What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

You can still get a reasonably priced used one. They are much nicer than the last one I owned though (sold in 02)

You can still get a reasonably priced used one. They are much nicer than the last one I owned though (sold in 02)

I have a very cheap truck. It's a four-door, 2WD 2003 Nissan Frontier, manual, no power locks or anything fancy...my Dad bought it used around 2006 for $15k (and has since sold it to me). That still seems more expensive than trucks used to be and this truck has only gone 60k miles and even still it's falling apart....little things like the latch on the tailgate is broken.

I have a very cheap truck. It's a four-door, 2WD 2003 Nissan Frontier, manual, no power locks or anything fancy...my Dad bought it used around 2006 for $15k (and has since sold it to me). That still seems more expensive than trucks used to be and this truck has only gone 60k miles and even still it's falling apart....little things like the latch on the tailgate is broken.

The Frontier is one of those decent trucks that doesn't fall into a full "work" truck size, but is good enough for most tasks.

I'm glad Ford is bringing back the Ranger along those lines. So long as they keep it respectable in price.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Keeping my ole 2002 Ram going..... Sticker shock will keep her under my seat for some time.

Reactions: CAVPUT
I let go my 86 S 10 last year,I rebuilt the motor in it,when I first got it and drove it for close to 15 years,put around 100 k miles on it

I upgraded to a car that I couldn't refuse the deal on,the price was from a friend and it was a major upgrade

the truck had some problems,like a burnt valve and some other stuff

now I wished I had of kept it and fixed it :) I miss that ole truck

Had a Mazda B2200 (or something like that) for a while. A buddy of mine had it - paid a grand for it. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. Bought it a couple year later for a grand. It had 220,000 plus on it, burned a little oil, leaked a little PS fluid, had dirty seats and the paint was gone in places but it sure hauled yard stuff good and took crap to the dump. Sold it for 800 after 2 years without even trying - besides oil changes all I paid for was new floor mats from Autozone and a can of spray paint for the hood.

Lesson? If you want a truck for a yard truck, get an old beater and you'll get your money back every time.

Had a Mazda B2200 (or something like that) for a while. A buddy of mine had it - paid a grand for it. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. Bought it a couple year later for a grand. It had 220,000 plus on it, burned a little oil, leaked a little PS fluid, had dirty seats and the paint was gone in places but it sure hauled yard stuff good and took crap to the dump. Sold it for 800 after 2 years without even trying - besides oil changes all I paid for was new floor mats from Autozone and a can of spray paint for the hood.

Lesson? If you want a truck for a yard truck, get an old beater and you'll get your money back every time.

Father in law had one of those things. It just kept going and going and he worked it fairly hard.

That was my first vehicle when I turned 16

Seems like the basic Chevy S-10 was advertised for $5,999 for years.

Also, around 15 years ago the basic full sized Chevy with 4WD was $16,999. I think it had automatic, V-6, and A/C.

My next one will be a commercial fleet pickup, am/fm crank windows etc. The cost for included "features" is crazy for even a full size base model.

I'm interested to see where they're going with the new Ranger, supposedly it'll be more along the lines of the Frontier and Tacoma as opposed to being a compact.

I bought my 15 Z71 that listed at 48K with trade at 36k and today owe 28k. 590/month is stupid and that's on me. I won't do it again. Then there is Ford and dummies paying 70k. Crazy!

I bought a 2003 chevy 2500hd in 2012. Today it is worth a little more than what I paid for it.

I have a 14 year old who will be getting a vehicle soon. I know I'm gonna get him a truck. But they are getting way out there in price. Don't know what I will be doing just yet.

A Colorado or Canyon of today has about the same size and capacity of a Silverado/Sierra from 15-20 years ago. You can get 7000lbs towing with the V6 or roughly 7700 lbs with the diesel.

My complaint/issue is that there is very little price separation between a mid sized truck and a full size.

Seems like the basic Chevy S-10 was advertised for $5,999 for years.

Also, around 15 years ago the basic full sized Chevy with 4WD was $16,999. I think it had automatic, V-6, and A/C.

My first car was a new 1987 S-10 for $4997. Those days are long gone.

Remember all these companies moving the manufacturing to Mexico and was suppose to pass the savings on to the consumer? Funny how that works eh?

I wanted to trade my frontier in on a brand new ram 1500 4x4 since my frontier isn't a 4x4. The ram was 39k. I have about 12k in equity in my frontier. Considering my frontier is about 8 months from being paid in full with less than 50,000 miles on it...I couldn't do it.

I wanted to trade my frontier in on a brand new ram 1500 4x4 since my frontier isn't a 4x4. The ram was 39k. I have about 12k in equity in my frontier. Considering my frontier is about 8 months from being paid in full with less than 50,000 miles on it...I couldn't do it.

Drive it until you can't fix it. In retrospect I wish I'd kept my old trucks rather than getting another.

Reactions: 1 person
I will say that Toyota trucks hold their value like crazy. If you buy one right you'll be set when it comes to resale.

VN Store

Back