Willie Martinez to Miami??

I already told y'all this was happening. I said yesterday that Richt was going to Miami and Martinez was going with him before the confirmation today about Richt. Just sit back and listen to your boy.

I said when Butch was hired that our staff as a whole is not at a championship level. We have a few rejects at key spots on our staff. Butch has done a great job since he took over. He inherited a joke of a roster and had to settle on his assistants. His offensive coordinator didn't even have a job when Butch hired him. For Butch to have us in the top 25 3 years later says all I need to know about that man.

Brick by brick. He uses this motto for a reason not just to hear himself talk. It is now time to take that next step. To lay the next brick. And it will require an upgrade at several positions (coaches and players). We're getting there Volnation. Just be patient.

"Listen to your boy"... seriously? Your obsession with Pruitt makes that impossible. Now, how about you listen to someone who speaks the truth on this subject:

Unless you bring in dick lebeau, you don't switch to 3-4 with this team, it will hinder the progress. It will not take them to the championship. They just need to tighten up on closing games and they will make the playoffs.

Reactions: 1 person
continuity is our best ally at present.

Martinez is a great coach and recruiter, doubt he is DC material.

Our asst coaches need to get paid, soon.

Have to disagree on Martinez. He is a really good recruiter but coaching has never been what he does best. He has never been confused for being a great DB coach. But agree DC material he isn't except maybe a mid major type school. Our secondary as a whole haven't been great cover guys,are not great tacklers,tend to take bad angles and look out of position more than they ever should. The loss of Fair hurt the secondary bad and aren't being coached up by CWM. He didn't have good secondary's at GA,AU or Oklahoma either. And at schools like UT,GA,AU and OU you will get elite players at DB and Safety.

Considering the quality and depth of the 15 defensive linemen that we have for next year, it would take 20 tons of dynamite to move me out of any of the Vols defensive coaching positions.

Last edited:
If CWM bolts, then get the best DB coach you can find. I see posters mentioning Terry Fair but has he coached at the D1 level?

Siap

@joshnewberg247: I'm told to keep an eye on Vols asstnt Willie Martinez for UM DC job. Coached at UGA & was roommates w/ Richt at UM

I would like to see Terry Fair come back to Knoxville,but I don't know if he has had enough time coaching,to be the Defensive backfield leader,but the Defensive Secondary were playing pretty damn good while he was here and I think they have fallen off since he left

How much time coaching does someone need to be deemed 'ready'? The guy played football at the highest level. He was a GA for us a couple of years working with the secondary and now he has a year working as a DB coach. I think he could handle the job. Plus he had our secondary playing a lot better than what I've seen this year. He's also a VFL who loves the program. To me it's a no brainer.

I would rather none of the coaches go, but wouldn't shed a tear over WM. As for Terry Fair, I know his pedigree as a player, not as a coach. I would be excited about it though.

The thing to remember is it seems Butch is extremely demanding. Wasn't the rumor that Jay Graham left because Butch worked him too hard? It seems Butch demands energy and work ethic that can't be "faked" for long or you get exposed. I would think that most successful coaches are just as demanding, but with the program in the shape it was in when Butch got here, they've worked extra hard. I know there have been blown leads and very disappointing games this year, but when you honestly look back at where we were 3 years ago, Butch and his staff have worked their tail off. I'm gonna say harder than any staff in the country to land the players they have. How long a staff can hold that kind of energy and effort is an interesting question.

Really? With the injury bug hitting them in fall camp, the started rocky but finished on a different level than where they began. Young guys began to step up and play with confidence. TKjr is prime example. But losing Gaulden before we started hurt bad. next year there is the possibility:rock: of moving into an elite level in the back

Only reason we remotely finished on a different level was playing bad offenses like Mizzou,Vandy,N.Texas and SCe. In 2014 the defense had 15 Int's,14 by the secondary. This year the D had 8 total Int's,7 by the secondary. That is self explanatory so no need to even discuss that any further. Passing yards a game went from 196 in '14 to 217 in '15. And it was 240 yards a game passing up until our last 3 games against NTex,Mizzou and Vandy who are 3 of the worst offenses in the country.Fact is we should have been a better secondary this year with 2 SR's and a JR who have played and started a lot since being at UT. Any fan who has watched all our games knows the secondary was missing way too many tackles,gave up way too many big plays,taking bad angles to the ball way more than they should be. At some point that has to fall on the position coach and losing a former NFL secondary player and VFL.

Yes. Pruitt has some options but aside from a head coaching offer I believe we would have a good chance to get him

Saban is going after Pruitt,at least that's the rumor in Ala. There is no reason to get rid of Jancek and bring in a guy that runs a different scheme. We saw what happened last time we tried to do that and didn't have the players to run the defense Pruitt runs. Butch isn't going to change schemes on either side of the ball. Pruitt hasn't even been linked to TN and doubt he will be. Even if Jancek was to leave I doubt Pruitt would even be a candidate because he runs the 4-3.

Last edited:
How much time coaching does someone need to be deemed 'ready'? The guy played football at the highest level. He was a GA for us a couple of years working with the secondary and now he has a year working as a DB coach. I think he could handle the job. Plus he had our secondary playing a lot better than what I've seen this year. He's also a VFL who loves the program. To me it's a no brainer.

Exactly. Would be different if he didn't play at the college or NFL level but he played at the highest levels possible. Then like you said was a GA for 2 years and now is a DB coach. Him leaving has definitely shown up in our secondary play this year. No brainer is right. I am not worried at all about him being able to be a great recruiter. I hope we make this move whether Martinez goes to Mia or not.

- Jancek aint goin anywhere anytime soon. Defense has improved and we'll be pretty stacked next year.
- Pruitt wouldn't be a good fit for us anyway.
- Can't blame Martinez for accepting the call to his alma mater. I give him a good bit of credit for our defensive successes this year, as he is our "eye in the sky" on game day.

And please...PLEASE...let's identify candidates who aren't VFLs too. Just because they played here doesn't mean they're worth two nickels as a coach or that they fit the current culture of the program. All I'm asking for is open mindedness and objectivity here (which may be asking too much on this board lol) GBO!

- Jancek aint goin anywhere anytime soon. Defense has improved and we'll be pretty stacked next year.
- Pruitt wouldn't be a good fit for us anyway.
- Can't blame Martinez for accepting the call to his alma mater. I give him a good bit of credit for our defensive successes this year, as he is our "eye in the sky" on game day.

And please...PLEASE...let's identify candidates who aren't VFLs too. Just because they played here doesn't mean they're worth two nickels as a coach or that they fit the current culture of the program. All I'm asking for is open mindedness and objectivity here (which may be asking too much on this board lol) GBO!

How many VFL's has Butch hired? I wouldn't worry.

Unless you bring in dick lebeau, you don't switch to 3-4 with this team, it will hinder the progress. It will not take them to the championship. They just need to tighten up on closing games and they will make the playoffs.

Methinks he speaks truth. :hi:

Can they take De Bord with them?
Seriously? I swear people that want debord gone just say that bc they hear someone else say it. You clearly don't form your own opinions, bc you would see he's been pretty successful this year.

Reactions: 4 people
Seriously? I swear people that want debord gone just say that bc they hear someone else say it. You clearly don't form your own opinions, bc you would see he's been pretty successful this year.

Gimme a freakin' break. He is about as vanilla as an OC could possibly be. He wasn't even in football anymore when Butch hired him

Have to disagree on Martinez. He is a really good recruiter but coaching has never been what he does best. He has never been confused for being a great DB coach. But agree DC material he isn't except maybe a mid major type school. Our secondary as a whole haven't been great cover guys,are not great tacklers,tend to take bad angles and look out of position more than they ever should. The loss of Fair hurt the secondary bad and aren't being coached up by CWM. He didn't have good secondary's at GA,AU or Oklahoma either. And at schools like UT,GA,AU and OU you will get elite players at DB and Safety.

This all day long. Plus, we can't play press/man against good teams. I would think we could find an improvement in the open market if he chooses to leave.

VN Store

Back