Wilcox staying in Knoxville

Surprised, but glad to hear this. I'd like to see the improvement with the defense next year as we get more players and the palyers are in the same system two years in a row.

I guess all Dooley's comments weren't coach speak after all. I forgive all who called me crazy for believing it. Happy New Year!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm glad he's staying. The jury is still out as to whether he's the real deal, but this will help with stability and recruiting. It also says A LOT about Wilcox and his commitment to UT --- he would have been paid a lot more at Texas and he decided to pull his name. Bravo. Now let's move on and see what this team can do next year. GBO!

Larry, you probably know Condredge. Do you know if he's seen the ESPN special about his life that airs in a couple of months yet?

Should be a good one, imo. Class act!

I'm not sure. Haven't talked to him since spring

I happy about this we get DT's back next season,but also second year in the scheme's with Oline, Dline, and everything else we haven't had in a while,building a coesive unit players and coaches hopefully

More like Texas decided to pursue someone else after last nights...... whatever that defense last night could be called.

You realize that in the second half we only allowed three points, right? And that came after a 48 yard gain on two very questionable calls.

Obviously he wasn't offered at Texas. This just means that Wilcox will be gone soon so don't expect him to stay long term. $$$ talks.

Amazing analysis. So poignant and insightful. I mean, how do you do it?

LoL...one of those who just "knew" he was gone to Texas cause his "sources" told him and now that its obvious he was wrong he is gonna hate on Wilcox and start predicting him leaving after next year to take the DC job at Carson Newman because $$$ talks and they are gonna give him a $10 raise per paycheck lmfao

Glad he is staying. Our defense looked good the last five games and UNC was a legitimate offense. I believe it will continue to get better as they adapt to his system. GBO

Why? What good would it do for the program?

I know, starting a new system again would just be lovely

If he's not the right guy, then he's not the right guy. The sooner he gets out of town the better. I think the same of Dooley. The issue is that no one can really tell that much from this year, so I wouldn't do anything as of right now... but due more to the unknown rather than it "ruining continuity."

How about how good does this make the defensive players feel? That their coach decided to stay with them rather than taking a move for possibly more money. Man, that's great. Glad to see this after everything that has gone on the past couple years!

It's true that our defense wasn't the greatest this season and much of that may have to do with depth and experience in the system. Whether or not Justin Wilcox will be a bust is still yet to be determined. But in a time where Tennessee Football is at it's most fragile, and at a time when you feel like our program isn't good enough for many people to be a part of(example: Lane Kiffin) it's nice that someone chose us over everyone else in the country, regardless if he was offered the job at Texas or not.

Last edited:
It's true that our defense wasn't the greatest this season and much of that may have to do with depth and experience in the system. Whether or not Justin Wilcox will be a bust is still yet to be determined. But in a time where Tennessee Football is at it's most fragile, and at a time when you feel like our program isn't good enough for many people (example: Lane Kiffin) it's nice that someone chose us over everyone else in the country, regardless if he was offered the job at Texas or not.

+1000.

I dont understand how people wish he would have taken the Texas job. I know its their opinion but it just blows my mind..it wouldn't do anything good for the program and we definitely dont need a coaching change right now. I think he'll be a great defensive coordinator once he gets the type of players he needs and all the right pieces in place..we had no depth at all and he only had a handful of players with previous solid SEC experience to work with this year. Next year will be better and hopefully this coaching staff will stick together for a few more years and take Tennessee back to the top.

time being meaning others will continue to come after him. at some point someone will take him..

One might reasonably suspect it means Texas was unlikely, so he pulled his name out before any denial took place, but he'd still like to jump to a hotter spot if the opportunity beckoned.

VN Store

Back