Wild Wild Country (Netflix) Debate Thread

I thought this documentary was about 3 parts to long and ultimately seemed like a puff piece for the larger religion that still goes on today and the attorney’s book that is about to come out.

They definitely didn't paint the cult as negatively as they could have. Almost seemed like they tried to make it like Sheela and Shanti were evil and the Bhagwan was harmless.

The lawyer is still under the spell. Complete wimp btw.

They definitely didn't paint the cult as negatively as they could have. Almost seemed like they tried to make it like Sheela and Shanti were evil and the Bhagwan was harmless.

The lawyer is still under the spell. Complete wimp btw.

Call me a sucker but I believe they started this thing under well-meaning purposes. However, it just shows how absolute power (and a ton of money) corrupts absolutely.

Call me a sucker but I believe they started this thing under well-meaning purposes. However, it just shows how absolute power (and a ton of money) corrupts absolutely.

Nah man. They were evil before they got here. Just came in with big hopes of showing the world how awesome their way of life was and everyone else was stupid.

Reality was they were a sex cult having sex in the streets like animals and went on to poison hundreds and attempted murder multiple times. I’m sure there was murder as well. And the likely truth is that all this was true before they got here. Pure evil.

In the words of Dennis Green: “they were who we thought they were.”

Nah man. They were evil before they got here. Just came in with big hopes of showing the world how awesome their way of life was and everyone else was stupid.

Reality was they were a sex cult having sex in the streets like animals and went on to poison hundreds and attempted murder multiple times. I’m sure there was murder as well. And the likely truth is that all this was true before they got here. Pure evil.

You know about the account of one of the local ranchers who said they picked up a young guy outside of Antelope and gave him a ride? He said the young guy told him he had been raped repeatedly every day by that bunch of freaks on the ranch, and just wanted to get as far away as possible.

Reactions: 1 person

I mean before the move to America. At the ground level, it just seemed like a weird religion, but not one that meant harm.

But anyway, the most interesting person in the whole story to me is Sheila. The way she was recruited as a child to work for this guy is wild. She was indoctrinated very early on and you almost have to feel bad for her from that perspective. She did some very bad things - don’t get me wrong - but people for centuries have done terrible things for who or what they believe is their God.
And now she runs an Alzheimer’s nursing home!?

Wait so 7,000 people and 0 confirmed murders? If a city of 100 Christians had a murder, would you be calling them a "murderous" cult? When you called them a murderous sex cult, I was expecting it to be a part of the religion (like helter skelter) or something, but it was just a small group of them, right?

I finished episode 4...have they proven they poisoned people?

Wait so 7,000 people and 0 confirmed murders? If a city of 100 Christians had a murder, would you be calling them a "murderous" cult? When you called them a murderous sex cult, I was expecting it to be a part of the religion (like helter skelter) or something, but it was just a small group of them, right?

I finished episode 4...have they proven they poisoned people?

Huff - finish the show.

Watching you defend these lunatics is not as amusing as it was a few days ago. Yes - they poisoned people. They had labs where they grew salmonella and then rigged up a system to be able to spray it on salad bars out of their sleeves.

These people were loons.

Huff - finish the show.

Watching you defend these lunatics is not as amusing as it was a few days ago. Yes - they poisoned people. They had labs where they grew salmonella and then rigged up a system to be able to spray it on salad bars out of their sleeves.

These people were loons.

You called them murderous and now there is no actual murder. If I finish the show, will there be a murder or no?

If they gave people salmonella, that's bad enough. You don't have to call them murderous to embellish. So who was in on the salmonella poisoning? Am I going to find out it's the entire cult or a few crazies?

You called them murderous and now there is no actual murder. If I finish the show, will there be a murder or no?

If they gave people salmonella, that's bad enough. You don't have to call them murderous to embellish. So who was in on the salmonella poisoning? Am I going to find out it's the entire cult or a few crazies?

The leaders of the cult.

Multiple attempted murders and assassination plots.

The whole cult is filled with crazies. That's what these people are. There's not a "few crazies" in a cult.

The Bhagwan ends up committing suicide with the help of one of his followers.

Last edited:
The leaders of the cult.

Multiple attempted murders and assassination plots.

The whole cult is filled with crazies. That's what these people are. There's not a "few crazies" in a cult.

The Bhagwan ends up committing suicide with the help of one of his followers.

That's a long, indirect way of saying "yeah, it was just a few people behind the salmonella poisoning."

They also put something in the beer to mellow out the homeless people they brought up there. Just crazy stuff.

The bringing in the homeless people then dumping them out on the rest of the state of Oregon set me off for some reason. They fed them these stories of caring and support then tossed them out when they couldn't help them win elections.

huff, it's really hard for me to separate the herd from the leadership. I'm sure some didn't know about the stuff that was going on, but they also had to know some of it but chose not to question things. After Sheila (sp?) left, it was all of this "yeah, we knew she was messed up."

The bringing in the homeless people then dumping them out on the rest of the state of Oregon set me off for some reason. They fed them these stories of caring and support then tossed them out when they couldn't help them win elections.

huff, it's really hard for me to separate the herd from the leadership. I'm sure some didn't know about the stuff that was going on, but they also had to know some of it but chose not to question things. After Sheila (sp?) left, it was all of this "yeah, we knew she was messed up."

The homeless thing is terrible.

Bagwan breaking his 3.5-year silence to narc on Sheila exposes him for what he is, a fraud. There is no way he didn't know she was doing bad things, he just flipped on her when he found out about the doctor poisoning and the wiretapping. That's what he broke his silence to do? Rat out an enemy? How spiritually enlightening.

I find it hard to believe that it was clear to most members of the fold that Sheila was iniquitous. It's something that probably gradually dawned on them. I worked for 2 companies where the owners turned out to be frauds. Two completely different types of frauds (one of them didn't actually realize he was a fraud), but nevertheless, they got a lot of people to believe in them, and you see little hints here and there that something is odd, but when there is a ton of group think, it's easy to brush those things off.

I mean before the move to America. At the ground level, it just seemed like a weird religion, but not one that meant harm.

But anyway, the most interesting person in the whole story to me is Sheila. The way she was recruited as a child to work for this guy is wild. She was indoctrinated very early on and you almost have to feel bad for her from that perspective. She did some very bad things - don’t get me wrong - but people for centuries have done terrible things for who or what they believe is their God.
And now she runs an Alzheimer’s nursing home!?

I didn’t catch that. She’s probably smothering people daily.

I’m rewatching this.

The whole doc is about 60% from the point of view of this ***** lawyer.

Last edited:
Not reading the posts above as I am working my way through it but holy hell these first episodes are unbelievably drawn out. I know I'm going to have to listen to nutters but them going on and on is making it hard to pay attention.

Not reading the posts above as I am working my way through it but holy hell these first episodes are unbelievably drawn out. I know I'm going to have to listen to nutters but them going on and on is making it hard to pay attention.

It’s a very interesting subject but the documentary is not made well at all.

VN Store

Back