Neyland I (Formerly known as Gruden Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, if Jones was our 24th coach at Tennessee, how can Pruitt be our 26th? Who was the 25th coach at Tennessee?

I agree with this 100%. I think when it’s your profession, you have a slightly different perspective. I went to UT law with Chavis’ son. Once Chavis left for LSU, I would see his son’s Facebook posts wholeheartedly rooting for LSU even when they played UT. I always thought it was strange until my sister married a basketball coach. Her husband played basketball at a smaller college, then was a GA, then went on to be an assistant coach. However, after several years he wanted to be more than an assistant. This past year, he finally landed his first head coaching job at another college. So, my sister, her husband and my brand new nephew moved and didn’t look back. I never hear her husband talk about his alma mater and I don’t think he’d bolt for the HC job if it became available. Bottom line is, I think with coaches and their families, their allegiance is to their livelihood.

My best friend went to Auburn and was good friends with a girl whose dad was on Pat Dye's coaching staff for many years. She would tell my friend at games that it was still hard for her to enjoy football because her whole life it felt like their livelihoods hung in the balance with each game.

I agree with this 100%. I think when it’s your profession, you have a slightly different perspective. I went to UT law with Chavis’ son. Once Chavis left for LSU, I would see his son’s Facebook posts wholeheartedly rooting for LSU even when they played UT. I always thought it was strange until my sister married a basketball coach. Her husband played basketball at a smaller college, then was a GA, then went on to be an assistant coach. However, after several years he wanted to be more than an assistant. This past year, he finally landed his first head coaching job at another college. So, my sister, her husband and my brand new nephew moved and didn’t look back. I never hear her husband talk about his alma mater and I don’t think he’d bolt for the HC job if it became available. Bottom line is, I think with coaches and their families, their allegiance is to their livelihood.

Not me. I'm a Ford driving, Copenhagen dipping, Dukes mayonnaise eating, a little sugar in my cornbread, Levis wearing, tie my right shoe first, never step on a crack (because it might break mommas back), Vols rooting guy. Allegiance is life. GBO!!

Reactions: 3 people
Seriously, who do you know that knows me?

I don't. I have a buddy in the law school and we happened to be chatting and saw I was talking to you. He ran a search in the system and found alumni with Lexi and charlotte to see if you were real. Ha Stalked you. Haha. No, He is on here. Like Vol4Life something.

I don't. I have a buddy in the law school and we happened to be chatting and saw I was talking to you. He ran a search in the system and found alumni with Lexi and charlotte to see if you were real. Ha Stalked you. Haha. No, He is on here. Like Vol4Life something.

It was his "buddy" :whistling:

Reactions: 3 people
My best friend went to Auburn and was good friends with a girl whose dad was on Pat Dye's coaching staff for many years. She would tell my friend at games that it was still hard for her to enjoy football because her whole life it felt like their livelihoods hung in the balance with each game.

I just saw something in him and his family last night that would’ve normally bothered me big time. He didn’t express his undying love for TN and his parents looked like i would look if I found myself sitting anywhere on the campus of Florida or bama. But after thinking about it, I’d rather win football games and compete for championships with a legitimate football coach than someone who isn’t qualified yet, but is from TN. If ADPF thinks CJP is the man to help us do it, I’m okay with it. We’ve always expected a new HC to come in and be an immediate homer (see Botch’s statement: “used to dream about coaching at TN”). I don’t think that’s fair to them or us as fans. But I do expect them to honor who we are and where we’ve come from. Just my take...

Reactions: 2 people

I’m not sure if that’s better or worse. Haha! Why wouldn’t I be real? It’s not like I’ve claimed to be an insider!

I watched the press conference last night when I got home. Pruitt is a likeable guy who said all of the right things. After watching Jones at his hiring press conference and liking him at the time, I bought in and we all see how that turned out. Now, I'm not comparing Pruitt to Jones, I'm just saying that I won't jump on board so quickly this time around.

In all fairness, though, I am willing to put my break from the Vols on hold to see how things go between now and the final signing day. I want to see the complete staff he assembles and just how well he can salvage this recruiting class. Now, I don't expect him to be able to get us back into the top 5 or perform any other miracles. I would be very impressed if he could get us somewhere into the top 15 or 20 range.

While I am very disappointed in how things have gone, I have come to realize that completely turning in my Big Orange card didn’t turn out to be as easily done as I thought it would be. Anyway, here's to hoping Pruitt turns out to be everything we have hoped for and more.

GBO!

I'm with you DH. Yesterday was very hard for a lot of die hard, orange blooded fans. My biggest hang up is his questionable character. There are a lot of things out there that give me reason to pause. Some of the issues are exactly the same issues that Jones had. I would expect some kids and parents may not take kindly to that.

After watching the press conference Pruitt seems like a driven man. Again I'm causesly optimistic. BVS has a lot to do with that. We shall see. I hope that this is the start of the Big Orange Nations climb out of the cellar. GBO!

I just saw something in him and his family last night that would’ve normally bothered me big time. He didn’t express his undying love for TN and his parents looked like i would look if I found myself sitting anywhere on the campus of Florida or bama. But after thinking about it, I’d rather win football games and compete for championships with a legitimate football coach than someone who isn’t qualified yet, but is from TN. If ADPF thinks CJP is the man to help us do it, I’m okay with it. We’ve always expected a new HC to come in and be an immediate homer (see Botch’s statement: “used to dream about coaching at TN”). I don’t think that’s fair to them or us as fans. But I do expect them to honor who we are and where we’ve come from. Just my take...

Another thing I liked coming out of the presser. When someone asked ADPF if Jeremy was on the 'list' before ADPF was named AD, ADPF said "Jeremy's been on a LOT of peoples list'. aight-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back