Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone believe a rumor that involves Baggett coming back? That's just a lazy ass attempt to make something up.

The more I think of Debord and Butchs comments of taking this as a chance to better his offense not change it. We struggled with short yardage the past two years. Debord strength is his run game. He has had tons of success with the run game. This could be Butch bringing him on to help coordinate the run game to fix those short yardage issues. While Butch and rest of O staff makes sure the foundation is intact and we continue to be innovative. I don't like full title but Co-title I can deal with. Quality control would be even better while bumping Z and Sheridan. Then G gets RC

Yep. This hire has the potential to be good. It's honestly low risk, so I don't see why people are freaking out. High risk is bringing in a young guy who would want to do things his way. See: Dave Clawson.

DeBord makes the running game better and fixes the Oline and the rest of the offense stays the same.

If DeBord was still coaching in the NFL, even as TE coach, or was 10 years younger, the reaction to this hire would be completely different, IMO.

Yep. This hire has the potential to be good. It's honestly low risk, so I don't see why people are freaking out. High risk is bringing in a young guy who would want to do things his way. See: Dave Clawson.

DeBord makes the running game better and fixes the Oline and the rest of the offense stays the same.

If DeBord was still coaching in the NFL, even as TE coach, or was 10 years younger, the reaction to this hire would be completely different, IMO.

But that's kind of the point. He's not doing any of those things.

Reactions: 7 people
But that's kind of the point. He's not doing any of those things.

He was just in the NFL 2 years ago. His resume is a mile long.

And he supposedly has NFL offers on the table.

Just because a guy hasn't coached in 24 months doesn't mean he's worthless. Urban Meyer didn't coach for a year. Bill Snyder didn't coach for 4 years and he's 75.

Reactions: 2 people
He was just in the NFL 2 years ago. His resume is a mile long.

And he supposedly has NFL offers on the table.

Just because a guy hasn't coached in 24 months doesn't mean he's worthless. Urban Meyer didn't coach for a year. Bill Snyder didn't coach for 4 years and he's 75.

I guess my biggest problem is that he has never coached QBs or coordinated an uptempo offense like ours. I would feel better if CBJ would just at least interview some of the candidates who expressed an interest before going all in on DeBord.

It's called freedom of expression. This is an opinion based forum. Things we discuss here have no impact on what Butch or anybody over at UT does. In this country it's perfectly legal and within your rights to be the most bigoted SOB you want to be. You can't be discriminatory in hiring and such but you are free to express yourself any way you want as long as you don't harm others in doing so.

Now, as far as slander goes, you can't say things that are blatantly untrue about someone without risk. You can state your opinion as to whether someone would be a good coach or player. You can report what you have heard from others. Again, this is opinion based forum, and 99% of the stuff posted here is opinion and thus 99% of it is 100% worthless.

There are two discussions here, the academic discussion and the practical discussion.

As a threshold matter, I tend to agree with you on most accounts. And, as I stated, I haven't seen anything specifically that I think rises to the level of this discussion, especially about DeBord. What I was saying is that people tend to believe that what you do here is anonymous and that opinions are somehow protected speech.

As to the general academic discussion: All that is generally required is a communication of information that is false and damages someone. With a public figure (such as a coach or player) the plaintiff might have to prove that the falsehood was communicated with malice (that is that you knew what you said was wrong but said it anyway). Case law and modern interpretation of these issues show that even when someone says 'it is just my opinion', or the statement was made as an opinion, they are not necessarily immune or protected. Further, slander regards the spoken word. Libel is generally anything that is written, including message board posts and even TV broadcasts (as they are generally considered as transcripts and not spoken word).

The practical discussion is that none of that matters. Few on this board can likely afford the defense that would be required against a defamation lawsuit. Simply by suing you, the plaintiff can force you to spend thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars. Thus, the pound of flesh has been extracted even if the case never goes to court. The fact that many on here couldn't afford the defense also makes it less likely to spend the money to sue them to begin with, but I wouldn't advise on using that as a shield.

Further, as this basically a permanent public record, I caution anyone against making bigoted or careless statements, especially about drinking or drug use. Like it or not, your current or future employers could intentionally or accidentally stumble across something said here, and that could very well make one as unhireable as many on volnation believes being a bald fat white guy makes a coach.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Aesius what changed your mind from yesterday I respect your opinion is why I am asking. Also what do you think about Azzanis future?

We all just need to chill by the....
svsaEs2OaQpm8.gif

@FootballScoop: FootballScoop radio on @1045espn in 30 minutes. We'll have @UTCoachJones on. Very interested to hear his thoughts on upcoming OC hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back