You can try and blame the refs...

One of those games. They happen, you just hope they don't in March. UT clearly wasn't sharp tonight, part of that was solid defense by USC and part was the atrocious officiating, but the body language wasn't good after all the missed layups and 3's, which is something Barnes should be focusing on. It's a long season, no need to be on the ledge.

12 points combined from 2 starters and the entire bench!!!! And you guys want to blame Pat Adams, give me a break.
It can be both.

It's fair to point out that the officials called the game completely different from the 1st half (10 total fouls) to the 2nd half (24 total fouls).

It's also fair to note that we missed 15 layups and 8 FTs.

It's also fair to note that USCe hit a 10 3s on a night where we couldn't throw it in the ocean.

It's also fair to question Barnes's defensive strategy to with a small defensive lineup down 5 points and gifting points to SC's big man on three straight possessions.

We failed in a lot of aspects with our play and coaching, but we also got hosed by Pat and the boys in the 2nd half.

It happens when the team starts listening to what everybody is saying about them. Just go out and play your game, stay tuff and don't get down on yourself. To me it seemed Vescovi, Mashack and Awaka was playing good defense but no one else. S. Carolina just put the ball in the hoop better than U.T. We will bounce back. This Saturday ehhh maybe not but after yep we'll be fine

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
Bellyaching about the refs is weak minded. They beat us, straight, in damn near every stat that matters. We shot a higher FG %, but that’s only because DK made a few toward the end. THIS is exactly how we’ll get beat in March, 2 points from JJJ and 2 points from Ziegler, and 8 points off the bench, absolutely terrible.
I agree that Barnes need to find other scorers, and quick. I don’t think JJJ is the answer. Aidoo is inconsistent and struggles to catch the ball. Santi is inconsistent and passing up open shots. I hope ZZ was a one off and had a bad game, but he had some concerning moments Vs. Vandy.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The refs did the same **** in the Purdue game this year. It’s good to play bully ball when the calls are going your way.

I won’t blame the refs for tonight’s loss. The players played poorly - too many bunnies were missed, rarely were 2 free throws made, key offensive rebounds were given up after getting stops on lengthy USCjr possessions. USCjr had 10 or 15 point blank baskets. The TN coaches were out coached by the USC staff.

It’s pretty ugly basketball when the game plan is to clear out and have a thick player, not necessarily with basketball skills, just bounce the defender out of his way with his big butt until he’s under the rim. That’s rule interpretation and TN coaches didn’t have an answer.

But as far as refs - I have NEVER seen a ref SPRINT to the other end of the court to get in a head coach’s face before. I don’t know if it was shown on TV, but it was probably the most bizarre officiating for a couple of seconds of game clock that I have ever witnessed. And calling the fouls immediately after SPRINTING to Barnes (who wasn’t even a toenail outside of his coaching box). WTF?

Bellyaching about the refs is weak minded. They beat us, straight, in damn near every stat that matters. We shot a higher FG %, but that’s only because DK made a few toward the end. THIS is exactly how we’ll get beat in March, 2 points from JJJ and 2 points from Ziegler, and 8 points off the bench, absolutely terrible.
I agree we have to have more points from others besides DK. James needs to shoot more of the elbow shots, he is very good there. One man can't beat a decent team.

It can be both.

It's fair to point out that the officials called the game completely different from the 1st half (10 total fouls) to the 2nd half (24 total fouls).

It's also fair to note that USCe hit a 10 3s on a night where we couldn't throw it in the ocean.

It's also fair to question Barnes's defensive strategy to with a small defensive lineup down 5 points and gifting points to SC's big man on three straight possessions.

We failed in a lot of aspects with our play and coaching, but we also got hosed by Pat and the boys in the 2nd half.
Unfortunately your post is the recipe of going home in March. I still think the ceiling is a national championship, but we must find other scorers as Knecht can’t do it all.

I won’t blame the refs for tonight’s loss. The players played poorly - too many bunnies were missed, rarely were 2 free throws made, key offensive rebounds were given up after getting stops on lengthy USCjr possessions. USCjr had 10 or 15 point blank baskets. The TN coaches were out coached by the USC staff.

It’s pretty ugly basketball when the game plan is to clear out and have a thick player, not necessarily with basketball skills, just bounce the defender out of his way with his big butt until he’s under the rim. That’s rule interpretation and TN coaches didn’t have an answer.

But as far as refs - I have NEVER seen a ref SPRINT to the other end of the court to get in a head coach’s face before. I don’t know if it was shown on TV, but it was probably the most bizarre officiating for a couple of seconds of game clock that I have ever witnessed. And calling the fouls immediately after SPRINTING to Barnes (who wasn’t even a toenail outside of his coaching box). WTF?
Need a video clip of that!

While the officials clearly struggled tonight we simply missed to many bunnies and couldn’t make our free throws. And couldn’t get rebounds when we desperately needed a stop. SC deserved to win…but the Vols really looked bad. Poor DK needs someone to help wirh the scoring as well. Simply can NOT have JJJ scoring 2 pts and expect to win 🤷‍♂️. . And Aidoo sitting with foul trouble didn’t help the flow either. It’s a long season and teams will have a loss or two like this.

The commentators kept saying "bunnies" tonight too. What is a bunny?

I played basketball all my life and never heard that term, is that like a layup?

It can be both.

Small ball lineups are just not gonna cut it in a game like that unless your the team making the threes. They just manhandled us inside which led to open threes when we collapsed.

Small ball lineups are just not gonna cut it in a game like that unless your the team making the threes. They just manhandled us inside which led to open threes when we collapsed.
Cmon dude, we had way more rim shots than SC. They didn’t manhandle us in the paint.

I agree we have to have more points from others besides DK. James needs to shoot more of the elbow shots, he is very good there. One man can't beat a decent team.
We have go back to playing five on five on the offensive end. DK will get his in any type game but it want be enough if others aren't involved.

Reactions: cgrish

That came from the last game when he got the technical.
Refs talk and they control the game way too much.
So anything they could do to step on Barnes and his team, they did.

Reactions: Putbacks
Hey now. This team is awesome and will make a deep NCAAT run. May I ask why you despise us so much?
To make a deep run we will have to play much more consistent than we play. When we play our best we can play with any team in the country. I don't believe I have ever seen so many missed under the basket shots.

Cmon dude, we had way more rim shots than SC. They didn’t manhandle us in the paint.
We always miss those shots when we face those type teams. It's who we are. It starts with Aidoo. He struggles to finish inside against physical play.

This was right in front of us, and it was incredibly strange. Barnes isn't the kind of guy to be screaming expletives. What in the world could have justified that confrontation???

I agree that Barnes need to find other scorers, and quick. I don’t think JJJ is the answer. Aidoo is inconsistent and struggles to catch the ball. Santi is inconsistent and passing up open shots. I hope ZZ was a one off and had a bad game, but he had some concerning moments Vs. Vandy.
I agree about Santi, he passes up too many wide open shots. I think ZZ will be back, James just isn't clicking at all offensively.

We have go back to playing five on five on the offensive end. DK will get his in any type game but it want be enough if others aren't involved.

I think that TN tried to do that early and NOBODY stepped up. They finally threw in the towel and tried to let Knecht take care of business, but the game was 40 minutes long instead of 42.

VN Store

Back