Why no NFL draft buzz for Brian Randolph?

He has undrafted free agent written all over him as do most of Tennessee's seniors. There should be quite a few picked up right after the last pick Saturday.

That's what I think too. He goes undrafted & gets picked up as an UDFA by some team. If he does get drafted it will be 6th-7th round but I don't think so.

Not really. Safety is a very instictual position. Its why a kid like Todd Kelly Jr. is always around the football even without great athleticism.

Randolph is simply not good enough. Just because he played alot of games at UT while we were a doormat means nothing.

I expect our safety play to be 10x better this year that he and McNeil are gone. Nice kids but not elite players. Gaulden and TK are huge upgrades.

Please explain why you think TKjr doesn't have great athleticism?! I've seen a number of interceptions, pass break ups and tackles where he was plenty athletic.

Reactions: 8 people
Please explain why you think TKjr doesn't have great athleticism?! I've seen a number of interceptions, pass break ups and tackles where he was plenty athletic.

It's the love handles - in case you missed D4H's opinion of what an SEC safety's body should look like. Apparently, if you don't look the part (with imaginary love handles), you can't play the part. And stats mean nothing; watching a lot of film means everything.

Reactions: 1 person
Also, as far as being out of position, it's extremely difficult to tell while watching film if secondary players in a zone scheme are out of position or not. I was just listening to some nfl types talk about that on the nfl network this morning. We have no way of knowing what or where his responsibility was on any given play or who got missed an assignment that he was trying to manage, or if he in fact was out of position.
I agree with you. It would be easy to watch film of any team and see there are times when safties may look out of posotion. Someone earlier mentioned a couple of times during the Florida game that he looked out of position.

Also, as far as being out of position, it's extremely difficult to tell while watching film if secondary players in a zone scheme are out of position or not. I was just listening to some nfl types talk about that on the nfl network this morning. We have no way of knowing what or where his responsibility was on any given play or who got missed an assignment that he was trying to manage, or if he in fact was out of position.

Sometimes, the "sins" of the coaches or teammates are visited on a player. Many of the times Brian seemed way out of position would have been a moot point had the CB or nickleback done a better job on their coverage.

Be that as it may, if enough scouts feel he was out of position on those plays, it will cause them to look away from him and toward other candidates.

Only Oakland and Atlanta used the 1st round on safeties, and there are plenty of highly rated players left on the board. But I am starting to question how they are rating these guys. Plenty of good performing players are not even listed, while some not so good ones are. Really boggles the mind.

Reactions: 2 people

Those interceptions are mostly because he has Ed Reed type instincts. I wouldn't say it's because he has great speed or athleticism. Its more about him knowing where to be.

I like TK a lot. I even argued last year before the season that he should start over McNeil or Randolph. I think he has a chance to be a really good pro. And with a stellar junior year, he could go in the 2nd round pick.

But he doesn't leap off the screen to be as an elite athlete. A guy like Jamal Adams at LSU is what I think of when I think elite athlete playing safety. Another is Ronnie Harrison at Alabama. Watch those guys play. TK doesn't move like them. They have what I'd call great athleticism.

Last edited:
Sometimes, the "sins" of the coaches or teammates are visited on a player. Many of the times Brian seemed way out of position would have been a moot point had the CB or nickleback done a better job on their coverage.

Be that as it may, if enough scouts feel he was out of position on those plays, it will cause them to look away from him and toward other candidates.

Only Oakland and Atlanta used the 1st round on safeties, and there are plenty of highly rated players left on the board. But I am starting to question how they are rating these guys. Plenty of good performing players are not even listed, while some not so good ones are. Really boggles the mind.
Boggles the mind, 1st 20 picks, 25% go to Buckeyes, Bama puts 1 in the first 20, their center, their Heisman RB Henry watches a Buckeye RB go much higher than him and he couldn't get drafted in the 1st twenty picks?!? Saban is either turning 5 stars into 2nd and later rounders and winning with blue smoke and mirrors or the NFL doesn't know how to evaluate talent.

He is just not that good. Too many times he was out of position.

And name the college DB's who weren't occasionally "out of position"? If you watched the draft last night, they were pointing out the coverage flaws in the first round DB's. They're not pro level skilled while in college. :loco:

And name the college DB's who weren't occasionally "out of position"? If you watched the draft last night, they were pointing out the coverage flaws in the first round DB's. They're not pro level skilled while in college. :loco:

^This! Randolph is the guy I hated to see leave most this year! :cray:

Randolph had 70 tackles last season and 2 pics, hope ALL our DB's are that "OUT OF POSITION" this season!! :rock:

Last edited:
There's no way. He seems to have so much knowledge compared to the rest of us that it's the only reason I can guess he's not playing ball himself.

Well, our head coach played in the band and he's a pretty good evaluator of talent. Not sure you have to play a position, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Not really. Safety is a very instictual position. Its why a kid like Todd Kelly Jr. is always around the football even without great athleticism.

Randolph is simply not good enough. Just because he played alot of games at UT while we were a doormat means nothing.

I expect our safety play to be 10x better this year that he and McNeil are gone. Nice kids but not elite players. Gaulden and TK are huge upgrades.

Lol. A bright, very athletic player like Randolph can't be taught scheme, where to line up, where to shade, what to anticipate, how to recognize tendencies.....and then use his burst, his 4.4 speed to get/be there by an NFL staff? Instincts are certainly important and a great intangible to possess, but a lack them, if that's the case with Randolph, can certainly be dealt with and "overcome"....especially when he's as athletically and intellectually gifted as Brian is.

Those interceptions are mostly because he has Ed Reed type instincts. I wouldn't say it's because he has great speed or athleticism. Its more about him knowing where to be.

I like TK a lot. I even argued last year before the season that he should start over McNeil or Randolph. I think he has a chance to be a really good pro. And with a stellar junior year, he could go in the 2nd round pick.

But he doesn't leap off the screen to be as an elite athlete. A guy like Jamal Adams at LSU is what I think of when I think elite athlete playing safety. Another is Ronnie Harrison at Alabama. Watch those guys play. TK doesn't move like them. They have what I'd call great athleticism.

While I will continue to disagree with you, instincts play a HUGE part in the safety position. I believe Todd Kelly Jr. is plenty athletic, combine that with great instincts, translates into a highly rated safety coming out of college. He'll be drafted in the first 2-3 rounds if his play keeps improving, which I am certain it will with more playing time.

Why no NFL draft buzz for Brian Randolph?

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

And this is in memory of my next door neighbor Buzz Balmer who passed away yesterday. RIP my friend

The NFL draft starts tonight, but I haven't seen Brian Randolph's name included on any draft prospect lists anywhere on the internet. CBS has a list of the top 25 safety prospects, but no Randolph. Some other lists (like Walter Camp and Bleacher Report) have LaDarrell McNeil listed as a fringe prospect behind 20+ other safeties, but again there's no mention of Brian Randolph.

What the heck is going on here? I have to believe that NFL scouts know exactly who Randolph is, but why aren't any "draft experts" in the media paying attention to a 4-year starter from an SEC team with sub-4.5 speed? Randolph has played much better over the past two seasons than either LaDarrell McNeil or Justin Coleman, who went on to start for New England last year.

Any thoughts?

Uh, is it really that difficult to understand? He is not a top or even mid level prospect. That is why he isn't being discussed.

Maybe he gets drafted later or signed as a free agent and surprises like Coleman last year. I hope so. But right now, he is not highly rated.

Uh, is it really that difficult to understand? He is not a top or even mid level prospect. That is why he isn't being discussed.

Maybe he gets drafted later or signed as a free agent and surprises like Coleman last year. I hope so. But right now, he is not highly rated.

Nobody has yet to explain WHY a 4-year SEC starter with 30+ reps on the bench press and 4.4 speed isn't considered "highly rated." Our secondary has been among the nation's best in 3rd down defense and passing efficiency for the past two years, so don't give me any junk about Randolph being out of position or a poor communicator, etc.

Randolph arguably isn't being "rated" at all; no invite to the NFL combine, and complete omission from almost every composite prospect list on the internet. With his measurables, Randolph is worth a mid or late-round draft pick for his value on special teams alone, so again I ask - what the hell is going on here?

Nobody has yet to explain WHY a 4-year SEC starter with 30+ reps on the bench press and 4.4 speed isn't considered "highly rated." Our secondary has been among the nation's best in 3rd down defense and passing efficiency for the past two years, so don't give me any junk about Randolph being out of position or a poor communicator, etc.

Randolph arguably isn't being "rated" at all; no invite to the NFL combine, and complete omission from almost every composite prospect list on the internet. With his measurables, Randolph is worth a mid or late-round draft pick for his value on special teams alone, so again I ask - what the hell is going on here?

This is where my head is as well. There are many NFL players at the safety position starting on Sundays that cannot and never could record a 4.4 forty time. Something else has to be going on IMO.

Careful, D4H on the way to explain everything and put you in your place.

People who get paid to evaluate players obviously think otherwise. I don't know why, but I know as much about evaluating pro prospects as you do. Maybe his reaction time or something like that is a problem. Again, I don't know.

But, I do know this. They don't do bench presses during games.

I would like to see all our players get drafted-and high. But, if I had to bet, I would bet that Randolph will be going the free agent route, which isn't necessarily the kiss of death.

Last edited:
This is where my head is as well. There are many NFL players at the safety position starting on Sundays that cannot and never could record a 4.4 forty time. Something else has to be going on IMO.

If you run a fast 40 time and have a reputation...deserved or otherwise...of being out of position in key moments in tight games, perhaps the draft experts could be concerned about Randolph getting to the wrong spot faster.

I wish Randolph nothing but success at the next level, but to suggest there's "something else" going on is laughable.

Last edited:
Fact is, Butch and Jancek and Martinez trusted him for each of the last 3 years, 36 games when he was healthy, to be one of the leaders on our defense, to help get our players lined up right and to make plays....all three of which he did well.

Is he an early round or even mid round pick? No. But given his physical abilities, his SEC production and his "makeup", this kid should and will be given a shot to make a roster as either a late round pick or a free agent. There must be something a lot of evaluators didn't like about his film, but that also had to be true of a less physically gifted Justin Coleman and things seemed to have worked out for him really well so far. Pulling for this kid.

Reactions: 3 people
Fact is, Butch and Jancek and Martinez trusted him for each of the last 3 years, 36 games when he was healthy, to be one of the leaders on our defense, to help get our players lined up right and to make plays....all three of which he did well.

Is he an early round or even mid round pick? No. But given his physical abilities, his SEC production and his "makeup", this kid should and will be given a shot to make a roster as either a late round pick or a free agent. There must be something a lot of evaluators didn't like about his film, but that also had to be true of a less physically gifted Justin Coleman and things seemed to have worked out for him really well so far. Pulling for this kid.

He will definitely get a shot. Just probably not drafted.

VN Store

Back