Jacob Eason Transferring?

If there was no disincentive to transfer, every player could leave and go somewhere else every year. You'd have coaches recruiting players off of active NCAA rosters.

I don't have any objection to the NCAA opening up transfers during coaching changes or other unique situations, but you can't have chaos.

I agree with you - - we certainly can't have coaches recruiting rostered players and it would lead to chaos if it happened.

But this kid lost his job due to injury and will not get it back.

Maybe a little flexibility.............

So go to JUCO and go where you want, like Kamara or Cam. I’m sorry, if I’m a coach I’m not letting Peyton Manning wake up one morning and decide he’s going to Bama because his girlfriend broke up with him last night.

If you're an administrator and we're talking about any other student, you don't have a choice in the matter.

You mean like coaches who sign a commitment to coach at a certain school? I agree

So you are in favor of kids getting a buyout clause on their letters? How about the school simply insists that the school they are transferring too reimburse all of their expenses for the time at the school. Would make Eason untouchable at this point.

And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with being known as the team who is fair to players? I like the idea that recruits would look at us and say "If I lose my starting job to a younger player, they won't stand in my way if I transfer."

We'd win some recruits and we'd lose some bench players, but we'd be doing the right thing.

Now you, yeah, you are this ridiculous.

Does he really have a choice if the rule applies no matter where he commits?

We're arguing for a rule change so that we're not compelling teenagers to make decisions that can hurt their near and long-term future.

So you are in to making them employees?

I'm only talking about cases where a player has been benched for somebody younger. If Eason were sitting the bench behind a senior, I would say tough luck, bro. Come back and compete next year or transfer and go to a school we're cool with.

Also, QB's, K's, and P's...positions where there is only one guy taking every snap. 2nd string RB plays a lot. So if you're 4th on the depth chart and there are younger guys ahead of you, yeah you should transfer wherever you want.

If you are 4th on the depth chart you pretty much don't have the talent and they won't block you.

So you are in favor of kids getting a buyout clause on their letters? How about the school simply insists that the school they are transferring too reimburse all of their expenses for the time at the school. Would make Eason untouchable at this point.

That's fine, he certainly generated more revenue as QB of the football team than he "cost" Georgia. You're acting like they sacrificed something for him, which is hilariously dumb.

If you're an administrator and we're talking about any other student, you don't have a choice in the matter.

"Student athletes" and your average student have different responsibilities to the university. This is big time business, this isn't collegiate amateur athletics the way it's sold by the NCAA. IT basically would set up a free agent system where the scholarship limit is the salary cap. The grad transfer system is basically that now.

Here's a ridiculously stupid hypothetical. Say Saban retires, Dabo decides to stay at Clemson and Bama somehow gets Bill Belichick to leave the Patriots. If you're UT, or any other SEC school do you let your best guys just up and leave because they want to play for Belichick? Hell no.

I know that is really stupid and will never happen, but that is what will be created by not having a transfer restriction.

Way more talent with UGA yet had a lower percentage than JG on shorter passes. We are good. Lets go get a 2019 or 2020 five star to take over when JG leaves.

"Student athletes" and your average student have different responsibilities to the university. This is big time business, this isn't collegiate amateur athletics the way it's sold by the NCAA. IT basically would set up a free agent system where the scholarship limit is the salary cap. The grad transfer system is basically that now.

Here's a ridiculously stupid hypothetical. Say Saban retires, Dabo decides to stay at Clemson and Bama somehow gets Bill Belichick to leave the Patriots. If you're UT, or any other SEC school do you let your best guys just up and leave because they want to play for Belichick? Hell no.

I know that is really stupid and will never happen, but that is what will be created by not having a transfer restriction.

You said it yourself: it's a business. You don't want people to leave, then run a better business. Belichick can only have so many starters and so many guys who will be seen as "stars," so I don't buy the slippery slope fear.

I'm only talking about cases where a player has been benched for somebody younger. If Eason were sitting the bench behind a senior, I would say tough luck, bro. Come back and compete next year or transfer and go to a school we're cool with.

Also, QB's, K's, and P's...positions where there is only one guy taking every snap. 2nd string RB plays a lot. So if you're 4th on the depth chart and there are younger guys ahead of you, yeah you should transfer wherever you want.

I just don't see how you could manage that from a rules perspective. It certainly would not be fair to limit the rules to certain positions. And, who is actually going to determine what constitutes a "fair" amount of playing time and what constitutes a transferable amount?

How can a program recruit and build depth with such a rule in place? If you recruit top players, you run off your existing roster.

I understand the issue and do have sympathy for players who get recruited over or lose opportunity because of injury. But, I don't think there is a fair and manageable solution that doesn't cause more harm than good.

Lol. Scholarship athletes get paid plenty.

Says who? In a capitalist society, the normal understanding of "plenty" is determined by the market. In this case, there is no market because it's forbidden by an organization that would rather save money on taxes than be fair to its empl... errr student athletes.

Reactions: 2 people
Says who? In a capitalist society, the normal understanding of "plenty" is determined by the market. In this case, there is no market because it's forbidden by an organization that would rather save money on taxes than be fair to its empl... errr student athletes.

No one is twisting the arms of the players and making them play.

Players can have one of two attitudes about college football:

1. I am auditioning for the NFL. I'll meet the minimum to stay eligible and hopefully end up good enough to get drafted and make a roster.

2. I have a chance to go to college for free and play the game that I love to play for 4-5 more years. When I am done, I'll move on to the next phase of my life with a wealth of great experiences and college degree.

The problem is that far too many college players have attitude #1 when their talent suggests they ought to be a #2.

Reactions: 1 person
You said it yourself: it's a business. You don't want people to leave, then run a better business. Belichick can only have so many starters and so many guys who will be seen as "stars," so I don't buy the slippery slope fear.

I think my slippery slope fear is because you have an unprecedented amount of great jobs open at the same time like this year. There is a ton of talent at UT, aTm, UF, FSU, UCLA etc.... X University hires the "white whale" and say 4 or 5 Kamara level talents who are disgruntled and have been misused all decide they want to be LeBron, Bosh and Wade and start recruiting other guys. It turns into this super team thing.

VN Store

Back