World Cup 2014 Final Draw

Netherlands got a tough draw again. Seems like we've been in a group of death in every tournament this millenium...

Hup Holland!

Not sure if serious...Holland had a cake walk in 2010

EC 2000 we had France, Czech Republic, Denmark
EC 2004 we had Germany, Czech Republic, Latvia
WC 2006 we had Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro
EC 2008 we had Italy, France, Romania
WC 2010 we had Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
EC 2012 we had Denmark, Portugal, Germany

Only real pushover was the 2004 Latvia squad. Even our African matchups had starpower in Drogba and Eto'o. 2010 probably was the easiest of those pools, but there was no true group of death that year.

We have to break the Ghana hex, get points off Portugal, and hope Germany wins their first two matches so the play reserves against us.

We have to break the Ghana hex, get points off Portugal, and hope Germany wins their first two matches so the play reserves against us.

Germany doesn't play that way. The only reason we got their second/third eleven last time was because the entire first team was playing in the champions league final. They only go pedal to the metal.

Sooooooooo....providing we get 3 points vs Ghana (which we obviously need since a tie would all but put us out) do we cheer for Portugal to get beat by Germany or root for a tie in that game?

We want Germany to win against Portugal and Ghana by as much as possible. The realistic goal will be get 4pts. and hope the others don't or win by goal differential. 5 or more points would almost certainly do the job.

We want Germany to win against Portugal and Ghana by as much as possible. The realistic goal will be get 4pts. and hope the others don't or win by goal differential. 5 or more points would almost certainly do the job.

Ja

Why would Germany rest their starters in that scenario?

Depends on how the other games in the group went. In theory, they could be sitting on 6 and the team(s) in the second position could only have 2.

You want Germany to win every game minus the US and Portugal to draw Ghana. The US won't beat Germany, I'm afraid but I have faith they can play with the other two teams. Sucks when my two favorite teams are in the same group.

What does that have to do with your question about why Germany might potentially rest starters against us in the last game?

I was saying that in reference to the one guy saying we have to reverse the curse against Ghana. If we beat Ghana, we are getting Germany's A team.

If you are doing the winning, you want as many ties in the other games as you can get. With a winner in any given game 3 points are given out. With a draw, only 2 total are.

VN Store

Back