Will this game be an absolute sellout?

Just heard on the Sports Animal they believe regardless of what Jones said they expect to see the alt UNi sat along with a Helmet. Saying no way Jones passes up the opportunity to impress all these recruits. THOUGHTS???

I think winning the game would impress them more. Last season was one thing. This year it's time to win some games. You can only use these fringe reasons for so long. The team is coming together, that's what will ultimately get noticed.

You're one of the few Tennessean's I've heard of who actually like boiled peanuts, assuming you're a native Tennesseean.

I grew up in FL and you can't find a gas station that doesn't sell boiled peanuts. I've tried to get friends and family in TN and KY on the boiled peanut train at tailgates and in the end my immediate family and I end up putting them down by ourselves cause no one else will touch them. I didn't know what a roasted peanut in the shell was the first time I saw them. Blows my mind how folks don't like them.

There's no accounting for taste! I was stationed at Eglin and I got hooked on boiled peanuts. Paired with a cold beer, they pretty much make game day

You're one of the few Tennessean's I've heard of who actually like boiled peanuts, assuming you're a native Tennesseean.

I grew up in FL and you can't find a gas station that doesn't sell boiled peanuts. I've tried to get friends and family in TN and KY on the boiled peanut train at tailgates and in the end my immediate family and I end up putting them down by ourselves cause no one else will touch them. I didn't know what a roasted peanut in the shell was the first time I saw them. Blows my mind how folks don't like them.

I'm a fan.

For all of the ignorant flamers on here I choose to respond with facts, not ignorance or emotion.

Yes I have been going to Neyland since my first game against Vanderbilt in 1965. I went to UT as a student and held season tickets for years.

During the 60's, 70's, and most of the 80's we played some great programs and still do. During those years you could visualize a visitor section and the rest of the stadium was a brilliant Orange. That stadium was absolutely deafening and horrifying to our opponents. You could only spot a handful of visitors sitting outside of the visitor sections. Go back and look at video of the following games:
1971 Penn State
1972 Penn State
1982 Bama
1984 Bama
1885 Auburn
1979 Notre Dame

UT fans owned that stadium. We shamed Bo Jackson to the sideline, we sent Bear Bryant out a loser in a thunderous ovation. Any body remember how we were suppose to be in awe of a Notre Dame Heisman candidate named Vagas Ferguson? He should have just stayed in South Bend that day in 1979 and there was a relatively unknown UT running back wearing 32 named Hubert Simpson that scored 5 TD's that afternoon.

I witnessed most of those events from my cheap seats in section KK. And I could always count on that section being 99.9 percent UT fans as were all of the sections except for the visitor sections.

Over the last 15 years that has all changed. I now sit in the lower deck on the gray haired west side. The demographics have changed tremendously. Not in the age of fans but who they cheer for.

Against UGA last year my section was 65-35 UT/UGA. Against USC 80/20 UT/USC. Against Auburn 60/40 UT/AU. And lest I say against Bama a couple of years ago more like 50/50. At the same time UT fans were unloading tickets on Stub Hub for all the money they could. The UT fans are sitting home watching the game on the big screen and I am at the stadium sitting amongst them.

Well now it is to the point that I as a dedicated fan have too come to realize that maybe the UT fans are right and it is better to be sitting at home watching in the comfort of my own living room.

Because Neyland Stadium is not the same venue it used to be. And you can thank your fellow UT fans for that.

I appreciate your opinion. But I've been going to home games since 1967 and Neyland is not the venue it used to be me. I was awed by it then. Now, it is almost twice the size and I am awed by it now. Perhaps it is not Neyland that is not the venue that it used to be, perhaps you have changed. We all change.

After 47 years, I have changed, too. But probably more fanatic than before. I may not get up as fast but I am still as loud. Could not imagine being any place else - rain or shine, cold or hot. Love the POTSB, the jumbotron, and the enthusiasm of the big game atmosphere.

Butch and Team 118 has me fired up. Not the best team who ever wore the orange but I bet it is right there as far as "heart." I hope I lose my voice again this week like I have on many, many occasions like Florida 2004 and 1998. My ultimate dream is for a repeat of Florida 1990! But any old "W" against Florida will do! And I'm ready for "Third Down for What?" wearing orange in my orange section for CheckerNeyland. GBO!!

The 1990 Florida game we had dale carter and rolled them good. I was young then, but vaguely remember the game. Wasnt that spurriers first year as head coach with the gators?

Why would anyone pay over face value when they have a big screen at home? Neyland is not the venue it used to be.

I don't know about neyland, but I would much rather go to Thompson boling and watch my lady vols games than watch it on tv. The atmosphere is electric

partying all day at tailgate parties, admiring all the hot UT chicks all over campus, then heading to neyland---much better than watching on TV, even with bourbon and beer available.

During those years you could visualize a visitor section and the rest of the stadium was a brilliant Orange. That stadium was absolutely deafening and horrifying to our opponents. You could only spot a handful of visitors sitting outside of the visitor sections. Go back and look at video of the following games:
1971 Penn State
1972 Penn State
1982 Bama
1984 Bama
1885 Auburn
1979 Notre Dame

1971: 64,429 (38,026 under current)
1972: 70,650 (31,805 under current)
1979: 80,250 (22,205 under current)
1982, 1984, 1985: 91,249 (11,206 under current)

Most of those teams were better than what we've seen lately (with the exception of 1979 and 1982). Are you seeing why there are more visitors in the stadium nowadays? We aren't fielding championship teams right now.

Here's a fairly recent picture :

KCSP_tablet_neyland2_3493012_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

Pretty easy to spot the few visitors in an otherwise obvious sea of orange.

Only 580 left on stubhub according to their app. It was somewhere in the upper 800's yesterday. I will venture to say it will be around 350-400 left by the end if the day tomorrow.

Im flying in from Boston for this one. Win or loose, the atmosphere is going to be insane. If you think watching this game on a big screen will in anyway compare to being there... well you just don't get it.

Reactions: 1 person
No kidding.

I was pulled over for speeding with 3 other UT students decked out in orange. The Georgia State trooper came up to the car:

*seeing all the orange and informing us that we were speeding*
"Where you boys going?"
"Knoxville"
"Where you boys comin' from?"
"Gainesville, the UT/UF game."
*laughs*
"Y'all boys done suffered e'nuff. Have a good day"

Please say this is true. I want to able to tell it to some friends of mine. :)

For all of the ignorant flamers on here I choose to respond with facts, not ignorance or emotion.

Yes I have been going to Neyland since my first game against Vanderbilt in 1965. I went to UT as a student and held season tickets for years.

During the 60's, 70's, and most of the 80's we played some great programs and still do. During those years you could visualize a visitor section and the rest of the stadium was a brilliant Orange. That stadium was absolutely deafening and horrifying to our opponents. You could only spot a handful of visitors sitting outside of the visitor sections. Go back and look at video of the following games:
1971 Penn State
1972 Penn State
1982 Bama
1984 Bama
1885 Auburn
1979 Notre Dame

UT fans owned that stadium. We shamed Bo Jackson to the sideline, we sent Bear Bryant out a loser in a thunderous ovation. Any body remember how we were suppose to be in awe of a Notre Dame Heisman candidate named Vagas Ferguson? He should have just stayed in South Bend that day in 1979 and there was a relatively unknown UT running back wearing 32 named Hubert Simpson that scored 5 TD's that afternoon.

I witnessed most of those events from my cheap seats in section KK. And I could always count on that section being 99.9 percent UT fans as were all of the sections except for the visitor sections.

Over the last 15 years that has all changed. I now sit in the lower deck on the gray haired west side. The demographics have changed tremendously. Not in the age of fans but who they cheer for.

Against UGA last year my section was 65-35 UT/UGA. Against USC 80/20 UT/USC. Against Auburn 60/40 UT/AU. And lest I say against Bama a couple of years ago more like 50/50. At the same time UT fans were unloading tickets on Stub Hub for all the money they could. The UT fans are sitting home watching the game on the big screen and I am at the stadium sitting amongst them.

Well now it is to the point that I as a dedicated fan have too come to realize that maybe the UT fans are right and it is better to be sitting at home watching in the comfort of my own living room.

Because Neyland Stadium is not the same venue it used to be. And you can thank your fellow UT fans for that.

No, you can thank Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton for that.

VN Store

Back