Williams Saw It Coming, Making It Happen

No, he got jumped because defensive homers automatically equate a rather innocuous statement such as, "Wish Williams would speak into existence an improved jump shot for himself", with... "William's jump shot sucks. He'll never improve as a player without fixing that. He's overrated."

And to your second point, I'm no more defending the poster who made the comment than I am defending the idea behind the comment. An improved jump shot would make a world of difference in GW's game. Is it really relevant when that assessment is inserted (first post, third post, twelfth post)? Is it any less true? No.

I really think those offended took his comment waaaaay wrong.

Nuance matters. You argue the dumbest stuff.

Nuance matters. You argue the dumbest stuff.
Says the one arguing about the “nuance” behind an innocuous comment. Good grief.

Did you people even read the article? The headline is literally, “Speak it into Existence?”. Walken was just playing on the words of the article to express how much an improved jumper could expand Grant’s effectiveness.

Taken directly from the article...“I believe in speaking stuff into existence,” he added.

I am with Chris....as hard as Williams played, he missed alot of shots...close ones

I am with Chris....as hard as Williams played, he missed alot of shots...close ones
I think a part of GW’s game is the idea that he knows he is undersized for the position he plays, and with that in mind, the quicker he gets his shot off in the paint, the less likely it gets blocked by taller, more athletic players. That often leads him to rushing his shot in the paint which results in some easy misses.

A quick look at FG% numbers from last season shows GW as 5th in the SEC at 47.3%. Number 5 in the conference looks great on paper, but when you factor in where the vast majority of his shots come from, it tells a slightly different story. His Eff FG% doesn’t place him in the top 10, even. It didn’t lead to a disappointing result for GW obviously, but in contrast, Admiral Schofield, who took 41% of his 396 shots from 3, was 10th in actual FG%, but actually 8th in Eff FG%. I think it just shows Williams can improve and be more efficient in his shooting in the paint, and an improved threat from outside will only allow for more space for him inside.

Reactions: StrangeVol

VN Store

Back