Dan Mullen thread (merged)

and again.... what has he won at MSU? Clearly the guy can coach QB's... but what has he won?

Butch is a great recruiter... but what he has won at UT? Nothing of significance... just like Mullen.

What did Urban Meyer win at Utah?
What did Nick Saban win at Michigan state?
What did Bobby Bowden win at West Virginia?
What did Steve Spurrier win at Duke?

Reactions: 2 people
and again.... what has he won at MSU? Clearly the guy can coach QB's... but what has he won?

Butch is a great recruiter... but what he has won at UT? Nothing of significance... just like Mullen.

Let's say we have a NBA coach that wins 41/82 games. Let's say we have a YMCA coach that wins 5/10 games.

Your logic is saying the YMCA coach is as good of a basketball coach as the NBA coach because he won half his games too.

Reactions: 3 people
and Speculation would be saying Mullen would win the East because the West is a much stronger division.

However, it would be fact to say he's lost several games against the SEC East, consistently barely beats KY, and has never won the SEC West, and finished in 5th place 5 of 8 years as the head coach.

Mullen is 12-5 against SECe opponents, .705 win percentage.

Butch is 14-11 against SECe opponents, .56 win percentage.

Butch is 0-8 against SECw opponents.

Reactions: 5 people
Losing once to UK in 8 years is unforgivable to you but Butch going winless in four+ years against the West is fine?

Okay.

Again, I've said ZERO, NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA, about supporting Butch, or that Butch is a better coach. I've said quite the opposite. The point of objectively looking at the numbers is to suggest you don't fire a mediocre coach and replace him with a mediocre coach.

The numbers would suggest otherwise, but this board doesn't seem to like objectivity.

You can’t even compare two coaches who have two pretty big conditions in their record. Their schedule strength are no where near each other. Their recruiting/talent, you know the players they have to coach, are no where near each other.

You can look at them solely based on W/L records.

If you’re looking at Butch’s record at Tennessee of 32-23, people will say he’s a winner here. But when you break it down, that’s not the case.

Reactions: 1 person
If Dan Mullen had won a natty, he wouldn't be coaching at Mississippi state. Let's be real. That's not a destination job. Tennessee is.

He's proven he can keep a program stable. Recruit and develop players. Have a reasonable amount of success in a stacked division. Not implode his school with NCAA violations. He's the best QB developer in all of college football. He a likable guy who is very down to earth and human. He's been loyal to Mississippi State for a lot longer than almost any coach would.

His upside is very high. He has maxed out the potential of Mississippi states football potential though.

You can’t even compare two coaches who have two pretty big conditions in their record. Their schedule strength are no where near each other. Their recruiting/talent, you know the players they have to coach, are no where near each other.

You can look at them solely based on W/L records.

If you’re looking at Butch’s record at Tennessee of 32-23, people will say he’s a winner here. But when you break it down, that’s not the case.

Coaching careers are made/lost on W/L records. That's all you can use.

Again, I've said ZERO, NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA, about supporting Butch, or that Butch is a better coach. I've said quite the opposite. The point of objectively looking at the numbers is to suggest you don't fire a mediocre coach and replace him with a mediocre coach.

I don't care if you support Butch or not. I don't even care for Mullen after meeting him four years ago. But pretending Mullen has been at the same level of Butch is crazy. You have no sense of context, which actually would show true objectivity.

So LSU made a mistake in hiring Nick Saban from Michigan State?

sabanmichstate.png

Reactions: 2 people

Your original post is skewed negatively towards Mullen’s record because it doesn’t take into account the harder strength of schedule and harder recruiting for Mullen. You know, the things that make/lose coaching careers.

I don't care if you support Butch or not. I don't even care for Mullen after meeting him four years ago. But pretending Mullen has been at the same level of Butch is crazy. You have no sense of context, which actually would show true objectivity.

I have plenty of sense of context... yes, the SEC West is a stronger division of the SEC, yet noone seems to want to answer my question of:

Why's he finishing 5th in the West in 5 of 8 years of coaching?

Why has he lost games to SEC E teams?

Why can they barely beat KY and why do they barely beat OOC teams like Miami of Ohio 17-16?

Throw his record against Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss out the window - if you're argument is Strength of schedule, he should be finishing no worse than 4th.

I have plenty of sense of context... yes, the SEC West is a stronger division of the SEC, yet noone seems to want to answer my question of:

Why's he finishing 5th in the West in 5 of 8 years of coaching?

Why has he lost games to SEC E teams?

Why can they barely beat KY and why do they barely beat OOC teams like Miami of Ohio 17-16?

Throw his record against Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss out the window - if you're argument is Strength of schedule, he should be finishing no worse than 4th.

Dude, he doesn’t barely beat Kentucky. In his 7 wins, he averaged a two possession margin of victory. That’s not “barely beating” someone.

Second, he does have to play Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M. You can’t just throw them out.

Third, no one said he couldn’t lose to teams in the East. However, his numbers show that he would win more conference games against inferior teams playing in the East. If he’s the same as Butch, why does he have a 70% win percentage the East and Butch is barely over 50%? By the numbers, Mullen is way better.

You literally know nothing about football if you are saying Mullen’s job performance at Miss State since 2013 is equivalent to Butch’s performance at Tennessee. There not. Even the numbers prove they are not.

You didn't answer the question, did LSU make a mistake by evaluating Nick Saban's record within context, or not?

You're trying to justify the means by looking at the end result.

Clearly LSU's risk paid off. And you didn't answer the question. Do you think TN fans would be happy if Currie hired someone with a similiar record?

VN Store

Back