Will an American President Ever Apologize for the Atomic Bombings of Japan?

Was Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb right?

• Total voters
Right. Because appologizing for intentionally slaughtering countless civilians, would be a terrible thing.

Indeed.

Were you one of the seven who responded "No, under no circumstances" was the decision right? I asked earlier for some clarification from anyone who responded as such, but never got any. I don't want to argue about it; I just want to understand what the rationale behind it is.

That's the problem with government, there's no accountability. Every four years we just wash our hands of any guilt. That's why we nearly everything should be privatized

Speaking of both war and privatization, Iraq '03 is one giant case study in what happens once warfare (including the decision to war in the first place) becomes nearly completely privatized. Even the decision to go to war there was largely influenced by idiosyncratic business aims.

I'm not sure if that's quite the correct route to go...

"I'm sorry we didn't develop that thing before 1945. We could have nuked those Nazi sum*****es at the same time..."

Dude come on, you know we wouldn't have nuked white people.

Dude come on, you know we wouldn't have nuked white people.

True...

Maybe if we told the pilots all the Germans in Berlin were using the opposite sex bathroom instead. I wonder if that would have made a difference?

Do any of you really think that the government is held accountable at all?

Do any of you really think that the government is held accountable at all?

Do you really think if Japan or Germany had an atomic bomb in say 1941 they wouldn't have hesitated to have used it? Including on American cities if they got the chance?

Or apologized for it 70 years later?

I don't see how some of you can't understand how different warfare was back then. This wasn't a war with limited political gains or giving up territory after we took it. It was all out win or lose with new tactics and weaponry not ever seen before. And the atomic bomb was just another weapon in a long list of new weapons that was used.

But we pretty much learned from our error and haven't done it since. Nobody has used nuclear weapons since that time just like (most) nations haven't used chemical weapons since WWI. Iraq and Iran notwithstanding of course. But big picture is nobody wants to be the next nation to strike first with nuclear weapons. And that's something we all sound be thankful for.

You clearly don't know what your point is....

Yes or no? Maybe not wars crimes. Is he responsible for the nukes?

My point is that governments aren't held accountable for their actions. You're proving my point because obviously Obama is not responsible.

VN Store

Back