Wow, that was wild!

I found it funny, mainly because I knew you meant no harm. Sometimes laughter is a great way to cope with any sad situation.

Someone actually gets it.

Meh, I'm sure its mostly the young pious mud slinging prix that can't handle a joke.

I love Pat and what she has meant to UT as much as the next person.

Some folks need to seriously lighten the f up.

Reactions: 2 people
Someone actually gets it.

Meh, I'm sure its mostly the young pious mud slinging prix that can't handle a joke.

I love Pat and what she has meant to UT as much as the next person.

Some folks need to seriously lighten the f up.

Pretty much. I love Pat, and it really is a terrible situation, but humor is humor and its meant to lighten things up and put a lighter tone into things - not start arguments.

Let's put it this way, there is no way Tyler Summitt would find this funny. Conversely, there is no way the original poster says this in front of Summitt or her family. If he did, I venture to guess he'd be picking his teeth up out of the floor.

Bottom line, if its not appropriate to be said in her presence, its not appropriate to be said period. I can't believe some of you actually have to be convinced of this. If it were your mom, or your wife, you wouldn't find the humor in it, regardless of how you well you think you "appreciate humor".

It's not being pious or over-sensitive. It's called being courteous and respectful.

Reactions: 1 person
Watching the ND/UCONN game. The announcers mentioned something about this. They said Pat and Geno met yesterday and that Geno had to compose himself after their meeting. Apparently he was visibly upset and had to take a few moments to himself.

Let's put it this way, there is no way Tyler Summitt would find this funny. Conversely, there is no way the original poster says this in front of Summitt or her family. If he did, I venture to guess he'd be picking his teeth up out of the floor.

Bottom line, if its not appropriate to be said in her presence, its not appropriate to be said period. I can't believe some of you actually have to be convinced of this. If it were your mom, or your wife, you wouldn't find the humor in it, regardless of how you well you think you "appreciate humor".

It's not being pious or over-sensitive. It's called being courteous and respectful.

Depends on how well I knew them. Even the afflicted look for reasons to laugh. Pat's not the kind to wallow in self-pity. Humor can still be found in the darkest of places. How do you know she hasn't made similar jokes herself? Sometimes in bad situations, you either laugh or you cry. Pat has never struck me as a cryer. JMO

No, if it were my mother/wife/whatever, I'd still find the particular joke funny. Mostly because I'm not overly-sensitive.

If I have to read a book to tell me something was funny, then it clearly wasn't.

No, but if you have to have a twenty year old to explain to you how the majority of people cope with sadness then you are either twelve years old and have never lost anything or you've lived in a bubble your entire life and don't know how it works.

This is where you are wrong. Here, I'll explain why instead of doing like most posters are doing and simply bashing.

My father was diagnosed with cancer a year ago. Two months ago they confirmed it was terminal and he would be dead within six months.

The first thing he said to me was "I'm just pissed I won't get to see if those damn mayans were right or not."

He and I joke back and forth about it almost daily. Why? Because it makes it easier. Yes, pat is in a bad place. But there are people who are much worse off who are joking and laughing at their troubles because its a human reaction that transcends all races and religions.

I posted a link to a book that was simply made into a joke when I'd say the person didn't even look. To give a brief excerpt from it, a woman living the slums of brazil watches her two daughters get raped in front of her by gang members. One daughter is a virgin, one isn't. Four months later they are laughing and making jokes about it because the daughter who wasn't a virgin was screaming so loudly trying to pretend she was a virgin to trick her mother into thinking she'd never had sex. She was more scared of her mother than the gang members.

So let's see here. Jokes on someone dying? Check
Jokes on rape, included in a best selling book sold to colleges across the world? Check.
People being butt hurt over a joke on a message board? Check.

Reactions: 1 person
Pat quote from an article last December..........

Humor is another part of the approach. If someone around her forgets to do something, she quips: "I guess I'm not the only one with dementia."

The disease comes in handy from time to time.

"If there's something she didn't want to do," Warlick said. "She'll just pretend that she forgot."

Tennessee's Pat Summitt has game plan for fight with Alzheimer's - Los Angeles Times

Reactions: 2 people
In all these incidents that are being provided as "proof" that its ok to make jokes about it, the person directly stricken by disease, grief, or otherwise is the one making jokes in conjunction with those close enough to them to reciprocate as a means of coping or grieving. That is somewhat entirely different than John Doe behind a keyboard and monitor making anonymous jokes. JMO. We can agree to disagree if you feel strongly the other way.

I hope the conversation went like this;

Pat: He Geno
Geno: Hi Pat

(hug)

Pat: Geno, you've really screwed me over, but I'll forgive you if you come to Tennessee and and screw people over the same way because I'm about to retire.

Geno: Wow Pat, that sounds tempting, I have to focus on my team right now but we'll talk after I'm done in the tournament
Pat: Ok, good luck
Geno: Thanks, talk to you later

I hope the conversation went like this;

Pat: He Geno
Geno: Hi Pat

(hug)

Pat: Geno, you've really screwed me over, but I'll forgive you if you come to Tennessee and and screw people over the same way because I'm about to retire.

Geno: Wow Pat, that sounds tempting, I have to focus on my team right now but we'll talk after I'm done in the tournament
Pat: Ok, good luck
Geno: Thanks, talk to you later

Pat: Geno, you're done.

Pat quote from an article last December..........

Humor is another part of the approach. If someone around her forgets to do something, she quips: "I guess I'm not the only one with dementia."

The disease comes in handy from time to time.

"If there's something she didn't want to do," Warlick said. "She'll just pretend that she forgot."

Tennessee's Pat Summitt has game plan for fight with Alzheimer's - Los Angeles Times

That's very insensitive of her! :unsure:

Went through it with my Mom. We joked around a lot.
I understand the hypersensitivity, but people have to understand that it's all you can do. I just lost my Grandfather to it a couple of weeks ago and my Mother in Law is in the early stages. It hurts so much to watch that you've got to find something humorous in it from time to time just to keep everybody from feeling sorry for themselves. There's no point going through life being miserable on purpose.

I understand the hypersensitivity, but people have to understand that it's all you can do. I just lost my Grandfather to it a couple of weeks ago and my Mother in Law is in the early stages. It hurts so much to watch that you've got to find something humorous in it from time to time just to keep everybody from feeling sorry for themselves. There's no point going through life being miserable on purpose.

Understandable. However, again, its YOUR family. You'd feel differently, I presume, if some guy off the street walked up and made a joke about your grandfathers struggle and eventual death.

VN Store

Back