USC OC Tee Martin 'disappointed' not to get interview with Tennessee

Additionally, he voiced support for Greg Schiano, the coach that Tennessee had all-but-signed until an overwhelmingly negative reaction from the fan base led then-athletic director John Currie to back out after a signed memorandum of understanding.

"It was a tough deal," Martin said. "I have a lot of respect for Greg and what he's done in his career as a football coach. When his name came up, I thought, 'Wow, he's a really good football coach.' I thought it would have been a good fit.

"Obviously, it didn't happen and it kind of took its path of however that happened. It is what it is. I can't really speak too much to what went into that. But when the name initially got announced, I was like, 'that's a heckuva coach.' "

wow.

Reactions: 3 people
Greg Schiano's Resume:

* 68-67 college record (50.4%)
* 1 really good season in 11 (with Ray Rice), the only season that his team ended the season ranked
* 4-18 against ranked opponents
* outscored by ranked opponents 779-415 over career, with an average per game score of 35-19
* 11-21 NFL record (34.4%)
* hated by his own players in NFL
* hated by most of the rest of the NFL
* employed questionable tactics, including blitzing the other team while they were in victory formation. Last year, the Rams did something similar, and in the game summary, the author actually said that the Rams "pulled a Schiano"
* cursed out by Peyton Manning
* hasn't had a head coaching job since getting canned by Tampa Bay in 2013. Unknown whether anyone has even approached him with a job
* may have witnessed, and covered up, one of the most heinous ongoing criminal act in college sports history

Last edited:
Reactions: 73 people

He would have been a very good coach, but I think we did very well with our new coach. I think he will likely do better because of his experience with the SEC and the coaches with whom he coaches at UA,UGa, and FSU. He put together a great recruiting team of coaches and the future looks very bright for our VOLs.

Reactions: 5 people
UT needs to hurry up with the south side renovation of Neyland Stadium so that Tee Martin Drive can be dug up and eliminated from the map.

Reactions: 16 people
If Schiano's coaching ability is so good, he'll have no trouble getting a job somewhere, right? They'll be knocking down his door. Won't they?

Reactions: 24 people
Tee was not ready. I am one of his biggest fans but his resume was not quite there yet. I think I would have been good if he was a head coach in waiting for a few years under Les or Cutcliffe but at this point I would rather have the coach who has trained under Saban.

Reactions: 10 people
Don't be down on Tee. Coaches have to be diplomatic about other coaches. You never know who you might be working with down the road.

Reactions: 12 people
? This ranks up there with the Vol Faithful that wanted to hire Tyler to replace Pat?? CheeezzzzLouise.....it is a stretch to call him an OC. He "sometimes" call plays.
It is just plain silly to even have the discussion :crazy:

Reactions: 7 people
If Schiano's coaching ability is so good, he'll have no trouble getting a job somewhere, right? They'll be knocking down his door. Won't they?

One would think, but if he did, he would have no basis for suing the university for the actions of it's fanbase and a few politicians. Good luck with that one.

I would have supported Tee, but now that he comes out talking about how great of a coach Schiano is, he has plenty of former teammates with a differing viewpoint of him. Sounds like he is wanting to make sure Tennessee never considers him in the future.

Reactions: 2 people
Tee won national championship he deserves the respect of all VFL....Period..once a vol always a vol.

Let me say it a little stronger: Martin was the leader on the only UT team in modern history to exhibit even one minute speck of relevance. I don't know if he would ever make a good head coach, but everyone on this board should bow down and worship the ground he walks on and his every word: we will never, never have it so good again. Keep running those smart mouths; each 5 win season will seem so satisfying.

Reactions: 2 people
How quickly you discount one of our greatest VFL's in favor of a guy who grew up hating Tennessee, a guy who is Bama through and through, and at this very moment is trying to help Bama win a championship. He may wear an orange shirt, but his drawers are crimson.
You can bank on it. Jeremy Pru Bammer.

UT needs to hurry up with the south side renovation of Neyland Stadium so that Tee Martin Drive can be dug up and eliminated from the map.

Reactions: 3 people
Excuse me but who does Tee’s team play in a bowl game this week? Oh that’s right, OSU and defensive coordinator Greg Schiano. You guys really think Tee’s not going to give props to GS now?

Reactions: 4 people
If I am not mistaken Tee and the Vols finished with a 9 and 3 record in 1999. We really had many bounces go our way in 1998. He will always be a hero in my eyes but I don't think he is ready for head coach at TN at this time.

Let me say it a little stronger: Martin was the leader on the only UT team in modern history to exhibit even one minute speck of relevance. I don't know if he would ever make a good head coach, but everyone on this board should bow down and worship the ground he walks on and his every word: we will never, never have it so good again. Keep running those smart mouths; each 5 win season will seem so satisfying.

Jesus snob myself. Pray to dirt if you want. :)

VN Store

Back