Wright closing in on UT all time leading rusher

Where he may get drafted matters.

Unfortunately, in the NFL RBs are a dime a dozen. He may get drafted, but it won't be before the 3ed IMO.
True, but there will be just as many RBs next year. There is also a chance the running game won't be featured the same way with a new QB coming in. If he shows out in the next 3 games, especially Georgia, I don't know what coming back will do for him.

Reactions: murfvol1
Hope he comes back but fully understand if he doesn’t he’s a hell of a RB and will do good in the NFL.

Reactions: Ratvol
Jesus, you are EXACTLY what I was talking about with the personal attacks. I'll tell you what; you don't like my posts, then do me and the world a favor and keep your ill mannered mouth shut. JERK.
Nah...you deserved that. There was no sense in making that comment.

Reactions: pimo1
I think Small has 97% maxed out his physical development, and enjoyed a relatively injury-free season so far. I don't know how much there is left for him to learn and apply to the mental aspects of the position, but from what we hear, he's a leader and teacher in the RB room. All of which leaves him (IMHO) either NFL-ready after this season, or just not a Sunday prospect.

If the latter is the case, he stays on the team and takes advantage of his scholarship to progress academically toward his career goals. Or... if he has the potential and desire, and encouragement from the staff, he re-focuses on a coaching track and accepts back-up playing status to the up-and-coming young backs, while investing himself in their development--but now from a professional mindset.

Everything I've seen and heard about Jabari says that he is a high quality individual, the kind of person you want to invest in because he's going to create a positive future whatever path he chooses. And if that path keeps him inside the UTAD building another year or two---that's a win-win for this program.

What does the UT record list look like for average yards per carry?
And what is the minimum number of carries to qualify for the list?

I think in Heupel's offense, this will be the key and telling statistic--both for fans and for NFL scouts.

With the way the NFL views RBs lately as "disposable positions" with a life span that barely gets you out of the rookie contract, it would not surprise me.at all for both Small and Wright to go early and make the money while they can...and I would not blame either of them.

Reactions: murfvol1 and pimo1
Wright should and will go to the Draft next year.

RBs don’t have a very long shelf life.

Take the money.

Considering he's averaging 7.5ypc and 3rd in the SEC in rushing despite averaging only 12cpg it seems unlikely the trade off for staying vs draft position isn't very strong. There's no reason to believe next year won't be as much (if not more) a by committee scenario than this year and less wear on the tires would likely be considered a good thing.

If Wright were coming into a situation where he'd be The Man next year and racking up really big numbers on lots of carries it could be worth staying for a top RB draft position. Hell, if he puts together a really nice combine his film is already good enough to be noticed.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I can’t help but feel that wright would be having a bigger year if he was in better shape. I see him calling for a sub after running the ball 3 times. Sheesh. He does run hard though.

It's going to be interesting to see how much NIL sways student-athletes to stick around an extra year or two if any at all.

Reactions: Ratvol
Don’t mind if he goes to the NFL… he deserves it and honestly would be perfectly ok with Sampson and Cam back there next year. Win win. Although him staying would be awesome.
Plus We get Bishop back next year when he's over his injury...Kid is electric!

Although backs are not as valued in the modern NFL game these days, I believe he’ll be off the board by day 2. He’s a good back with good size and speed.

Using 3 RBs like we do means that the kids aren't putting AS much wear and tear on their bodies at that position. Has to be a plus.

Definitely a cool thing if he could break the record, but our RB room is getting pretty crowded if we have Wright, Small, Sampson, Keith, Seldon, Bishop, Lewis, and then if we get someone like Daniel Hill.

Jabari Small has a much better chance at breaking the record imo. He needs 1016 yards with 4 games left this season.

If Small stays healthy, and has an incredible offseason, he can be ready for his super senior season. Heup has proven he will distribute carries and play multiple backs.

Wright will get drafted if he finishes this season like he is playing now.

Depends on NIL really.

With a strong finish he can be one of the first RBs drafted…hard to stay if he projects that well.

VN Store

Back