Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A list of possible names CBJ will talk to has been listed by folks like Hubbs, Rucker, RTI along with others. If you go over to the team message boards that these coaching candidates represent, read their local papers online or read any of the reports of insiders “close to those programs” you don’t even see one mention of those candidates even possibly speaking with CBJ from the fans, reporters, insiders etc.

I mean to put in prospective, our experts, insiders and fans are all over any hint of a current UT coach possibly being interested or mentioned about a current job opening and it spreads like wild. Why is there absolutely no buzz besides anyone outside of the Tennessee media camp talking about this? The only candidates we truly know CBJ has spoken to is Mike DeBord. It’s almost like CBJ is already set on DeBord but is just using the our local media to show a attempt to interview others.

A list of possible names CBJ will talk to has been listed by folks like Hubbs, Rucker, RTI along with others. If you go over to the team message boards that these coaching candidates represent, read their local papers online or read any of the reports of insiders “close to those programs” you don’t even see one mention of those candidates even possibly speaking with CBJ from the fans, reporters, insiders etc.

I mean to put in prospective, our experts, insiders and fans are all over any hint of a current UT coach possibly being interested or mentioned about a current job opening and it spreads like wild. Why is there absolutely no buzz besides anyone outside of the Tennessee media camp talking about this? The only candidates we truly know CBJ has spoken to is Mike DeBord. It’s almost like CBJ is already set on DeBord but is just using the our local media to show a attempt to interview others.

Yeah, it's DeBord. The other names are just that--names. I would be surprised if he's actually scheduling sit down interviews with anyone. It's probably all just for show at this point. Butch is on the road recruiting and his new OC is in the wings in Ann Arbor.

I get that but add Butch to the list and that's 4 really good evaluators. I will concede to the professionals on this one.

I understand where you're coming from in fully trusting Butch. I always felt that way with Fulmer back in the day except with the Clawson hire. But this is an extremely critical decision on Butch's part because our offense has just barely scratched the surface of being really good. While the defense has already taken off.

I find this decision so interesting because we've only seen glimpses of what this offense can do in 2 years. And with so much talent now, I want to see it explode. But just not feeling that with DeBord. Still a lot to be played out with CO-OC's, too..

Reactions: 1 person

This is really close to what I was going to say. I was going to put it more like......

Butch don't give a damn about what "the VN experts" think or want. He's going to hire the guy he wants.

:good!:

Reactions: 2 people
Considering Hubbs said if Butch needs money he'll get it, I just fail to see how he'd settle like this. It would be a rather extreme case of seeing something that no one else is seeing.

One thing is certain... if Hart is limiting the $$, there is no way he is giving Hubbs the permission to report that. Boss man is always gonna make himself look good. :)

He has never done what most would consider extremely well, even when they won the national title they were 50 something in offense and 44th in scoring I think. They won that year with defense, first in total D and first in scoring D. They were 59th in total offense his last year at Michigan despite having Jake Long, Henne, Hart, Manningham.... I doubt he has gotten that much better in an eight year layoff from calling plays.

They were 26th in PPG in '06 and one play away from playing for another National Title. I would say that's pretty impressive. With the defensive players we are bringing in I will be satisfied with a good offense and winning with defense and special teams.

One thing is certain... if Hart is limiting the $$, there is no way he is giving Hubbs the permission to report that. Boss man is always gonna make himself look good. :)

This is patently false. Hart will give Butch whatever he wants within reason. If Butch fails, Hart fails. He will not hamstring his hand picked guy with petty salary restrictions. Now I don't see us opening up the purse strings for a seven figure guy like the ASU OC but I do see anything within the realm of reason being available to Butch to make the hire. Too much money is riding on this hire to get it wrong by being cheap.

Edit: And that wasn't directed at you nick but at the idea of Hart restricting Butch like that. :hi:

I was listening on and off to RTI this morning and another name they threw out was Scot Loeffler. I don't know if it was a "source" or a coach with ties to CBJ.

They were 26th in PPG in '06 and one play away from playing for another National Title. I would say that's pretty impressive. With the defensive players we are bringing in I will be satisfied with a good offense and winning with defense and special teams.

Agree. Our defense will have to take us to championships regardless of how high octane the offense is..

They were lucky they played in a really bad conference. The OSU-Michigan game was supposed to be the game of the century and they both got crushed in their bowl games. He followed that year up with the loss to App St in the opener.

That's not good enough. A decent offense is not going to attract great offensive recruits. Do you not want to see what Butch's offense can really do with all the talent they've brought in and recruiting? I want a dangerous offense that SEC teams will have a very difficult time trying to scheme up a defensive plan.. A mediocre offense is not going to cut it.

I was listening on and off to RTI this morning and another name they threw out was Scot Loeffler. I don't know if it was a "source" or a coach with ties to CBJ.

He led Auburn to a dead last finish in total offense his one year there. This year he led VA Tech to a 96th in total offense finish and a 0-0 tie with Wake Forest before falling in OT. No thanks.

He has never done what most would consider extremely well, even when they won the national title they were 50 something in offense and 44th in scoring I think. They won that year with defense, first in total D and first in scoring D. They were 59th in total offense his last year at Michigan despite having Jake Long, Henne, Hart, Manningham.... I doubt he has gotten that much better in an eight year layoff from calling plays.

:( Mazzone is a bald guy.. Come on Butch!!!

That's not good enough. A decent offense is not going to attract great offensive recruits. Do you not want to see what Butch's offense can really do with all the talent they've brought in and recruiting? I want a dangerous offense that SEC teams will have a very difficult time trying to scheme up a defensive plan.. A mediocre offense is not going to cut it.

That's interesting considering this and last years recruiting class..it seems even though our offense under Bajakian wasn't great we still were able to recruit some great players so maybe i don't know your line of thinking is...wrong. It's Butch's offense no matter who is called the OC.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah, it's DeBord. The other names are just that--names. I would be surprised if he's actually scheduling sit down interviews with anyone. It's probably all just for show at this point. Butch is on the road recruiting and his new OC is in the wings in Ann Arbor.

I say you nailed it!

I have done some google searches and there is 0 chatter about UT and our OC search outside our boards and or DeBord.

He led Auburn to a dead last finish in total offense his one year there. This year he led VA Tech to a 96th in total offense finish and a 0-0 tie with Wake Forest before falling in OT. No thanks.

I saw Loeffler mentioned too and since I watched that game I nearly threw up. It was fascinating how bad the offenses were, like watching a train wreck, I just couldn't look away. Watching the ineptitude of VT's offense be matched only by the ineptitude of the 'Clawfense' was something else.

That's interesting considering this and last years recruiting class..it seems even though our offense under Bajakian wasn't great we still were able to recruit some great players so maybe i don't know your line of thinking is...wrong. It's Butch's offense no matter who is called the OC.

That's because it's still early and only the start of year 3. Also, Butch and company are excellent recruiters. But if the offense starts to fall flat and the great offensive recruits we have are not being utilized to their best potential then the backlash starts. High school kids will notice. We should all agree that we want to this offense reach max potential. That's why this hire is so critical. Because MB was with Jones for so long and he only lasted 2 seasons in the SEC..

Guys did anyone ask LWS if perhaps Debord is in line as QC? I have only read that he said OC. Also did de1 give any further info- he had mentioned QC also.

There is a long thread on the Michigan scout forum in response to a question that a Tennessee fan posted about DeBord. They basically agree that they should have won a lot more than they did when he was there. They even shared the national title with Nebraska, and they blame the play calling in the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. He got ultra conservative and they almost blew the game. The Michigan offenses were super talented under DeBord. Brady, Henne, Henson, Griese at QB. Multiple first rounders on the OL. First round WR's, RB's, but they just out-talented people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back