What "popular" singer says or bands you think are overrated or terrible

Gimme Shelter was created in 1969. It is one of the greatest songs in the history of Earth. Brian Jones wasn't involved with it. I think they're better with MT and RW in the lineup.

Yeah, but I'm counting that for 60's Stones.

Paint It Black
Ruby Tuesday
Sympathy for the Devil
Street Fighting Man
Under My Thumb
Mother's Little Helper
She's a Rainbow
Time Is on My Side
Get Off of My Cloud

And as you say, 1969

Gimme Shelter
YCAGWYW
Honky Tonk Women

Now granted, there were some good songs after that, but that's their best work, IMO.

Not sure how you can say Rush is overrated as they have battled criticism from both the music industry and listeners their whole careers. If anything I dont think they get enough credit. Go listen to La Villa Strangiato and tell me they're not underrated. I HATED their mid to late 80's keyboard phase but overall they are monster musicians.

They're in the hall of fame. Their sound is totally unique. As a huge fan I can understand some people just not liking it.

Yeah, but I'm counting that for 60's Stones.

Paint It Black
Ruby Tuesday
Sympathy for the Devil
Street Fighting Man
Under My Thumb
Mother's Little Helper
She's a Rainbow
Time Is on My Side
Get Off of My Cloud

And as you say, 1969

Gimme Shelter
YCAGWYW
Honky Tonk Women

Now granted, there were some good songs after that, but that's their best work, IMO.

Exile on Mainstreet. Your list is like a greatist hits compilation from in the 80's.

Last edited:
They're in the hall of fame. Their sound is totally unique. As a huge fan I can understand some people just not liking it.

Didnt say that rush didnt have their merits but i just think they are overrated. Probably comes from people thinking Bonham wasnt the best drummer of all time.

So I guess you must hate the Sex Pistols.

It's not about hate. I don't "hate" The Beatles. I just think they're notoriety has more to do with the fact that they got there first. Not because they're the best.

Regarding the Sex Pistols, I've never been fan but then again, I'm not a big fan of punk in general. I actually didn't know they didn't tour much.

Last edited:
It's not about hate. I don't "hate" The Beatles. I just think they're notoriety has more to do with the fact that they got there first. Not because they're the best.

Regarding the Sex Pistols, I've never been fan but then again, I'm not a big fan of punk in general. I actually didn't know they didn't tour much.

One album and tour. One of the best albums of all time.

A couple that I'm on the fence with as far as being overrated are the Doors, Tom Petty, and Prince. They're not on my favorites list, but then again how highly rated are they? I wouldn't say any of them are terrible. Prince especially was an amazing musician... just not a real appealing sound for me. I like some TP... I'd probably have to spend some time listening to the deep cuts to form the basis for a solid opinion. The Doors needed a bass player IMO. Too heavy on the keyboards makes it sound too much like carnival music.

It's kind of hard to say that anybody that's sold millions of records is "terrible". I'd maybe put John Cougar in one of the two categories.

I think that Dylan is a great poet and a horrible singer. He's a converted Folk artist which he was probably great at. Wrote several iconic, genre crossing songs. Jimi did them better.

I like the stuff recorded by both Rush and ZZ Top outside of their 1980s corporate, MTV stuff that they were forced to crank out. Billy Gibbons is a living guitar legend. There aren't many alive today in his class.

I don't recall anybody saying that Kiss are great musicians. It's be hard for me to consider them overrated based on that. I think that Ace Frehley is a pretty good picker... not great, but far from terrible.

With the Beach Boys... same as the Beatles you have to consider the time frame. They broke out of a teeny bopper, pop music mold and got experimental.

I think we see with this thread how subjective musical tastes are. If there was one band I didn't think I'd see mentioned it was U2... but it was.

Haha, this was a fun read. Just like the football forum.

"I don't really care for the Beatles that much"

"You're a fawking moron"

Haha, this was a fun read. Just like the football forum.

"I don't really care for the Beatles that much"

"You're a fawking moron"

I can see someone not liking the Beatles music.

But to say theyre overrated? I don't see how it would be possible. I can dislike a band but still understand they deserve all the credit coming to them.

I can see someone not liking the Beatles music.

But to say theyre overrated? I don't see how it would be possible. I can dislike a band but still understand they deserve all the credit coming to them.

Like I said before, they got there first. Not discounting that at all. However their overwhelming notoriety I do not think is because they were so head and shoulders better than their contemporaries. That's why I count them as overrated.

by decade

60's the beatles, bob dylan
70's grateful dead, KC and the sushine band
80's duran duran, Kenny Rogers, lee greenwood
90's metallica, reba mcentire, van hagar
00's nickelback,
10's taylor swift, beiber

Duran duran? No way dude.

Beatles
U2
Beyoncé
Jason Farris with Farris MotorCcompany (I change it every time this cod comes on the radio)
Prince

I'm exact opposite on the Stones. 60s Stones are amazing. Most of the rest i don't even care about

All eras have their merits. However from 1966-1974 the Stones were absolutely on fire with...

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock and Roll

VN Store

Back