UT close to deal with Jeff Brohm

It's hard to hire better than mediocre when you already ARE mediocre. Especially when you're a moron like John Currie. We can all agree on that.

But at this point, this guy has shown he can coach and his offense looks better than Butch's did even when you evaluate it from a perspective of Purdue vs. Cincinnati.

It is what it is. It's really time to put the pitchforks away.

Yes Currie needs to go! Botched this one big time. I can give Brohm a chance just wasnt high up on my list. Either way still bleeding that orange and white!

I agree 100%!! Schiano would have been a great hire maybe he could have got the program in the right direction to where this team can be respected again then in the next 4 or 5 years you could have got ur big fish. I know everybody want the big name guy but in this state of this program you need someone to do the dirty and clean up all the bs that's been going on..This coach could be a Butch Jones 2.0

But Schiano would have been even worse than Butch. Look at the record. Plus Brohm will have a great o where GS would have had us playing stone age ball.

I agree 100%!! Schiano would have been a great hire maybe he could have got the program in the right direction to where this team can be respected again then in the next 4 or 5 years you could have got ur big fish. I know everybody want the big name guy but in this state of this program you need someone to do the dirty and clean up all the bs that's been going on..This coach could be a Butch Jones 2.0

Take the Penn State stuff out of it and Schiano still would've been an awful hire. If you read about his time at Tampa Bay, he's sleazy in all the same ways Jones proved to be. Would've been a disaster. The people complaining about his .500 record at Rutgers were completely missing the point on why he'd be bad, just like the people complaining about Brohm's record at Purdue are also missing the point that it's a decent hire, especially given the circumstances.

His 6-6 record has literally nothing in common with Dooley's record. He took a moribund 3-9 Purdue program and instantly improved them by 3 wins and took them to a bowl.

He beat:

Ohio decent MAC team
Missouri early when they were struggling but I'd call it a good win based on margin of victory
Minnesota 5-7 (2-9 B10)
Illinois 2-10 (0-9 B10)
Iowa 7-5 (4-5 B10)
Indiana 5-7 (2-7 B10)

I'm not exactly blown away by those victories, although I do understand that it was better than Purdue has done in 5-6 seasons. I'd like to see more and continued improvement before making the hire.

Isn't that what Butch was supposed to have done, clean up the Dooley mess and left us ready for a great hire? Now we need a coach to clean up the Hart, Jones, Currie mess? I think the mess is the AD and no coach will fix that. JMHO.

I hope it works out. But hiring someone based on Western Ky success is like hiring someone based on Central Michigan success.

Typical UT. Trade down, spend more, start talking "fahr whoever is coaching" in a year or two.

If it is Brohm, wish you well. You will be trying to succeed with both arms tied behind your back and the same expectations as OSU and Bama fans.

Not true at all. With our given situation, this is the best we could expect. Honestly, Brohm would’ve been in my top 5 from the start. Top 3 if you wanna get realistic and say we’ve always known Gruden, Petersen, and Gundy weren’t coming. He did a lot with others recruits and a previous team that won 6-7 games in 3 seasons. They are now bowl eligible.

Some of you guys were always gonna hate any coach not named Gruden. Reality check, it never was and never is happening. Best thing you can do is support what we’re gettibg and hope it turns out great. If not just go back to the fairy tale Gruden thread and hang out there with the other rainbows and unicorns.

Reactions: 1 person
He beat:

Ohio decent MAC team
Missouri early when they were struggling but I'd call it a good win based on margin of victory
Minnesota 5-7 (2-9 B10)
Illinois 2-10 (0-9 B10)
Iowa 7-5 (4-5 B10)
Indiana 5-7 (2-7 B10)

I'm not exactly blown away by those victories, although I do understand that it was better than Purdue has done in 5-6 seasons. I'd like to see more and continued improvement before making the hire.

That Iowa win is quality and Indiana played a lot of teams tough. Not bad for his first year to be honest.

He beat:

Ohio decent MAC team
Minnesota 5-7 (2-9 B10)
Illinois 2-10 (0-9 B10)
Iowa 7-5 (4-5 B10)
Indiana 5-7 (2-7 B10)

Not bad for his first year on the job.. He was working with the former coaches players. I imagine he would get better once he got some recruiting classes under his belt. (trying to be optimistic here)

I was told that Brohm is not coming to Tennessee. It almost seems like somebody is leaking information to get Currie out and Fulmer in. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of bringing Kiffin back, and I hate Kiffin.

Reactions: 2 people
Brohm's record has been impressive, but short. Given the situation that we put ourselves in, this is the best case scenario. It sucks to be a fan of a team that basically passed on 50 better options and went to Schiano. We clearly need wholesale changes in our administration. What I didn't want is to settle for mediocrity. Brohm is unproven, but I can imagine a future where we're competing for the SEC championship and a playoff spot consistently. Schiano and Gundy didn't provide that.

Now, we gotta get Currie out of here and anyone else that is holding us back from making good decisions.

after sunday, and last night, did anyone really expect to be "excited"?????????????????

i really don't get the attitude about this potential hire, or really any potential hire, at this point, given the current climate surrounding this university.

there's a reality check that needs to happen.

I was told that Brohm is not coming to Tennessee. It almost seems like somebody is leaking information to get Currie out and Fulmer in. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of bringing Kiffin back, and I hate Kiffin.

Thank, God, if true! Honestly, I bet Kiffin’s FAU team would beat Brohm’s Purdue team.

Great, see ya'll in another 4-5 years during the next search.

Maybe but maybe not?

Volnation really needs to have as much energy in support of a new coach than they displayed in disapproval of Schiano.

Especially, if this was not a haslam hire!

Me, too, bro! It’s a bullsh*t hire. But people are already drinking the Kool-Aid.

Well then you tell me who we deserve genius? We’re coming off a 4 win season, our recruiting class is crumbling, and it’s evident that our controlling powers are incompetent. Our program is possibly the worst in the country right now, among serious football schools anyway.

So just who do we deserve?

VN Store

Back