Official Jon Gruden Thread 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Hyams defense:

Some of our insiders were saying Butch will be fired after USC...then after Kentucky.

Hyams said that he wouldn't. Then the week of the Missouri game Hyams posted that the next loss Butch will be fired.

He was fired.

So Hyams was at least right on that.

Hyams said he would last to the end of the year. Said several times that he thought Butch would be our coach next season.

Reactions: 4 people
JAV on TOS says Gruden said no

200.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Grand, please tell me you hopped in the Mullen thread and dropped this on them. Lol

No, because I have manners and don't walk into someone else's living room and take a **** on the carpet.

There are perfectly good Mullen threads or Frost threads or Norvell threads out there to discuss their coach of choice. However, some feel the need to come to the Gruden threads to do just that and have the audacity to ask for your newspaper while they are doing it and toilet paper when they are done.

Reactions: 6 people
A few booms, a lot of soons and many rumors .... what have you heard this time?

I’m just along for the ride like everybody else. With the new admin I believe nothing I hear...until the new guy is at the podium. I believe there are 4 or 5 folks that know what’s happening and everything else is speculation. One thing is certain...I have never seen so many folks willing to out their sources. It is bizzaro world.

Reactions: 3 people
For any of you that are involved in sales or deal negotiations - when you need to delay the announcement of an agreement, how do you handle that?

For any of you that are or have ever been in the media, how would you handle a story you have no sources on so that you still keep people's attention?

We should still be basking in the euphoria that Butch is gone instead of already being in a tizzy about JG. Quiet and no denials for the next 10 days is a good thing.
Lingering effects of the dreaded BVS but, since I'm still hanging with the "quietly confident" group, I'm all like:

200.gif

No news is good news till there's bad news, at this point.

Reactions: 4 people
What are the current betting odds? I couldn't find them. I think they would reflect longer odds for Gruden. Last night it was even.

Do we have a list of "insiders" we can safely ignore for the remainder of this coaching search IF Gruden is not the coach? I'm referring specifically to those that say:

"ink is dry"
"bird is in the cage"
"deal is done"

Likewise if he IS named the coach then we can properly worship them!

I’m sure I’m going to get on everybody’s nerves saying this, but here goes. This is fun - this thread is a blast, and all the discussion has been hilarious. There are plenty of excellent coaches out there. If Gruden stays at MNF for minimum wage, takes the Tampa Bay job, or decides to start a charter fishing business on Lake Michigan, we will hire a coach and UT football will continue.

Among Patterson, Kelly, Mullen, Norvell, Frost, etc... there are talented coaches who will be a massive upgrade in Knox. Everyone relax and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 1 person
I have said it a thousand times, if there is good news AV is not going to come in here until it's released. No news from him is good news not the other way around. SOON!!!!! GRUDEN TO THE HILL! It might be this week or next week or close to that. But GRUDEN TO THE HILL IS COMING!!!!!!

What if he stopped by and said he's hired?
Kills the no news theory..

Mullen would be a fine hire. I want Gruden as much as the next guy but that doesn't mean there are not other great coaches on Tennessee's radar.

Anyway, #soon

Please don't ever use Mullen's name in conjunction with "great coach" again.

Thank you.

Reactions: 5 people
This post is for the folks wondering, "why not announce now? what are they waiting for?":

The Two Prime Considerations in Setting an Announcement Date:

-- Deference to current coaching staff -- Jon Gruden is the founder of the Fired Football Coaches Association* -- he's not going to upstage or hurt Brady Hoke & crew in these final two game weeks if he can help it. Conclusion: look for announcement after Vandy game.

-- Early Signing Period, 20-22 December -- Butch Jones had a very good 2018 signing class lined up. Part of that effort has slipped away in recent days. But there's much hope that it can be brought back, and perhaps even improved upon. Key is getting the new coaching staff named and engaging those youngsters are early before 20 December as possible. Conclusion: look for an announcement as soon after Vandy game as reasonable.

Put those two together, and I come up with Monday, the 27th of November. Might it be Sunday instead? Sure. Or it could be Tuesday, so as not to distract from Jon working the MNF game the evening before. There's plenty of room to speculate on the exact day.

There's also the chance that circumstances force the university off this "ideal window," either forcing an earlier announcement or perhaps even a later one.

So I say, and have been saying for several days now, to look for the announcement on 27 November, plus or minus 7 days (so as early as 20 Nov, or as late as 4 Dec).

That all just makes sense to me.

* About – FFCA

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back