Fitness and Autozone are now. Sticking to Western Avenue, anyone remember Checker's Pizza in the same area? Pretty sure that Pizza Hut is sitting on the very same lot now.

La Quinta Inn on Cedar Bluff - I think it might be a Motel 6 now?
Denny's on Cedar Bluff right next to La Quinta Inn. Anyone ever notice there was always a Denny's near a La Quinta Inn? What was that ever about?

Check out this photo: http://whiterealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Bearden-Center.jpg

Pretty sure that's the strip mall at Bearden Rd. and Kingston Pike, the very same where Food City is now.

The shopping center off cedar bluff on Executive Park Dr. used to have this old shoe store and the shoe store had a mini carousel inside the store. In the same shopping center there used to be a Fantastic Sams as well. If memory serves correctly there also used to be an old Chinese restaurant in there and what was unique about it was that when you walked into the restaurant you got to walk over this little bridge that had a little stream underneath it.

That's Bearden Center. Long's became Henderson-Floyd, Coffin's moved to the right side of Whiteway. There was also a building to the left of the picture (perpendicular to the pictured building) with a jewelry store and a few other businesses. It was maybe added after the pic was taken... those cars kind of date it as the 1950s. It was attached to the drug store by a roof/cover that you drove under iirc.

Since we’re on the topic of old buildings and things like that, and several people in this thread seem connected and up to date...did anything ever come out of the discussions about the Civic Coliseum?

I know Rogero said best option was to rebuild on site while renovating the Auditorium, but that was the last I heard of it.

Came up in a discussion about the Ice Bears. They seem to be doing well business-wise, probably deserve a nicer place and a chance to move up to true farm league.

Here's another one I remember from my days at UT...Harvey Washbangers.

reminds me of a story.....we recently did the dog and pony tour at UTC for my son. Most of the dorms there have a washer and dryer included in the room but there are a couple of dorms with the old school laundry room like we had except with a modern upgrade. The laundry rooms are key card access and only people that live in that dorm can use the room. The kicker - you download an app and it will show you when your machine is done and what machines are open. Our guide said he watched it for a while and figured out that at 4:00pm on tuesdays no one uses the machines so he goes in a gets it done in about 1.5 hrs

Sure wish I had some kind of app telling me how many machines were available in Greve before I took everything downstairs for one machine

Reactions: 2 people
Since we’re on the topic of old buildings and things like that, and several people in this thread seem connected and up to date...did anything ever come out of the discussions about the Civic Coliseum?

I know Rogero said best option was to rebuild on site while renovating the Auditorium, but that was the last I heard of it.

Came up in a discussion about the Ice Bears. They seem to be doing well business-wise, probably deserve a nicer place and a chance to move up to true farm league.

Its odd theres been no news on coliseum replacement. Ice bears are not important enough alone to warrant a new building. Im also fairly confident that current ownership would not have the expendable funds to get involved in the echl, which is much more expensive. It is more risky because nhl is not putting much support to farm teams below the ahl.

reminds me of a story.....we recently did the dog and pony tour at UTC for my son. Most of the dorms there have a washer and dryer included in the room but there are a couple of dorms with the old school laundry room like we had except with a modern upgrade. The laundry rooms are key card access and only people that live in that dorm can use the room. The kicker - you download an app and it will show you when your machine is done and what machines are open. Our guide said he watched it for a while and figured out that at 4:00pm on tuesdays no one uses the machines so he goes in a gets it done in about 1.5 hrs

Sure wish I had some kind of app telling me how many machines were available in Greve before I took everything downstairs for one machine

I remember the days of lugging laundry around in hopes of getting a machine. I would usually go early, early in the AM.

Its odd theres been no news on coliseum replacement. Ice bears are not important enough alone to warrant a new building. Im also fairly confident that current ownership would not have the expendable funds to get involved in the echl, which is much more expensive. It is more risky because nhl is not putting much support to farm teams below the ahl.

I probably shouldn’t have linked the two. The KCC came up in a discussion of the Ice Bears, and I’m fully aware a minor league hockey team will never warrant their own building (at least in the southeast). They could definitely be an important component to a new arena, but not the primary driver.

Mainly, I just consider the Coliseum (and how it’s aged) a borderline embarrassment to the city. Really seems like they are missing an opportunity to add to how the city center is changing.

I probably shouldn’t have linked the two. The KCC came up in a discussion of the Ice Bears, and I’m fully aware a minor league hockey team will never warrant their own building (at least in the southeast). They could definitely be an important component to a new arena, but not the primary driver.

Mainly, I just consider the Coliseum (and how it’s aged) a borderline embarrassment to the city. Really seems like they are missing an opportunity to add to how the city center is changing.

Not sure how old it is but it already seemed outdated in the 70's.

I was young but still remember those, especially the shoe store. Buster browns?

It's an embarrassment when you see other arenas, even in the SPHL. I just wonder if building a new coliseum becomes an excuse for the city and SMG to push out hockey.

It's an embarrassment when you see other arenas, even in the SPHL. I just wonder if building a new coliseum becomes an excuse for the city and SMG to push out hockey.

Man that would be odd, especially the way they seem to draw. I can’t imagine they’re clogging up that many dates. I mean, plenty of other arenas balance both.

Overall though, even if hockey had died in Knoxville after the Cherokees or the Speed , it’s still an embarrassment as far as concerts, wrestling shows, etc.

I agree, it’s very odd nothing else ever came of the studies and discussion.

Knoxville really screwed up loading up on debt and building the convention center. Don't really need to sell even more bonds to build a replacement for the Coliseum.

Last edited:
Knoxville really screwed up loading up on debt and building the convention center. Don't really need to sell even more bonds to build a replacement for the Coleseum.

I know that’s sad but true.

Don’t get me started on that damn convention center. Of all the things it could have been...it’s that. Drives me insane.

Cedar Hills Golf Course in Lenoir City.

One of my many hilarious tee shots happened there, many years ago. My brother and I were on a par 3, and I think the green backed up to Beals Chapel. I hit a high slice, and my brother immediately yelled something like "oh, #$@*!" A lady on a tractor appeared driving around the right of the green, and we watched in horrified/giddy anticipation as the ball descended. It hit squarely on the hood of the John Deere and she jumped like a bomb had gone off. It was really funny once we were sure that no one had died.

The best part is that this is probably only about #3 on my all-time tee shot stories.

I think people forget that the Coliseum and the Auditorium are one large building. Hard to renovate one side and not the other.

I was young but still remember those, especially the shoe store. Buster browns?

I can't remember. I'd have to use a lifeline and call my mom. :)

We will never get a new coliseum until the powers that be in city government find other means to fund 'services' currently paid for by the 4.5% +/- amusement tax. This is paid on all events deemed entertainment. This includes major concert acts who have refused to come to Knoxville for decades.

They get their 5% for ???. The community gets stiffed by many entertainers who refuse to appear in Knoxville, so we can't afford a new coliseum.

VN Store

Back