Will Berry stay all four years?

lawgator1

After our game, I said that I thought that a bright spot for the Vols was the play of Eric Berry. He made a freshman mistake or two, but you could tell that he has terrific talent and athleticisim and that he has a nose for being where the ball is going to end up. Just great instincts, wish we had him.

A few have posted that they think he could contend for the Heisman and I can see that. He seems to me to have that kind of defensive superstar potential (let's face facts, if a defensive player is going to win it, that player is going to have to be a safety or corner because they make the highlight reels).

Do you guys think Berry is likely to stick it out all the way through? I think Harvin is gone from UF at the end of this year. What about Berry?

Berry will most likely be gone after his 3rd year. If he continues like he is he will be one of the first 10 players taken in the draft. Most players who have that kind of opportunity do not stay for their senior season...occasionally someone does though.

After our game, I said that I thought that a bright spot for the Vols was the play of Eric Berry. He made a freshman mistake or two, but you could tell that he has terrific talent and athleticisim and that he has a nose for being where the ball is going to end up. Just great instincts, wish we had him.

A few have posted that they think he could contend for the Heisman and I can see that. He seems to me to have that kind of defensive superstar potential (let's face facts, if a defensive player is going to win it, that player is going to have to be a safety or corner because they make the highlight reels).

Do you guys think Berry is likely to stick it out all the way through? I think Harvin is gone from UF at the end of this year. What about Berry?

Next year will tell the tale. If he has an opportunity to compete for championships he might stay. He is not from a family that is hoping to live off of his NFL salary, and he doesn't have any children to support (that I know of). I think he is a pre-dental major. That should bring some degree of relief to worried UT fans.

Deoends on how quick he gets his degree, but unless he starts to struggle some, I just don't see it. Deon Grant didn't stay and I think Berry will be better than him.

I dunno, you don't do pre-dentistry if you don't plan on staying...that's just too much work.

This topic has been thrown around a bit on Volnation. Some people, rightfully so, point out that he cares a lot about his academics (great HS GPA, aspires to be a dentist, etc.) and that this will keep him around for his 4 years. I think that his father has also stated that it is important, which would help. However, Berry has also made comments about how he chose DB over QB because he knew that was where he could make his money in the NFL. His eyes are obviously and rightfully so, on that prize as well. My problem with using him wanting to be a dentist as an excuse as to why he would stay 4 years is that those aren't career goals you achieve with one B.S. degree. Even if he stayed four years to get his B.S....and then went to the pros...he would still have to go back to school for 4 more years to get his D.D.S. or M.D.D. (or whatever they are called). If you decided that after your NFL career you still wanted to be a dentist, it would be just as hard to finish up your semester or year for your B.S. and then go on to dental school as it would to go straight on to dental school with your B.S. in hand. So, I think that it ultimately just comes down to how much he values having the B.S. when he is playing in the NFL and how much his father pressures him to at least get it.

I say it is 50/50 that he actually stays.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't players required to stay three years after their HS graduation? If so, Berry will be at UT for the next two years.

Next year will tell the tale. If he has an opportunity to compete for championships he might stay. He is not from a family that is hoping to live off of his NFL salary, and he doesn't have any children to support (that I know of). I think he is a pre-dental major. That should bring some degree of relief to worried UT fans.

That's primarily what I was asking. Seems like a lot of these talented kids come in knowing that there are others who they are going to end up supporting if they do make it all the way. Glad to hear he does not have that kind of pressure on him so he can make a decision without worrying too much about the consequences to others.

I think we've got him for another 2 years assuming he stays healthy and all. But Heisman? No way, Tennessee's players have proven over and iover again they're immune from that sort of thing. They'll give it so some special teams player from Utah if he even gets close.

Because of the prospect of there being another dental professional in the state of Tennessee?...

as with all things related to Tennessee football these days, i shall take it year to year, game by game.

no possible way to predict how this will turn out, but i tend to agree with Lex.....he doesn't seem to have the "need" to jump ship early, and that's a good thing.

Mike Ditka wanted to be a dentist when he was at Pitt and studied it while he was there. Ended up being a hall of fame Tightend...and players weren't making nearly the money then as they do now. I don't know how long it takes to earn a D.D.S. but my guess would be 3-4 years post graduate work. He's not going to worry about 1 year. It'll have little or nothing to do with his education and everything to do with his draft stock.

These days, who are the big time college players that lose out on money because of an injury? Jason Allen had about as bad an injury as I think a DB could have. Still made money. Deon Grant had a similar injury. It doesn't have to be an either or situation for Berry. He can enjoy 4 years at UT and still make his NFL money.

These days, who are the big time college players that lose out on money because of an injury? Jason Allen had about as bad an injury as I think a DB could have. Still made money. Deon Grant had a similar injury. It doesn't have to be an either or situation for Berry. He can enjoy 4 years at UT and still make his NFL money.

Well Justin Harrell gets hurt loses the whole season, but still goes in the first round.

Inky Johnson will never play again and almost loses use of his arm.

It's a toss up. Tyrone Prothro was one of the most impressive wideouts in the past decade. He would have been first wide receiver taken in the draft. He lost out on millions and millions. I don't blame a guy for taking the money, sure the odds of having a career ending injury are somewhat slim, but if it happens your SOL.

It is also a position that the NFL covets highly. The pressure to come out after his junior year will be enormous, assuming he continues to improve. A guy at his skill level, you're a lucky program to get three years...

Any kid that is a "guaranteed" NFL first round pick should leave early. No question.

I admire Peyton for not doing that, but at the end of the day it was a crazy decision.

It's a toss up. Tyrone Prothro was one of the most impressive wideouts in the past decade. He would have been first wide receiver taken in the draft. He lost out on millions and millions.
I get your point about the risks of staying, but Prothro was not going to be the first receiver off the board, unless he was going to turn into the KR/PR machine. He as about 5'8" and 160 or something. That is not the stuff of million dollar wide receivers.

I get your point about the risks of staying, but Prothro was not going to be the first receiver off the board, unless he was going to turn into the KR/PR machine. He as about 5'8" and 160 or something. That is not the stuff of million dollar wide receivers.

He's about 5'8'' 180''

Santana Moss is 5'8'' 180
Steve Smith is 5' 9'' 180

Prothro was around those lines...he was similar to both. I guess I should have said legitimate 1st rounder instead of first wideout picked. He was 1st team all SEC and would have been the following year if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Next year, if Berry continues to perform at the level he did this year, he should take out an insurance policy on himself and stay in school. To me a schollie is a binding contract that no side should be able to break. I am going to get hammered for this aren't I?

Next year, if Berry continues to perform at the level he did this year, he should take out an insurance policy on himself and stay in school. To me a schollie is a binding contract that no side should be able to break. I am going to get hammered for this aren't I?

That would be fine if it were a binding contract that neither side could break...but it isn't. It isn't designed that way. So, if a kid wants to leave early, I don't tend to have a problem with it.

VN Store

Back