Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Roger manage to call in to every sports talk show in Knoxville?

Man is famous. Even friends back in Ktown that arent vol fans know him just from scanning radio stations. He is a Tennessee treasure.

Reactions: 1 person
Will West:

There was a guy that was run off from the AD, because he he caught Donnie Tyndall.

West/Rice:

It's been a trash culture in the AD since Hamilton blew the Kiffin hire.

People tried to cover up bad decisions with authoritative treatment of others. If you say I'm not right, I'm gonna get rid of you. And I'm going to take steps to prove my bad decision was a good decision.

Honestly, ditch about 30 bowl games and be done with it. Then you could have the 8 team playoff and have a true, settled on the field champion.

Downside is the kids playing 14 or more games.

Sure, except that the fans of teams 9-12 would be *****ing and moaning about how they got screwed and it should be a 16-team playoff.

Hearing from the Thornton Camp that Gruden has indeed turned us down completely....

kNQK_f-maxage-0.gif

6gXl_f-maxage-0.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Since it's a bit of a downtime, thought I'd chime in here about something I've been thinking a lot about.

Can you imagine what this coaching search would have been without MIT_Beaver showing up in these forums? I say this, because troll or not, his impact on this whole coaching search has been far-reaching.

I know Grumors ran wild in 2012, I wasn't here, but I've gone back and looked at the posts and they overlay almost perfectly to this year. Whether we land him or not remains to be seen. But the difference this year was this random guy coming out of nowhere, acting arrogant as anyone I've met, claiming to work with the boosters, and being overly adamant that Tennessee was in fact getting Gruden this year. EVERYONE bought into this. I mean I've heard so many random people who were checking this thread daily. Jon Reed and Houston Kress have admitted to being here. I'm sure even Hubbs & Co have meandered around too. And because so many were checking, even those who didn't read here were drawn in because I'm sure it was the talk of many dinner tables. And those who thought Gruden was a joke of a possibility were still pushed into believing the hire would be "Big, Explosive, and Expensive." Because those were the leaks being pushed out: $10mil for 10 yrs. Even if it wasn't Gruden, someone was going to get paid.

Fast forward to when the Butch is finally fired, we've been spending WEEKS reading about how a deal is in place with Gruden and Tennessee will return to the promise land. Everyone knows if it isn't Gruden, Petersen or Patterson are soon to follow, maybe even Harbaugh. All because MIT_Beaver, a poster on a random website, made everyone believe these guys were a possibility.

So when out of nowhere, after weeks of anticipation, Schiano was announced, Vol nation understandably went berserk. Say what you will about intentions, I know the Sandusky connection was a strong reason, but we can all probably admit at this point that Penn State was more the icing on the cake of a terrible decision.

And because we were expecting a better coach, we burnt the place to the ground. And now, after all this, regardless of the hire, Tennessee is finally being ran by a man who loves Tennessee more than anyone else.

Beav might done more than he realizes to put Tennessee back on the right path. And whether you hate him, think he's a troll, truly believe he was involved with any of this, or whatever else your opinions, it's absolutely hilarious to me a random poster in a online platform could have such an echoing impact on not just Tennessee football, but perhaps the entire college football coaching landscape. A voice has been given to the fans here, and I wouldn't be shocked to see similar feats attempted elsewhere after seeing Tennessee's success.

I'm not idolizing MIT_Beaver from a standpoint of I have any reasonable evidence he is/was involved in the actual coaching negotiations being held. I'm simply looking back at his impact, regardless of opinion on him, on this entire process. It really can't be understated how different things might have been without him showing up.

Reactions: 3 people
I’ll say this then I’m out for a while. I don’t want Chad Morris never really cared for him. However a few years ago when he was killing it at Clemson he was the hottest could not miss coach in the country. Many on here now that are saying he is terrible would have sold an organ to get him in Knoxville. Point is anyone we get could be hit or miss. If we were to go on objective data of W-L, NFL placement, talent development it would be hard to beat Miles or Cut. Not arguing for either as I have said if we are going to go and it is a gamble roll on Gruden. I’m just not going to kick rocks because we don’t get him. And I am certainly not going to dismiss the shift in power that was pulled off because I was there and had a ring side seat. What happened was astounding and almost unbelievable. I would love to cap it off with Gruden but if not at least we took a foundational step to fix our AD. No one has the ability to hit a guaranteed home run hire and at the risk of pissing some of you off Coach knows more about running this football program than any one of us.

Reactions: 16 people
The model is subject to somebody's bias. You're simply replacing one subjective process with another.

Subjectivity belong in figure skating not football.

You have thrown all logic out the window. Polls are represented by dozens of folks, and collectively, well over 100 voices would be on the ballot. Equal regional representation removes the bias for voters in a specific region. In other words, SEC guys will stick their necks out for the SEC and Pac-12 guys will do the same for the teams out west and so forth. Averaging does nothing more than find the sweet spot for each team. This is not a PhD level math assignment.

If subjectivity doesn't belong in football, then you should be entirely against a panel of 13 (or 10, or 12, or 15) calling all the shots, no?

I am sure many will be on the edge of the cliff if Gruden says no. However that doesn’t mean that some damn fine coaches and staffs are not out there. The proof will show up this spring when we get a look into player development. No matter who we hire even Gruden will be a gamble. If we got Saben to the hill it doesn’t mean he would be able to repeat. Many other things stack into being successful. At the press conference Friday several boosters showed up that had not been seen in a long time at such events. So yes things are shifting.

I don't like the tone of your voice.

Reactions: 2 people
Wait wait wait, everyone believed Beav? I never believed him from the second he ran off to make a twitter account for the sole purpose of ghosting VN activity. The most troll thing ever.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back