Why not Peyton on the Jumbotron?

Don't get me wrong, I love Wilson & Witten (and obviously Neyland), but why do you think they did not put Peyton on the Jumbotron? Do you think they asked him and he declined? Any other reason for not putting him up there? Your thoughts?

Asking us what we think is a waste of time. Go Ask Phil. I believe he made the decision. He gets paid to answer you silly questions; We don't.

I think the fact that they're both from TN makes a lot of sense as to why they were chosen.

I also wondered why Peyton wasn't put up there. Or Berry, who's the best player we've had since Peyton. I think the argument for not putting PM up there could be that he is so well known anyone who knows anything about football knows he attended UT. So why not put Witten up there, who is a HOF TE, but maybe not everyone knows he went to UT. And put Al Wilson up there to show that we have a rich history of excellent players outside of Peyton Manning and Eric Berry.

Reactions: 1 person
The way some of you are acting, you'd think these images are chiseled in granite and bolted onto the side of the stadium. The pictures will be changed out eventually. They're not permanent editions to the stadium and hopefully with players that don't pre-date the internet age. I'd like to think we have more to be proud of.

Regarding Peyton, for a guy who won one SEC title in his four years here and zero National Championships, I think he's been exalted enough, don't you? He's had his number retired, he has a street named after him, and a locker room named after him. What's next, petition Pope Francis to have him sainted? We need to move on people. Peyton was great, yes. He won a lot of games here. But we need to get past that era. We're getting almost as bad as Bammers who couldn't get past Bear Bryant.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love Wilson & Witten (and obviously Neyland), but why do you think they did not put Peyton on the Jumbotron? Do you think they asked him and he declined? Any other reason for not putting him up there? Your thoughts?

His brand is iconic

Really the only option that makes sense and will please everyone is to digitize that side of the board. Then you can change it up depending on the opponent of the week. Or we can put three assorted bowls of Petros up there.

it should be changed every week...all the way back from the first team to whomever played lights out the game before...now, spread all the love all around...from then till now...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

I think they should take submissions from VN for pics to put on the scoreboard. I think that would go really well.

Haslam Buddy.....

Was about to mention this. Peyton was on Haslam's side during the Schiano/Currie debacle. Don't think Fulmer's going to forget that one anytime soon.

Also overkill as someone already mentioned. Everyone knows Peyton went to UT and he already has plenty of recognition.

The way some of you are acting, you'd think these images are chiseled in granite and bolted onto the side of the stadium. The pictures will be changed out eventually. They're not permanent editions to the stadium and hopefully with players that don't pre-date the internet age. I'd like to think we have more to be proud of.

Regarding Peyton, for a guy who won one SEC title in his four years here and zero National Championships, I think he's been exalted enough, don't you? He's had his number retired, he has a street named after him, and a locker room named after him. What's next, petition Pope Francis to have him sainted? We need to move on people. Peyton was great, yes. He won a lot of games here. But we need to get past that era. We're getting almost as bad as Bammers who couldn't get past Bear Bryant.

Hey, great idea. I will give Francis a call tomorrow.

I think the fact that they're both from TN makes a lot of sense as to why they were chosen.

I also wondered why Peyton wasn't put up there. Or Berry, who's the best player we've had since Peyton. I think the argument for not putting PM up there could be that he is so well known anyone who knows anything about football knows he attended UT. So why not put Witten up there, who is a HOF TE, but maybe not everyone knows he went to UT. And put Al Wilson up there to show that we have a rich history of excellent players outside of Peyton Manning and Eric Berry.

Sounds crazy to Vol fans. But, I had seats in the Oregon section during the lightening bowl. They were playing one of those Vol hype videos on the Jumbotron, with clips of past great players. When Jason Witten caught a TD pass and Kessling made the call, several of the guys behind us were like "dang, I didn't know he played here etc". Hard to believe, but people really don't know outside Manning probably.

VN Store

Back