Why Orange?

At Freshman Orientation a few weeks ago, they told the story of orange and white being selected as the school colors. The way they told it, "Charles Moore selected the colors from the daisies that grew on the Hill.

HOWEVER...Charles Moore was colorblind. The flowers were yellow and white."

I mean this in the nicest way possible...thank God! I don't look too good in yellow.

I always heard the colors were from General Neyland's orange and white checkered underwear.

I can't tell where the statement of fact ends and the question begins so . . . the part about orange on the Irish flag is true. (Like I said, you may have already been certain of that.) but I've never heard it linked to UT. Always heard the flowers on the hill.

I tried the Irish orange story on fenianvol once and was strongly rebuked. Don't know if he's still around?

Yeah I remember :p No the flag thing is complete rubbish, its the the flowers on the hill. Im back in Ireland for a while but going to be in K Town in a few weeks, hope its not too hot.

Have ESPN America here in Europe so between that and live online um know you whats I havent missed much of Volunteer football fortunately or unfortunately maybe.

Looking forward to a better season this year. Go Vols!!

Orange representing protestants comes from the Duke of Orange who was Dutch. He led an army to fight at the battle of the boyne in Ireland which is why the Irish adopted the orange color on the flag. Not sure about why this relates to ut though.

Orange representing protestants comes from the Duke of Orange who was Dutch. He led an army to fight at the battle of the boyne in Ireland which is why the Irish adopted the orange color on the flag. Not sure about why this relates to ut though.

The Irish try to take credit for everything: the railroads, whiskey, potatoes, quick tempers, alcoholism, red hair, fair skin, the color orange, what's next?

I kid, of course. I am, supposedly, of Irish descent. All i can attest to is the quick temper and a love of Tennessee sippin whiskey.

Last edited:
Can you imagine the crap the bammer-jammers would give us if we had yellow jerseys?

Or ESPN, for that matter...

Our unis at UF last year looked pretty yellow. Not sure what was up with the "orange" last year.

If the Orange and White came from flowers on the hill where did the Black and Orange come from? </sarcasm>

Reactions: 1 person
ORANGE: was chosen as UT's colors because all the many hues (no two match in fan attire) drives the opposition crazy...from the very light orange of the 50s to the darker "Battle hat" era to today's BIG orange. Lovin' it!!! GBO

The first time I actually heard that orange was chosen because of the American daisy on the hill was on the EA sports college football game. Was this common knowledge before that?

It's from the flowers on the hill.. We've gone over this a few times here.

It's because and only because of the flowers. The color of the Tennessee dispels the religon notion.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So I've heard a story, and I'm trying to find out if it's true or not. My online research only yielded a story about orange being selected because of the hue of the flowers on the hill.

The story I would like to confirm/disprove has to do with the Irish. The Irish flag has green and orange, with the green representing catholics, and the orange representing protestants. The orange was favored by the protestant contingency in TN, thus the school colors. Anybody else heard that?

"The school colors of orange and white date to April 12, 1889, when Charles Moore, president of UT Knoxville's athletic association, chose the colors for the first field day. His inspiration came from the orange and white daisies that grew profusely on the Hill. Students endorsed the colors in 1892."

The University of Tennessee: Tennessee Traditions

Last edited:

VN Store

Back