Wtf has happened to this world? Gender neutral UT

This, while an unfortunate bit of stupidity unworthy of a thinking mind, is not the doomsday harbinger of Armageddon you and your ilk would like to believe but rather an issue that only affects you to the extent that you allow it to.

I would expect nothing less of VN than to open a thread lamenting the state of the world only to find a petty complaint lodged at the behest of paranoia and hyperbole.

Nevermind the billions deprived of potable water, the real problem is women having too much control over their own bodies, some colleges espousing gobbledygook here and there, etc.
Because the ideas are mutually exclusive? We can't be concerned about world hunger and have an opinion on the blatant stupidity of this subject?

Reactions: 1 person
This is one of those sky is falling threads for conservatives, obviously not much is going to come of this weirdness.

However, these sort of initiatives do reflect the other side of the issue of gender bias. People are too quick to dismiss this stuff as nonsense without trying to understand the social factors which motivate it.

You think your 2nd paragraph is a personal revelation? Maybe you should listen to conservatives more, they are a little deeper than what you think.

Hint: right or wrong we assume you get the underlying meanings without us having to make a VP like rant out of it.

I disagree. You don't have to be blind to gender bias to see this is ridiculous and a very shallow attempt to address gender bias.

We certainly agree that it's ridiculous.

I don't buy that a misguided desire of academics to advance their career is the only thing driving these sorts of initiatives. Race, gender, and sex bias are real. Perhaps, you've had the experience of being the only white guy at some sort of social function. Being in a minority position like that changes the way you think and interact with people. That psychology can obviously be taken to weird extremes such as this, but some people undoubtedly do feel excluded because of their minority status and that needs to be respected.

Reactions: 2 people
This is one of those sky is falling threads for conservatives, obviously not much is going to come of this weirdness.

However, these sort of initiatives do reflect the other side of the issue of gender bias. People are too quick to dismiss this stuff as nonsense without trying to understand the social factors which motivate it.

This weirdness you speak of is complete nonsense....

Gender identity may be an issue for some, but it has to be a very small percentage.

Reactions: 2 people
This is what happens when nitwits speak too soon.

Like, before consulting where I direct them, yet having an opinion.

You'll lie out your *******, but I guarantee you you have a kid at UT.

Know how I know? Because they're imbeciles that basically ignore all direction yet insist on constantly having an opinion on everything.

Anyhow, you and I agree on this issue, dumbass.

It's not that he disagrees with you; it's the arrogance in making a post in a thread saying you've already made a post concerning the issue in another thread, and suggesting that it would be in our benefit to go read it. You may be a professor but you are also an arrogant a$$hole.

Reactions: 9 people
This, while an unfortunate bit of stupidity unworthy of a thinking mind, is not the doomsday harbinger of Armageddon you and your ilk would like to believe but rather an issue that only affects you to the extent that you allow it to.

I would expect nothing less of VN than to open a thread lamenting the state of the world only to find a petty complaint lodged at the behest of paranoia and hyperbole.

Nevermind the billions deprived of potable water, the real problem is women having too much control over their own bodies, some colleges espousing gobbledygook here and there, etc.

When are people going to learn that crap like this is a gigantic red herring, simply isn't an argument, and literally adds nothing the conversation?

If you want to discuss the topic then do so and if you don't then don't. It's really that simple. Coimg in and pointing out there are bigger problems in the world as the basis of your argument is idiotic, lame, and fallacious.

Reactions: 5 people
The country we once knew, even 10 years ago is done and you will never see it again. These far left idiots own every level of education and will further indoctrinate your kids. This country likely cannot be saved and may no longer be worth saving.

It's funny because every generation says this.

If'n only we could go back to the good ole' days where them blacks were in chains, women were pregnant and in the kitchen, and them q*eers didn't back'sass our arbitrary judgement.

Your view of this country is a special snowflake though, right?

Lighten up Frances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people

Hell is getting cold. However....

Ban the NFL. Male dominated culture with skimpy dressed ladies that are degrading to women everywhere .

Joke of courses but my point is valid. They pick and choose what to attack like any other political posse on whatever the new bounty is for the day.
We need more white guys in the NBA. It's only fair, right?

Reactions: 3 people
It's funny because every generation says this.

If'n only we could go back to the good ole' days where them blacks were in chains, women were pregnant and in the kitchen, and them q*eers didn't back'sass our arbitrary judgement.

Your view of this country is a special snowflake though, right?

Lighten up Frances.

wow.

It's not that he disagrees with you; it's the arrogance in making a post in a thread saying you've already made a post concerning the issue in another thread, and suggesting that it would be in our benefit to go read it. You may be a professor but you are also an arrogant a$$hole.
He doesn't get it due to his normal defensive posture.

I'm okay, Volfanhill.

But I'm about to help some on here out.

See, I said, if you wanted to know my opinion (before making smartass comments), then consult the Ukraine thread.

No one did that. And, instead, just made smartass comments.

So, I'm about to treat said people like I do my college students.

Which is to say, I'm going to treat you like middle school kids because my college students typically have has much difficulty with simple directions as you do.

So, here middle schoolers; I'll copy and paste my post on the matter. For the record, it is what I include below. So, what I include below in quotations is my thoughts on the matter of the OP's post. Let me clarify. What I include in quotes is my post I made and have copied from another thread (since those of you in question were too lazy to go there, yet can post all ******n day on here about stupid **** constantly). So the following is my original response to this issue, even before you knew it was an issue. (And I credit my good friend, Velo Vol, a rational and careful thinker, for bringing this to my attention.) THE FOLLOWING IS MY POST. NOTE HOW IT IS IN QUOTATIONS, LIKE I SAY ABOVE:

"I prefer to speak English.

On a serious note, this sounds like just another crackpot idea from someone in the Diversity office who is most likely a young, new hire wanting to make a splash and have some "great" initiative to further put on her resume. We had *******s like this from time to time in the English department, who would go out of their ways to change accepted praxis and curricula just so they could further pad their CVs, while complicating the **** out of things for the rest of us.

I draw the line here. While some of this is well-meaning, I also ask where does it stop? I'm fine calling someone a she, or a he, or whatever they prefer, as long as they let me know. I'm not, however, (nor should anyone else) going to go out of my way to make sure I have it done straight beforehand. I'm typically not one to whine about "woe is us these days," because the good, ole' days had their own problems, but I will admit that this seems to a be a recent phenomenon in our society, wherein, if you're not fully accommodated by everyone than there can be no equality. That line of thinking is bull****, quite frankly. The world should respect you, but it should not have to accommodate your every need and desire.

Now, one thing I am trying to do is be more cautious with my use of the term "ma'am," particularly out here in California (which is not as liberal wacko as people back home think, though it is certainly more "liberal"). Since the term does carry some negative connotations (largely a contextual issue, but as you've probably notice, people don't care much for context when it comes to social issues), I have tried to back off a bit, although I still find myself using it to address a random female more often than not. I've been trying though to adopt "miss" instead for any random female I need to address.

Now, if they don't like "miss" either, than I'm not quite sure what I'll do. I guess I'll just have to start addressing them, "Hey, you."

Luckily, even "ma'am" hasn't been an issue yet."

THIS CONCLUDES MY POST. This concludes what I originally said. Does everyone understand this?

Did everyone get that?

I don't know how else to direct you. If you want me to keep treating you all like middle school students, which you apparently are, then I will.

Thank you.

And, as always, God bless America.

Your issue is making assumptions. I never wanted to know your opinion, whether it was the same as mine or not was irrelevant to me. It appears you were never able to grasp that fact. I dont find that shocking.

Reactions: 3 people

Uh...you're on the politics forum of a University of Tennessee message board. Not to take away from how stupid this would actually be at any university, it is the from the university a lot of us actually received a degree.

So spare us your dramatics: doomsday, harbinger, lament, hyperbole. By the way, you're free to start a thread concerning potable water, or lack of it.

Reactions: 7 people

The sky isn't falling, but it is concerning to see this kind of stupidity come out Knoxville. I expect this stuff from Cal, among other places.

It is ridiculous to encourage a child or a student along this path of thinking. Changing words will do nothing. It certainly won't prepare any of these students who embrace such absurdity for the real world.

Examining the social factors doesn't make the idea any less stupid.

VN Store

Back