The Fishing Thread

Just caught 6 red snapper, 2 amberjack (out of season), and a trigger fish (out of season) on a charter boat in Destin Fl. Best time ever

So, you like saltwater fishing? I have done both myself. Just don't live on the coast to do much saltwater fishing. My first saltwater fish was a red snapper. Some good eating!

Tony- Your buddy's cat is incredible. That's an extremely nice fish and catching one of those is an awesome accomplishment.

How often do you guys go? I always here that fishing for cats at night is a myth, but I continue to hear stories that it's better at night.

Reactions: 1 person
Just caught 6 red snapper, 2 amberjack (out of season), and a trigger fish (out of season) on a charter boat in Destin Fl. Best time ever

That's awesome I've always wanted to go, but never been. What bait did you use?

Also, did the amberjacks fight harder than the smaller and triggerfish?

Tony- Your buddy's cat is incredible. That's an extremely nice fish and catching one of those is an awesome accomplishment.

How often do you guys go? I always here that fishing for cats at night is a myth, but I continue to hear stories that it's better at night.

Well, my buddy Matt goes a lot more than I do. He lives not to far away from the lake. I live 35-40 minute drive. I don't go as often but I also have some health issues that keep from going more than I want.

Catfish will bite both day & night. It depends more on what time of the years it is. Like I said in one of my previous post, our 2 catfish holes have biting frenzy's at different times of the year including day & night. Right now, they bite in the evening just til shortly after dark.

There's about a 2-3 hour window & then the bite is over. Say from 8PM in the evening til 10:30-11:00PM. After that time it shuts off almost like a light switch. This will go on until about the middle of July.

Then, the bite starts after dark & last up until 3-4 AM. This is when you hit the primetime for a huge catfish. From middle July-middle September. Live bluegills, Live shiners,& even a hook loaded with gobs on nightcrawlers can get you hooked into some huge catfish.

It's fun because you don't ever know if it's going to be a flathead or Bluecat. The Blucat seem to not go after the Live bluegills too much. They like the large shiners & gobs of nightcrawlers better. The Blucat do put up a better fight than a Flathead.

Once October hits it's again like a light switch. They completely stop biting usually after that first real serious cold front that drops the overnight temps in the 30's. No more biting catfish from these 2 spots again until the next year rolls around starting in mid-late April.

Going to Clearwater in two weeks. Looking forward to fishing down there.

Going to wade the Battenkill tomorrow afternoon and all day sunday

Sweet. Closest I've come is having a reel sharing that name.

Wading rivers is fairly weather dependent...how's that looking? Some friends and I were on the Davidson over in NC but it rained pretty hard on us and fishing was tough.

Sweet. Closest I've come is having a reel sharing that name.

Wading rivers is fairly weather dependent...how's that looking? Some friends and I were on the Davidson over in NC but it rained pretty hard on us and fishing was tough.

It looks okay from what I gather, but water temps look a little high (66-67) so it looks like lots of nymphing and streamers low and hoping for some luck. It's been an unusually dry summer in the northeast, so everything is running low and warm.

The better trout streams here in CT are hit or (mostly) miss, not much good fast water available, pools are so so, most everyone has taken up golf of gone to the beach for blues or stripers until late September.

I was kicking around going up to the Sandy River in Maine but it's a bit too far to go for just a weekend. Going out to Lake Placid just before labor day, I'll get at least a few days on the Ausable, the lake itself holds good trout but I don't know elbows from *******s when it comes to fishing from a boat.

Nobody fishing?

Me & my catfish buddy Matt will be heading out to our two favorite catfish holes next weekend. They should be hitting really well right now. He went about 2 weeks ago on a Saturday night & caught 4 pretty good sized catfish.

2 were flatheads & 2 were bluecats. The biggest was a 22 lb. flathead but that's nothing compared to what he catches including the 45lb. one I uploaded a couple photos of a few pages back.

He caught both flathead on live bluegills as big if not bigger than your hand & the 2 bluecats on cut up chunks of bluegill about 2 inches round. Right now is primetime around here to catch a monster.

The photos I provided was from about 2-3 months ago but we've hooked bigger ones than that but lost them either to the hook breaking or them getting off right at the boat.

There was one last year that he hooked that had to be 50+ lbs. We lost him right as we were getting ready to put the basket/net right under him. There's actually been several that we've lost close to the boat in the 45+ lb. range. Can't wait to go next weekend. Thanks!

Last edited:
Went this morning. Only caught two fish, but I also caught this video.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/0gzkopK9Tn4[/youtube]

Lake Chickamauga.

Been across that big long bridge down there in Chattanoga quite a few times. This is the lake that now has the state's record largemouth bass. I read the article in the BASSMASTERS magazine.

Read that article back in April 2015 edition of the magazine I believe it was. The guy caught it in early February of last year on a really cold day flipping a jig.

I forgot the weight but you can find it on the TWRA website. I believe the guys last name was Keen. I decided to go ahead & look it up. Here it is: Largemouth 15 lbs. 3 oz. Chickamauga Reservoir, Gabe Keen, February 13, 2015

Last edited:
Been across that big long bridge down there in Chattanoga quite a few times. This is the lake that now has the world record largemouth bass. I read the article in the BASSMASTERS magazine.

Read that article back in April 2015 edition of the magazine I believe it was. The guy caught it in early February of last year on a really cold day flipping a jig.

I forgot the weight but you can find it on the TWRA website. I believe the guys last name was Keen. I decided to go ahead & look it up. Here it is: Largemouth 15 lbs. 3 oz. Chickamauga Reservoir, Gabe Keen, February 13, 2015

There's great fishing on the lake, and the river. My sons love fishing for catfish. My oldest son had a spontaneous pneumothorax last spring and had to have surgery. The day it happened he had planned to go fishing, and ended up in the hospital for nine days. When he finally got well enough to get out of the house, he wanted to go fishing. He was still on lift restrictions and had to be careful, so made his younger brother pull this one in. Catfish are so fun to catch!! They fight so hard!

Attachments

• catfish.jpg
    catfish.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
Been across that big long bridge down there in Chattanoga quite a few times. This is the lake that now has the world record largemouth bass. I read the article in the BASSMASTERS magazine.

I forgot the weight but you can find it on the TWRA website. I believe the guys last name was Keen. I decided to go ahead & look it up. Here it is: Largemouth 15 lbs. 3 oz. Chickamauga Reservoir, Gabe Keen,
February 13, 2015
World record largemouth bass was 22 pounds 4 oz. caught in Georgia.

VN Store

Back