Williams Saw It Coming, Making It Happen

Remember when Admiral put up a million three pointers in the off season and the improvement he had? Who says Williams hasn't been doing the same this off season.

As a Vol all-sports fan, and after yet another rough go of it (so far) this fall, I am very ready to see this team get after it.

Nothing wrong in admitting his game still has holes. An improved jump shot would certainly make him a better player, but it isn't to say he's not a good player already. Some of you get so defensive at anything other than unchecked praise for these guys.

Some of you always talk negative when you couldn't even compare in talent
That type of thinking would exclude any of us from making any sort of critical remark regarding these players. You don't have to be an original Dream Teamer to be able to diagnose deficiencies in people's ability.

Reactions: walkenvol
Wish Williams would speak into existence an improved jump shot for himself!

Are you talking about his three point shot? Because he has a pretty damn good mid to short range jumper.

Are you talking about his three point shot? Because he has a pretty damn good mid to short range jumper.
I would think extending his range to the 3-pt line is what he meant. Becoming a threat on the perimeter, a la Wayne Chism, would open up the paint for him and prevent teams from sluffing off and dropping down with no respect for his jumper.

Reactions: walkenvol
I would think extending his range to the 3-pt line is what he meant. Becoming a threat on the perimeter, a la Wayne Chism, would open up the paint for him and prevent teams from sluffing off and dropping down with no respect for his jumper.

Grant Williams is already as good of a 3 point shooter as Chism was, he just don’t take as many. Barnes wants him to use his mid range/ post game and not settle for 3s, he’s said that every since Williams freshmen year.

Grant Williams is already as good of a 3 point shooter as Chism was, he just don’t take as many. Barnes wants him to use his mid range/ post game and not settle for 3s, he’s said that every since Williams freshmen year.
Well, numbers would suggest otherwise, perhaps. Chism was a career 32% 3-pt shooter. Williams is a career 26% 3-pt shooter. That's a pretty significant difference, especially given that Chism's came across 405 career attempts.

No one is asking GW to take 100 3s next year, but you saw last year that teams wouldn't even come out to guard him out there. So, they didn't perceive him as a threat from there. He needs to shoot enough and make enough to keep teams honest, and that would open things up for him on the drive.

Wow! I'm a huge fan of GW and think he's an excellent college post player but undersized as an NBA post player. A quality outside shot might give him a place in the NBA and make him a wealthy young man? Seems like a great person so I wish him the best.

That type of thinking would exclude any of us from making any sort of critical remark regarding these players. You don't have to be an original Dream Teamer to be able to diagnose deficiencies in people's ability.

It's one thing to say that a player needs to improve his game here or there, but entirely a different thing when the very first comment after an article says "Wish Williams would speak into existence an improved jump shot for himself".

The guy was being a jerk and you defend him. Thats why he got jumped on so quickly.

Reactions: Lurker
It's one thing to say that a player needs to improve his game here or there, but entirely a different thing when the very first comment after an article says "Wish Williams would speak into existence an improved jump shot for himself".

The guy was being a jerk and you defend him. Thats why he got jumped on so quickly.
No, he got jumped because defensive homers automatically equate a rather innocuous statement such as, "Wish Williams would speak into existence an improved jump shot for himself", with... "William's jump shot sucks. He'll never improve as a player without fixing that. He's overrated."

And to your second point, I'm no more defending the poster who made the comment than I am defending the idea behind the comment. An improved jump shot would make a world of difference in GW's game. Is it really relevant when that assessment is inserted (first post, third post, twelfth post)? Is it any less true? No.

I really think those offended took his comment waaaaay wrong.

No, he got jumped because defensive homers automatically equate a rather innocuous statement such as, "Wish Williams would speak into existence an improved jump shot for himself", with... "William's jump shot sucks. He'll never improve as a player without fixing that. He's overrated."

And to your second point, I'm no more defending the poster who made the comment than I am defending the idea behind the comment. An improved jump shot would make a world of difference in GW's game. Is it really relevant when that assessment is inserted (first post, third post, twelfth post)? Is it any less true? No.

I really think those offended took his comment waaaaay wrong.

While Williams does need to improve areas of his game (this is also true of every player on the team), if you can't see that the way the poster presented his opinion led to many of the responses then I can't help you. It doesn't take being a "homer" to see that.

Chris - just allow jp1 to be the self appointed moderator - he knows best and will continue to attack anyone who posts in a manner unfitting his standards. We know CRB has assembled a team of quality people who are easy to support as a fan. They're playing great team ball and are fun to watch. With good health and some individual skills improvement this off season, they have the chance to have the best vol bball season ever! Improvements most of us would like to see: GW's jump shot, Bone finishing at the rim, JB sustaining his 3 point shooting throughout the season, Fulk looking more like the preinjury, Alexander being more assertive on O, Pons and JJ having breakout seasons.

Flames fire away

Reactions: cncchris33
While Williams does need to improve areas of his game (this is also true of every player on the team), if you can't see that the way the poster presented his opinion led to many of the responses then I can't help you. It doesn't take being a "homer" to see that.
U trippin gurl

Reactions: cncchris33
Reactions: governmentmule
Fair enough. I’m not asking for your help.

Nothing wrong in admitting his game still has holes. An improved jump shot would certainly make him a better player, but it isn't to say he's not a good player already. Some of you get so defensive at anything other than unchecked praise for these guys.

I don’t think anyone said you can’t critque a player. People take issue with the way the criticism is delivered.

VN Store

Back