Your highest rated movies

I didn't spend long enough thinking about each category, but these were the first movies that came to mind:

Best overall movie: Godfather
Best cop movie: Die Hard
Best military movie: Black Hawk Down
Best courtroom movie: My Cousin Vinny
Best sports movie: Hoosiers
Best sci fi movie: Donnie Darko
Best space adventure movie: Empire Strikes Back
Best comic book movie: Dark Knight
Best kids animated movie: Lego Movie
Best musical: Blues Brothers
Best fantasy movie: The Two Towers
Best western movie: Tombstone
Best silly comedy: Tommy Boy
Best stoner comedy: Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny
Best dark comedy: The Big Lebowski
Best romantic comedy: Annie Hall
Best mafia movie: Goodfellas
Best movie about a cop posing as a kindergarten teacher: Kindergarten Cop

Breaking it down into categories is a good idea and that's a nice list but I would put Raising Arizona under Best silly comedy, Blade Runner under Best sci fi movie and Excalibur under Best fantasy. JMO.

The most mentions so far have been Tombstone, The Godfather, Goodfellas and My Cousin Vinny.... and I can't believe how many times Caddyshack has been mentioned. God, I hate that movie.

Yes it is... It's a little long. Might be why it's underrated.

But it doesn't drag on like a lot of "long" movies. Sometimes you have serious gaps in movies where you're like "okay, time for an explosion or someone to get shot" as you yawn. But "Heat" tends to keep your attention.

But it doesn't drag on like a lot of "long" movies. Sometimes you have serious gaps in movies where you're like "okay, time for an explosion or someone to get shot" as you yawn. But "Heat" tends to keep your attention.

It had the most realistic 'looking' robberies I've seen in film. It also involves you in the personal lives of both the cops and the criminals which most movies don't do. By the end of Heat, you understand the driving forces behind each of them and they aren't portrayed strictly in black and white. We see Vincent's (Pacino) flaws and McCauley's (DeNiro) strengths. The criminals aren't trying to commit murder (except for one that they disassociate with) and they aren't losers either. It also had a great cast aside from just Pacino and DeNiro.

Breaking it down into categories is a good idea and that's a nice list but I would put Raising Arizona under Best silly comedy, Blade Runner under Best sci fi movie and Excalibur under Best fantasy. JMO.

The most mentions so far have been Tombstone, The Godfather, Goodfellas and My Cousin Vinny.... and I can't believe how many times Caddyshack has been mentioned. God, I hate that movie.

Love Raising Arizona but I don't really consider it a silly comedy. I guess it is, but it just seems smarter than that label implies.

BTW, my username is an allusion to Raising Arizona. My name is Nathan and I live in Arizona. In the movie, Nathan Arizona's name is revealed to be Nathan Huffhines.

Reactions: 2 people
Love Raising Arizona but I don't really consider it a silly comedy. I guess it is, but it just seems smarter than that label implies.

BTW, my username is an allusion to Raising Arizona. My name is Nathan and I live in Arizona. In the movie, Nathan Arizona's name is revealed to be Nathan Huffhines.

My mind is blown!

Reactions: 3 people
The Green Mile
Scent of a Woman
Fallen
City Slickers
Groundhog Day
Naked Gun
Austin Powers (pretty much all of 'em)
Dolores Claiborne
The Sixth Sense
The Patriot

Last edited:
I would also have put Hacksaw Ridge in my top movies, but I have only seen it once. I'm not sure how it will hold up under repeated viewings. It is a great movie imo so far.

Took me years to develop my Top 5. They are as follows:

1. Cinderella Man
2. Gangs of New York
3. The Departed
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. Warrior (Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton, possibly the most underrated movie of all time)

VN Store

Back