You can try and blame the refs...

Just wanna thank y’all for this win! This is the best we’ve been playing in years. Maybe NOW we’ll get ranked. Y’all will rebound and be okay too. Hell of a win! Yall made it a little scary late.
Credit to your guys for a big win. They don't come easy on the road in this league. Now, let me also warn you not to get too giddy. Similar to the whipping your football team gave ours two seasons ago, the return to reality will be harsh at some point. I remember heading into this past season how overconfident the Gamecock football fans were. We saw how that turned out. Again, big win for your guys, enjoy it while you can, because the return to reality won't be fun.

I love JJJ but he’s never been a pure shooter. Idk what is going on with Santi this yr but we need him scoring.
Santi is a very good catch and shoot on the 3's, but he passes up on so many of those. He has never been that good at manufacturing his own shots though.

Santi is a very good catch and shoot on the 3's, but he passes up on so many of those. He has never been that good at manufacturing his own shots though.
Seriously? Anyone who watched him play the last 4 years knows of the countless screens he runs off of to free himself for an open 3. Or the countless times he’s pump faked, side dribbled when the defender bit, then hit a 3. There’s very few times I recall him just hanging out on the perimeter for a catch and shoot 3.

I won’t blame the refs for tonight’s loss. The players played poorly - too many bunnies were missed, rarely were 2 free throws made, key offensive rebounds were given up after getting stops on lengthy USCjr possessions. USCjr had 10 or 15 point blank baskets. The TN coaches were out coached by the USC staff.

It’s pretty ugly basketball when the game plan is to clear out and have a thick player, not necessarily with basketball skills, just bounce the defender out of his way with his big butt until he’s under the rim. That’s rule interpretation and TN coaches didn’t have an answer.

But as far as refs - I have NEVER seen a ref SPRINT to the other end of the court to get in a head coach’s face before. I don’t know if it was shown on TV, but it was probably the most bizarre officiating for a couple of seconds of game clock that I have ever witnessed. And calling the fouls immediately after SPRINTING to Barnes (who wasn’t even a toenail outside of his coaching box). WTF?
That's Pat Adams.

Why he's allowed to ref TN games is beyond my comprehension. He's showed a deliberate bias against TN for years.

But missing 15 layups, 8 free throws, and getting outrebounded and out hustled is the reason.

We did miss a lot of bunnies and free throws but the main reason for this loss is that we played at South Carolina's TEMPO and did not generate enough fast break points.

Credit to your guys for a big win. They don't come easy on the road in this league. Now, let me also warn you not to get too giddy. Similar to the whipping your football team gave ours two seasons ago, the return to reality will be harsh at some point. I remember heading into this past season how overconfident the Gamecock football fans were. We saw how that turned out. Again, big win for your guys, enjoy it while you can, because the return to reality won't be fun.
Hopefully we can keep it up. I just want to make the NCAAT. Two top ten wins in a week is huge but basketball is a sport that always makes me nervous because you never know what the cardiac cocks are going. To do. Good luck to y'all too!

Just wanna thank y’all for this win! This is the best we’ve been playing in years. Maybe NOW we’ll get ranked. Y’all will rebound and be okay too. Hell of a win! Yall made it a little scary late.
You still still have Shane Beamer, and we don’t.

Tbh. SC kicked UT’s ass and with our experience, depth & talent. That should never happen. Unless we really don’t have any of the above .

Unfortunately your post is the recipe of going home in March. I still think the ceiling is a national championship, but we must find other scorers as Knecht can’t do it all.
No disagreement. Obviously if we play like that in the NCAAT, we're going home. That isn't groundbreaking. I'd just offer some perspective that we haven't played that way very often, this year. So there's hope to be found in that.

Reactions: vol94
Small ball lineups are just not gonna cut it in a game like that unless your the team making the threes. They just manhandled us inside which led to open threes when we collapsed.
Yep, that was a grave tactical error. I was screaming at my TV when he made that switch during our FTs. I saw the result coming a mile away, how did he not? And why stick with it as long as he did? Just a really bad decision. I'd love to hear the line of thinking behind it.

Reactions: walkenvol
All this team wants to do is shoot 3's, but they cannot defend the 3's. That last 3 that SC hit was wide open & ZZ was 15ft away at the paint & did the usual run to the shooter, then jump & fly-by the shooter, the shooter steps away, then drains the 3! DK is the only player that attacks the rim! The times our players got in the paint they could not hit the layups! They are always too worried about getting their shots blocked that they shoot the layup too high or too hard! Terrible free throw shooting! JJJ & SV should not be starting! When Aidoo is in foul trouble, he has got to change his game! One of his fouls came from behind the 3 pt line when the SC player was not even shooting! Losing that home game with 20,000+ fans & this team cannot hit a layup is scary!

It can be both.

It's fair to point out that the officials called the game completely different from the 1st half (10 total fouls) to the 2nd half (24 total fouls).

It's also fair to note that we missed 15 layups and 8 FTs.

It's also fair to note that USCe hit a 10 3s on a night where we couldn't throw it in the ocean.

It's also fair to question Barnes's defensive strategy to with a small defensive lineup down 5 points and gifting points to SC's big man on three straight possessions.

We failed in a lot of aspects with our play and coaching, but we also got hosed by Pat and the boys in the 2nd half.
Sums it up perfectly. A perfect storm of awful. Defensive intensity wasn't what it's been either. Far too many wide open 3's for them and I'll never understand why we weren't providing some backside help when fat boy got the ball inside.

To be honest, this was a team loss, especially from the post.

Coach also has to take a lot of responsibility. His rotation at the end of the
game is a head scratcher. Needed more of JP also. Again, too much Gainey

VN Store

Back