Cutting the cord...

Not sure if ESPN with PSVue will be as robust as Sling, though. I will never go back to satellite. I get much more and better content than I ever did with Direct TV. (Plus, you never know what you might find on youtuber.

You get WatchESPN with your Vue account. Never have to miss a game, even non televised. Just download the app on your Roku.

No wonder ESPN is losing $$$$
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: 1 person
i'm pulling down 60+ BPS on ATT fiber over wifi. was pulling down 21 BPS on cable...the Fiber works much better....

you can upgrade cable internet though and pull over 100BPS, which, really you wouldn't need unless you're gaming on line....which i don't do. streaming...what i have works fine.

i can be on one TV, wife on the other, and the kids on ipads, and no issues.

Netflix needs about 8MBPS for HDTV per stream (for the absolute best 1080P connection, excluding 4K), video games require much less than this (probably 2MBPS on the high end). Web browsing is essentially non existent unless you're downloading large files. For a family of 5, 50 MBPS is probably fine, for 2, 25MBP. One person living by themselves can get away with 10MBPS. Internet service providers make it seem like you need way more than you really do.

One thing to consider when cutting the cord. You need a good wireless router. Most ISP want to rent you a cheap g or n router. IMO , it is well worth it to purchase an ac wireless router. You can usually purchase on good one for less than $100.

have att uverse I get all movie channels plus the pac 12 package 2 alt channels of the sec networkplus all sport channels doesn't cost more than what you give for your divices for sling or the other channels.

I tried cutting the cord a few years back and the one thing that got me is flipping channels. If I was watching a UT night game on the ESPN app and tried to flip over to the LSU the time it would take to buffer was extreme. It was difficult swapping channels when there was a commercial on the game I was tuned in to.

Does the Kodi app allow for quick switching between programming?

It gets messy out there. A lot of options.

I get all channels, all premium channels, DVR, 4 boxes, Antivirus Protection, SEC and NFL and 250 MBPS Cable which includes Xfinity on the go apps and WIFI...but I'm paying for it...trust me. $150+

Oh and I also get like 10 home shopping channels...oh yeah got to have it!

AT&T offers "free" HBO with some phone packages but I'm not sure about their coverage out there. It seemed spotty in rural areas of Middle Tennessee last trip.

If you don't cut the cord now, I suspect there will be even more personalized options available in 6 months to a year. The hardest part is separating wants from needs and balancing that against budget.

Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).

If you don't want the slightest amount of bad weather interrupting your signal, forget direct tv and dish.

I have DIRECTV NOW. $35.00/mo for over 100 channels and free HBO for a year. Got an Apple TV for free when I pre-paid the first 3 mos for free.

I pay $5.99/mo for CBS All Acess. Didn't miss a single game last year

Netflix needs about 8MBPS for HDTV per stream (for the absolute best 1080P connection, excluding 4K), video games require much less than this (probably 2MBPS on the high end). Web browsing is essentially non existent unless you're downloading large files. For a family of 5, 50 MBPS is probably fine, for 2, 25MBP. One person living by themselves can get away with 10MBPS. Internet service providers make it seem like you need way more than you really do.
Oh I agree, but 20-23 I was getting was struggling if we had more than 1 or 2 people streaming at the same time.

Killed 2 birds with one stone going to fiber... saved about $50/month in the bill and tripled the speed...

I tried cutting the cord a few years back and the one thing that got me is flipping channels. If I was watching a UT night game on the ESPN app and tried to flip over to the LSU the time it would take to buffer was extreme. It was difficult swapping channels when there was a commercial on the game I was tuned in to.

Does the Kodi app allow for quick switching between programming?

Buffering isn't a huge issue for me now, but you're right, it does change "flipping" between channels quite a bit.

DirectTV Now has been good for the 5 months I've had it.

Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).

I cut the cord a few months ago. I pay $27 a month for sling tv with the sports package and have more
Sports channels than I have ever had. Sling also sent me a free Roku, so I have the watch espn app as well. You need an antenna to get the local channels. I'll never go back to satellite or cable.

Absolutely!
OP, I already went through what you're going through. PlayStation Vue is the absolute best (at least legally) $40 a month and you get more channels than you get with over $100 cable subscription. Hook up 5 devices / TVs all for the same price.
The only people using cable or satellite don't have good internet, their internet package includes television or they just don't understand how much better is out there.

Or they can't get antenna where they live so they have no other option than cable/satellite (like me)

One thing to consider when cutting the cord. You need a good wireless router. Most ISP want to rent you a cheap g or n router. IMO , it is well worth it to purchase an ac wireless router. You can usually purchase on good one for less than $100.
Specific recommendation? (brand name, model number, etc.)

Specific recommendation? (brand name, model number, etc.)

TP-LINK Archer C7 is what I use. You need to consider the size of you home. You can purchase on Amazon. They have a guide for TP-LINK routers.

sling is probably best option. get an hd antennae for your TV's so you get the local channels....

as for devices, Roku and Amazon fire stick are probably the two best. i like Roku because it comes pre loaded with Amazon Prime, and you can down load apps at your leisure...not all devices will let you download all apps....so ask about that if you want access to more than just waht that device may allow.

of course, if you know somebody, you can get hacked amazon firesticks and have everything you ever wanted.

not that i know, but you know....:)

What you have just done is illegal and in this state, if convicted, you could be fined up to $5,000 or spend six months in a correction facility! I'm just jerking your chain, I'll juice ya up -Chip Douglas

VN Store

Back