Would you want to come work for Tennessee?

Anyone who thinks a 60 hour week is a big deal has obviously never spent any time around a successful college basketball or footbal staff. If Gran thinks he had to work too hard, I'm thrilled he's gone. As Tark always said, "Never hire an assistant who owns a set of golf clubs or an RV."
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Nobody feels sorry for guys working only 60 hours a week and knocking down $250k.

Somehow, I would imagine that most coaches think that working long hours, especially during parts of the year, kind of goes with the territory. I am just shocked that Tom Rathman would possibly interview with us since we demand that our coaches work.

Anyone who thinks a 60 hour week is a big deal has obviously never spent any time around a successful college basketball or footbal staff. If Gran thinks he had to work too hard, I'm thrilled he's gone. As Tark always said, "Never hire an assistant who owns a set of golf clubs or an RV."

No good coach thinks that working too much is a big deal in big time college athletics. Once again, MHF is just showing his true and utter incompetence with all things sports related.

MHF: "I have seen this same thing happen at law firms. I do not want a change with Kiffin as head coach, Monte as DC or Orgeron as recruiting coordinator. What I do want is for everyone to be careful in understanding that law firms with partners who crap on associates end up with firms that are dysfunctional as the associates leave and take their clients with them.

Mike, my experience with law firms is that many associates work upwards of 70-80 hours per week regularly and that these are some of the larger law firms that are very successful. Now burnout will come and tha tis why some lawyers start their own practices later, but football related, you can't build a NC team with a normal staff and normal working hours. Not with what CLK was left with.

Many coaches have made deals with their wives that they basically sleep at the office during season and are to be home for maybe three nights per week. That's the deal, like it or leave the profession. Sell Insurance or shoes, not football.

No good coach thinks that working too much is a big deal in big time college athletics. Once again, MHF is just showing his true and utter incompetence with all things sports related.

I put in more than 60 hours as a High School Coach.

I put in more than 60 hours as a High School Coach.

Charlie Weis is laughing.

He broke into coaching outside of high school by still beating the pants off everyone as an HS coach because he was smarter than they were.

If someone reads twice as fast as someone else, and their job is to read and write reports and they will give you 60 hours versus 80 from the slower guy, you take the 60 every time.

70-80 hours a week was more common at law firms before they started withholding bonuses and firing. Now the best young associates only eat crap for 2-3 years, build a book and take it with them.

MHF: you do love to start "I'm concerned" threads...that's all I get out your ramblings

I've yet to understand what the hell a law firm has to do with a coaching staff.

Fact of the matter is this: Kiffin is going to bring in the best at what they do. If they can jump to higher paying gigs or go closer to home, so be it.

He broke into coaching outside of high school by still beating the pants off everyone as an HS coach because he was smarter than they were.

If someone reads twice as fast as someone else, and their job is to read and write reports and they will give you 60 hours versus 80 from the slower guy, you take the 60 every time.

70-80 hours a week was more common at law firms before they started withholding bonuses and firing. Now the best young associates only eat crap for 2-3 years, build a book and take it with them.

Great. Obviously that kind of work ethic doesn't cut it in college football. There's no fast way to recruit. Guys like Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin, and Urban Meyer are smart guys that have been great recruiters for awhile now. It's not a coincidence that they are all workaholics. That's what works. If there were a smarter, easier way to do things, these guys would have thought of it already.

All are leaving for pay increases....that sets a pretty good precedent. Work for Monte or Lane and reach your career goals. When we run out of qualified applicants I'll show some concern. Until then, onward and upward.

I completely agree. How could any defensive coach with aspirations of advancing his career not want to work for Monte?

Of course MHF would miss the mark and change the subject back to a law firm.

My point was even as a HS coach I put in more than 60 hours a week.

And I do zero recruiting.

MikeHamiltonFan's threads leave my mind more puzzled awake in bed than life's complexities.

Can we lift the "No name calling" rule for just one post......PLEASE!!!!!!

Kiffin has made no bones about wanting an NFL staff. He expects an NFL workload. Coaches who can't handle that should probably work somewhere else.

I don't care what the profession is, highly successful people don't lead "balanced lives." They don't eat dinner at home every night with the family and spend Saturday afternoons at the zoo with the kids. They're not going to church three times a week and staying for the potluck afterwards. They are working. And that is why they are successful.

Not to single you out, but the notion that the harder you work, the more sucessful you are is a TOTAL fallacy.

Last edited:
Not to single you out, but the notion that the harder you work, the more sucessful ypou are is a TOTAL fallacy.
Yeah, look how well sitting in his office watching Days of Our Lives instead of game film worked out for Wade Houston.

Not to single you out, but the notion that the harder you work, the more sucessful you are is a TOTAL fallacy.
Look how well having a "normal" work week treated Spurrier in the NFL.

Look I'm going to say this and I may get hated on, but I think most UT fans will agree with me here. Most UT fans would give anything to be in the position that these coaches are leaving. I mean I understand it's not for everyone, but I know that I would work 70-80 hours a week and not think twice about it. Yea, the pay is great, but that isn't what would drive me. It's the love for the game and the learning from legendary coaches that would make me keep doing it. I guess I have the same mind patter as CLK CMK and CEO but I can't get enough of the game and it's almost a diss to me that these coaches just leave it all behind with no regrets. I understand they are going to other schools for their families and stuff, but don't their wives understand what coaching takes? I just don't understand why coaches committ to coaching if they don't want to put in the work it takes to be successful.

Yeah, look how well sitting in his office watching Days of Our Lives instead of game film worked out for Wade Houston.

Not talking coaches, different animal. I was simply commenting on the broad generalization made by the other poster. In plenty of professions, the amount of hours worked is directly inproportionate to pay scale.

VN Store

Back