Will there be any new Assistants?

I believe in my personal opinion that changes will be made in the next two weeks, I think it's crucial to make changes before NSD. I think making changes sooner rather than later only help us in recruiting where delaying will only hurt us. Just like last year the changes were made within two weeks after the bowl game adding Shoop and Scott. They helped us close out recruiting.

I think the new additions could help us finish strong in recruiting if the right additions are made.

Coaches that need to go: Martinez, Thigpen ( linebackers besides JRM and Kirkland are bad ), Azzani, and Mahoney.

Coaches that need to go: Martinez, Thigpen ( linebackers besides JRM and Kirkland are bad ), Azzani, and Mahoney.

I agree with Martinez, Thigpen, and Mahoney. The only problem with getting rid of Thig is his ability to recruit. I don't mind Azzani getting another year with a QB who can actually throw accurate passes to his receivers. I started off the season high on Stripling, but given the lack of depth on the DL, I'm seriously second guessing that. We had players that should have been able to step in and play, but they didn't, for one reason or another. I'm almost in favor of dumping all the defensive asst. coaches and letting Shoop bring in people he can work with.

I agree with Martinez, Thigpen, and Mahoney. The only problem with getting rid of Thig is his ability to recruit. I don't mind Azzani getting another year with a QB who can actually throw accurate passes to his receivers. I started off the season high on Stripling, but given the lack of depth on the DL, I'm seriously second guessing that. We had players that should have been able to step in and play, but they didn't, for one reason or another. I'm almost in favor of dumping all the defensive asst. coaches and letting Shoop bring in people he can work with.

We can do better than Azzani. We can also find coaches who can recruit and coach at the same time. I think Stripling is retiring. I wouldn't be against firing the defensive staff. It wouldn't implode our recruiting class.

We can do better than Azzani. We can also find coaches who can recruit and coach at the same time. I think Stripling is retiring. I wouldn't be against firing the defensive staff. It wouldn't implode our recruiting class.

Who do you have in mind? Remember, we don't pay top dollar, so attracting someone better could be difficult. Especially if we focus on replacing the defensive assts.

Who do you have in mind? Remember, we don't pay top dollar, so attracting someone better could be difficult. Especially if we focus on replacing the defensive assts.

Who did we have before Azzani? I would take the guy from Cal, Galloway from West Virginia, and others from schools with better passing games. We made 40-50 million dollars in profit. We should be able to lure anyone.

People say Thig is a great recruiter but it has not showed up on the field at the LB position, so he either missed on his evaluations or cannot coach them to their potential. I mean really a walk-on battling 4* recruits to be a starter. How can a person praise Thig's recruiting ability only for those recruits to sit on the sideline behind a walk-on? BTW what happened to Colton's stats down the stretch?

The myth about Thigpen's great recruiting ability does not have much traction IMO. Get someone that will make DKjr a first rounder.

The current deals for defensive backs coach Willie Martinez and offensive line coach Don Mahoney expire at the end of February, as does the contract for defensive line coach Steve Stripling, who could move into an off-field role.
Tennessee is expected to move quickly on a strength and conditioning coach, with the players set to begin winter workouts soon, and Rock Gullickson of the NFL's Los Angeles Rams remains the favorite there.

For UT, focus turns to Team 121 - Sports - The Daily Herald - Columbia, TN

VN Store

Back