Will an American President Ever Apologize for the Atomic Bombings of Japan?

Was Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb right?

• Total voters
We shouldn't apologize for the nukes. Japan chose the wrong side. Thats a them problem.

If your mother was a refugee who was raped endlessly by whoever invaded her country, would you tell her it was her problem for choosing the wrong side?

Reactions: 2 people
My point is that governments aren't held accountable for their actions. You're proving my point because obviously Obama is not responsible.

Obama is not responsible for dropping the nukes.

This is like the second time in a week I've had to actually defend Obama. You guys are getting bizarre.

Obama is not responsible for dropping the nukes.

This is like the second time in a week I've had to actually defend Obama. You guys are getting bizarre.

How are you defending Obama? Wtf are you even talking about at this point?

How are you defending Obama? Wtf are you even talking about at this point?

How more f'n clear do I have to be? Obama is not responsible for ordering the nukes on Japan.

Instead of just crying about no accountability, what would you like to see done to Obama for the nukes? Indian reservations? Slavery? How would you like to see Obama punished for slavery?

If your mother was a refugee who was raped endlessly by whoever invaded her country, would you tell her it was her problem for choosing the wrong side?

I would expect the attacking country to say that to me. Your example or any attempt at targeting my personal emotion is inconsequential to the issue at hand. My country fought on my behalf. Killed sons, fathers, possibly mothers and daughters. All is fair.

Also, quit acting like the Japanese simply beat us in checkers. You dont go to war to play patty cakes. People die in war. It sucks but its a part of it.

Nothing about raping civilians is strategic, unless it is merely for the purposes of genocide (rape by genocide practices, like what occurred in the 1990s Balkans). Nothing about raping civilians saves lives either.

If the decision to drop the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were made in good faith to A) save lives (Japanese included) and/or set the stage for a post-war Japan that was much more congenial to both the Americans and the Japanese, then one cannot condemn the US for a "war crime," despite what contemporary legislation on the matter may look like and despite current definitions.

We should always act in good faith when civilian deaths are involved in warfare, but this is where, for me at least, the nation is ultimately above international law, despite any illusions otherwise.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah. It's on us. I'm waiting for your citizen's arrest of Hillary.

I'm waiting for you to grow up and quit blaming others. Let me break it to you, in a Democratic Republic it is the voters fault when they fail to reign in the government. Yours, mine and the millions of others who have came before.

Does Obama read this forum? He has decided to become the first sitting president to visit Hiroshima. Wonder what will spill out of his mouth?

Obama is going to Hiroshima to talk about a world without nuclear weapons. Meanwhile the Russians are about to add what NATO has dubbed The Satan 2 ICBM capable of destroying not Dallas or Houston, but the entire state of Texas. The ICBM has stealth features making it nearly impossible to shoot down. Sounds like fun.

Last edited:
White House presser said he wouldn't. I'll believe when I see it.

How can the act itself be seen otherwise? Imagine the Japanese PM visiting Pearl Harbor. He can either a) apologize b) gloat c) remark it was different times or something and it was unfortunate what happened. Like DKR said about the forward pass, there's three possibilities and two are bad. If he goes there he's obviously not going to celebrate what happened. If he says it was tragic or devastating or proof that nuclear weapons are bad that is a pseudo apology. If he apologizes outright that's obviously an apology. So two of the three are saying sorry.

How can the act itself be seen otherwise? Imagine the Japanese PM visiting Pearl Harbor. He can either a) apologize b) gloat c) remark it was different times or something and it was unfortunate what happened. Like DKR said about the forward pass, there's three possibilities and two are bad. If he goes there he's obviously not going to celebrate what happened. If he says it was tragic or devastating or proof that nuclear weapons are bad that is a pseudo apology. If he apologizes outright that's obviously an apology. So two of the three are saying sorry.

I'll go with B. He needs to show respect to the Japanese Prime Minister by bowing, then give him a fist bump and explode it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 37
I'll go with B. He needs to show respect to the Japanese Prime Minister by bowing, then give him a fist bump and explode it.

Maybe Obama can write HIRO and NAGA on his knuckles and ask the PM to write SHIMA and SAKI on his? Fist bump explosion would then work on several levels.

VN Store

Back