Any old timers?

volbrawler

Anybody old enough to remember the 1976-1980 years for UT? That stretch doesn't seem to be good at all. Trying to compare it to us from 2010-present.

Going off memory, but it seems we only had one losing season those years. It is now becoming routine, which is not acceptable be Vol standards.

Reactions: 2 people
Going off memory, but it seems we only had one losing season those years. It is now becoming routine, which is not acceptable be Vol standards.

I get that tecnically 6-6 isn't a losing season, but let's be honest here, it definitely is a losing season.

In that stretch UT was 6-5, 5-5, 5-6, 4-7, and 7-5. That's a horrendous stretch for us.

One big difference is the coach back then had a NC under his belt, not one co-co and one co -co-co "championship" of a 7 team conference.

Reactions: 1 person
How? OP says that this stretch is longer, which doesn't seem to be the case. Also, '77 was Jonny's first year as head coach. It wasn't until Major's fifth year as a head coach that he won at least 8 games.

Our expectations were lower back then.

Back then SEC competition was not as good. I think you could always count on wins against Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy, and Kentucky. These teams are probably a little better than Majors first teams but only barely.

Last edited:
Bama was dominating in the Seventies and Eighties,
even KY was good in the late seventies and early eighties,
Vols were trying to recover from Battles lack of recruiting lineman, when Majors came largest lineman weighed 225 on D. Recruiting restrictions started and took a while to fix it.

I get that tecnically 6-6 isn't a losing season, but let's be honest here, it definitely is a losing season.

In that stretch UT was 6-5, 5-5, 5-6, 4-7, and 7-5. That's a horrendous stretch for us.

Close. I was a student 1975-1979.

1975 7-5 (no bowl, extra game at Hawaii)
1976 6-5 (no bowl)
1977 4-7 (no bowl)
1978 5-5-1 (no bowl)
1979 7-5 (lost bowl game)

1975 started with promise with a win against a ranked Maryland team, a close loss at UCLA and a win against Auburn. We were 3-1 and the from that point on until the 1979 season we weren't competitive against anyone good. 1979 we got hopeful with a 27-17 loss at Bama where we were up 17-0 in the first half.

After Peyton retires he needs to be immediately hired as new HC. That's the only solution.

Anybody old enough to remember the 1976-1980 years for UT? That stretch doesn't seem to be good at all. Trying to compare it to us from 2010-present.

I saw my first Tennessee game in 1945 and I have seen good times and bad times. My father, brother, and son lettered at Tennessee and one brother lettered at Cal Berkley. This team is the first team in 4-5 years which has shown any improvement and none have recruited at the level of Coach Jones. While many of the posters here think success can be obtained with out hard work, those of us who are mature enough to have retired realize that the key to success is dedication to the cause, experience in the field of operation and skilled employees who have learned the trade. the most compelling ingredients are confidence and a positive attitude. Rebuilding is difficult and takes time. Being critical of the organization leads to destruction and failure. It is difficult foe me that intelligent people can not realize the task at hand and the work it takes to succeed. Criticism at this point in the programs development show lack of knowledge and an immature perspective on live. Quitters seldom accomplish any of their goals. Pleas support our football coaches, players and our University. Sometimes expressing support for what we love requires more discipline than some of our posters seem to possess. With understanding and patience, we will obtain success during the next two years. Get on the train and enjoy the ride back to the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Competition back then was not as good. I believe this team is better than back then. Carl Pickens started playing about the sixth or seventh game his freshman year. He was pissed because he lost being red shirted but it turn the year around for us. He was a great receiver but he played safety on defense also. Probably our best defensive player!!

I was in school then. We were pretty bad and struggled for years just to get into a bowl game. Fewer bowl games back then. We are that same caliber with this team today. Mediocre with glaring deficencies at key positions.

Only real drama left this year is whether this team loses 8 for the first time ever.

I saw my first Tennessee game in 1945 and I have seen good times and bad times. My father, brother, and son lettered at Tennessee and one brother lettered at Cal Berkley. This team is the first team in 4-5 years which has shown any improvement and none have recruited at the level of Coach Jones. While many of the posters here think success can be obtained with out hard work, those of us who are mature enough to have retired realize that the key to success is dedication to the cause, experience in the field of operation and skilled employees who have learned the trade. the most compelling ingredients are confidence and a positive attitude. Rebuilding is difficult and takes time. Being critical of the organization leads to destruction and failure. It is difficult foe me that intelligent people can not realize the task at hand and the work it takes to succeed. Criticism at this point in the programs development show lack of knowledge and an immature perspective on live. Quitters seldom accomplish any of their goals. Pleas support our football coaches, players and our University. Sometimes expressing support for what we love requires more discipline than some of our posters seem to possess. With understanding and patience, we will obtain success during the next two years. Get on the train and enjoy the ridgeback to the top.

Well said! I to remember the bad times and CBJ is doing this the right way. It just takes time and if the fans will give him time this team and university will be rewarded!!

This is far worse. Worst of those years was '77 and the '78 team improved greatly as the year went on. The '80 team lost 2 heartbreakers to Georgia and Southern Cal to start the season.

VN Store

Back