"Year of the Monkey" Judged Too Offensive by Learned Scholar, DeMarcus Cousins

So we're offended by someone else being offended?

Or are we just using this as an opportunity to gaze upon black folks and scratch our heads?

All jokes aside, "offense" is a pretty strong word.

I, for one, happen to find this particular incident as a wonderful case study in our nation's hierarchies of oppression. Why, for example, do the concerns of a few NBA players and their cohorts trump the culture/heritage of Chinese-Americans? Well, the simplest answer is that they're NBA players and could make just about whatever demands they want, but that alone doesn't explain it all. That is only one power dynamic at play. The other is the strength of the interests/concerns of black Americans over the interests/concerns of Asian-Americans - Chinese-Americans in this particular case.

The odd thing is that Jews have faced relatively little oppression in the US, but, due to the power of the Jewish and Israel lobbies and due to the Holocaust (which did not even occur here) their concerns garner a vastly disproportionate amount of attention.
Example???

Anti-semite?

Or are we just using this as an opportunity to gaze upon black folks and scratch our heads?

Not offended.... Just amazed by the level of butthurt pussification that exists today. Everyone is hurt or offended by something all the time. It's like a bunch of freaking spoiled kindergarteners running around in need of a nap.

Reactions: 1 person
Plot twist: Kings' front office is racist and this was all a ruse to call blacks "monkeys"

Offended isn't the right word for me. It's not personal.

It's not about black folks - it's about any group that uses this SJW tactic to coerce others to bend to their viewpoint.

There are students at Oregon who are objecting to MLKJr's I have a dream text being displayed because it doesn't explicitly advocate gender equality. It's nuts!

I understand that Cousins may take offense. That's his reality. When his offense becomes the rational for forcing change and shame on what I'm guessing was an innocent gesture then I think we are going to far.

As Volprof points out too; it is an implicit shot at Chinese Americans though I'm sure unintended. If some of them objected who wins the offense off?

Just my .02

Reactions: 3 people
Based on what is said in the article, I have no problem at all with Cousins. Maybe don't get "animated" but it's a black sport and they release shirts that say "Year of the Monkey" on the first day of black history month. It's the ultimate coincidence. Have the Kings done "Year of..." shirts before?

If Cousins is calling people racist and making wild accusations, that's one thing. If he's saying I don't like the way this looks, WTF cares? A bunch of crybabies, that's who.

Based on what is said in the article, I have no problem at all with Cousins. Maybe don't get "animated" but it's a black sport and they release shirts that say "Year of the Monkey" on the first day of black history month. It's the ultimate coincidence. Have the Kings done "Year of..." shirts before?

If Cousins is calling people racist and making wild accusations, that's one thing. If he's saying I don't like the way this looks, WTF cares? A bunch of crybabies, that's who.

Are you racist towards Chinese people, Huff? Sounds like you aren't very sympathetic to their plight. Maybe you should be more accepting of Chinese cultural history.

See how dumb my statement is? Well, that's how dumb Cousins' criticism is.

Are you racist towards Chinese people, Huff? Sounds like you aren't very sympathetic to their plight. Maybe you should be more accepting of Chinese cultural history.

See how dumb my statement is? Well, that's how dumb Cousins' criticism is.

Not sure how you equate my position with racism towards the Chinese.

Not sure how you equate my position with racism towards the Chinese.

Well, it was a joke, just in case that wasn't clear.

But, in all seriousness, why are the concerns of some black Americans over this shirt more important than Chinese cultural history?

Maybe it's because I'm white and don't have to be as sensitive (I don't use that term disparagingly here) on matters of race, because I can afford not to, but I really have to wonder about anyone who looks at a purple monkey and automatically attaches it to Black History Month, especially when doing so demonstrates such ignorance to another one of our immigrant groups and its culture.

Well, it was a joke, just in case that wasn't clear.

But, in all seriousness, why are the concerns of some black Americans over this shirt more important than Chinese cultural history?

Maybe it's because I'm white and don't have to be as sensitive (I don't use that term disparagingly here) on matters of race, because I can afford not to, but I really have to wonder about anyone who looks at a purple monkey and automatically attaches it to Black History Month, especially when doing so demonstrates such ignorance to another one of our immigrant groups and its culture.

The NBA was trying to squeeze a buck out of the Chinese. His concern is not more important, the $ is what's important.

Good grief. Do a google image search and look at that thing. "Happy Lunar New Year". You'd think that based on the outrage the monkey would at least be wearing a jersey and dribbling a basketball.

Chinese-Americans who would like to do/see something creative with the Chinese New Year (evidently falls on February, which I was not aware of previously) should not have to take those offended into consideration. Anyone offended with it should study things and learn a bit more before making goofy associations. They shouldn't have to suffer just because a few knuckleheads automatically associate monkeys with African-Americans.

Ideally yes, but you and I know there would be a bunch of idiots on the Interwebs yukking it up about this promotion. It is a black dominated sport and to pass out shirts with monkeys on the first day of black history month would provide fodder. When operating a company, perception of marketing efforts is something that must be considered. I used to be a GM for Ruby Tuesday (in my previous life) and the clientele at my particular location was predominantly 45-65 and well to do. One year home office sent out signs that we were supposed to display leading up to Thanksgiving that read, "We are closed on Thanksgiving, so get stuffed." I refused to display the signage because although it was meant to be in jest, some of my clientele would likely find it offensive.

Surely there is a way to honor Chinese cultural history in a way that might be perceived poorly by a large segment of your target demographic.

Last edited:
I always wondered why Memphis chose Grizzlies as their mascot instead of the obvious first choice.

Well, the team was originally from Vancouver and the folks in Memphis lack the imagination to change it to something more culturally appropriate.

Well, the team was originally from Vancouver and the folks in Memphis lack the imagination to change it to something more culturally appropriate.

The Grizzlies moniker actually isn't without precedent in Memphis. One of many failed football franchises in the city was officially called the "Memphis Southmen", but the logo was a bear and the name was so widely hated that they were referred to as the Grizzlies.

Regardless, the Grizzly name has fit the play style of the team in recent years like a glove, so the only people complaining are those like IPleadInsanity who apparently think they should be called the Chimps and a few butthurt Canadians whining about cultural appropriation.

VN Store

Back