Why is there such a quarrel with Christianity today?

jmo but what I think he's saying is that atheists complain when Christians bring up faith, the Bible, etc. in conversations... but then given the opportunity to say something negative about Christianity, atheists will often interject it into the conversation just as much if not more.

I see that happen a fair amount in some of these forums.

This us what I meant, sorry I didn't explain it as good.

An upcoming horror movie released a new trailer about a week ago, and I started reading the comments to see how the trailer is being received. Someone commented about how watching demonic movies can open one up to things they may not be comfortable with. This person never called anyone a sinner, he never pointed a finger, he never said a negative word against anyone. At no point did he even say the word Christianity. These are a few of the responses he was met with:

"There is no jesus. There is no God. You are the one who is brainwashed."

"Christians are the reason they make witches look evil. They are the true evil"

"What an idiot."

"Lol, you sound like this teacher at a youth group I use to go to. He was super anal about everything and sucked the joy out of life by saying that same lame bs"

"Not everyone believes in your religion. Get off your high horse."

"I am a pagan, and I do not believe in close minded conservative Christians."

"Children of a perverted God preach to men and women how to live their lives as if their fairy tales of incestious origins is base enough for us to listen.
Keep praying."

Christianity is a personal relationship with God, and the core of the belief is that the ultimate symbol of love sacrificed himself so that others may have a chance. The whole thing is summed up with the phrase "Faith, Hope, and Love. And the greatest of these is Love." Whether you adhere to this faith or not, obviously the general message is selflessness, love, patience, etc.

Of course a big percentage of Christians don't represent Christianity well, many use it to do no more than push a personal agenda, but the same can be said for any affiliation. A good portion of southerners represent the south (and southern hospitality) poorly, a good portion of vegetarians represent vegetarians poorly, a good portion of Hispanics represent Hispanic culture poorly, etc etc. However, no one speaking on behalf of any of those affiliations is met with nearly the same hostility as someone speaking on behalf of Christianity.

If a public figure publicly denounces Christianity in front of a large audience, they are met with applause. Atheists are extremely vocal about their lack of belief in a deity, and usually admired for it. Even something as small as how many "likes" one gets on a Facebook post is extremely telling (i.e. in the comments section of the movie I referred to earlier, a person argued for Christianity and got 12 "likes", another person responded by calling the Bible a fairytale and received 306 "likes").

Why? Obviously Christianity is seen by more and more of our youthful generation as being mutually exclusive with intelligence. Plenty of people refuse to believe in God's existence, that's nothing new. But why is there such a backlash these days to the idea of Christianity? Why would a message of Faith, Hope, and Love, be met with such hostility?

No answer is a bad answer here. I'm just genuinely curious.

I bet $$$ that these same people called in bomb threats to Memories Pizza

How do you get that? Being a Christian doesn't mean you're perfect. We make mistakes, and I never deny that. Thats the purpose of Christ dying for me. Hypocritical is claiming to not believe in God or the bible, but as soon as you see a Christian make a mistake you throw God and the bible in our face. You claim you don't want to be judged by our God and beliefs, yet do the very thing to us. Thats what I'm saying.

I made no such claim previously. But it's not that I don't want to be judged by your flavor of god. It's that there is zero evidence that I will be.

If you'd don't like things being proverbially thrown in your face, perhaps you shouldn't be asserting a position from the assumed moral high ground (as many religions do). In other words, stay below the ridgeline and you won't be such an easy target.

Further. pointing out absurdities in say the christians condemnation and complete disdain for one sin, while dismissing others so many of them participate in is the very definition of hypocrisy. One doesn't have to "believe" to be qualified to point that out.

Reactions: 4 people
How do you get that? Being a Christian doesn't mean you're perfect. We make mistakes, and I never deny that. Thats the purpose of Christ dying for me. Hypocritical is claiming to not believe in God or the bible, but as soon as you see a Christian make a mistake you throw God and the bible in our face. You claim you don't want to be judged by our God and beliefs, yet do the very thing to us. Thats what I'm saying.

None of us are perfect. As a Christian we need to live our lives in a way that shows others how the love of Christ can make a difference in one's life and through our lives draw others to Christ. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

I can clearly understand how people are driven away from Christianity instead of drawn to it. I will try to list a few of the reasons, imo.

1.Televangelist. While their may be a few that are in the business to spread the Gospel, the majority are in the business for the almighty dollar. That clearly shows. I don't think God has called anyone to preach for the purpose of begging money so he/she can live a luxurious lifestyle. I think most of these televangelist are hypocrites and drive millions of people from Christianity.

2. Far Right Wing Religious Groups.
These are the people that try to force others to live by their beliefs by means of talking down to others, using legislation to force their moral standards on others. That drives people away from Christianity, period. Jesus never forced his teaching on others, neither should Chrisrians. We all have the free will to live our lives the way we choose, many so called Christians evidently do not know the definition of Free Will.

3. Westboro Baptist Church and other groups like it spread nothing but hate. These groups are in the public eye teaching doctrine far from what Christianity is.

4. The Catholic Church having priest that molest children then use the power of the Vatican to cover it up. Instead of moving a pedophile priest to another location so he will have a new group of children to molest, the priest that commits these horrible acts should be prosecuted , thrown in jail and stripped of their priesthood.
Molestation is not limited to Catholicism, they have had several high profile cases that has received worldwide news coverage. There are sexual predators in most if not all sects of religious groups.

5. So called Christians. The vast majority of those that classify themselves as Christians because they were taken to a Christian Church a few times when they were children or their grandpa, uncle, cousin etc is a Christian. That does not make one a Christian. They live lives full of sin yet proclaim to be a Christian. These people drive people from Christianity. What is the point of considering becoming a Christian when they see these so called Christians at the club on Saturday night drunk and with someone else's husband or wife, cursing, fighting, etc.

In reality we have very few Christians in the USA but we have a large number who portrays themselves to be. If one has not been saved by the grace of God, one is not a Christian.

That line will not set well with some but it is 100% the truth. A person can attend a Christian Church for 50 years and if said person has not accepted Christ as their Lord and Saviour said person is not a Christian.

Christianity is love, we have way too many so called Christian that spread hate and trying to force their personal beliefs on others.

I am proud and glad that I accepted Christ as my Lord and Saviour some 45+years ago. I have not always lived a Christian life and have missed many blessings because of my foolishness. I know some of you will not agree with this post and that is fine. I am not going to argue about it. The above are just a few of the reasons that Christianity is despised in our country. The longer life goes on the farther the people drift from Christianity.

Reactions: 5 people
Gramps quit acting like your church isn't immune to predators and coverups. They are everywhere. I know quite a few people who were molested by preachers and "youth leaders". I know zero people who've been molested by a Catholic priest. Guess what those "Youth Leaders" are doing now, 10-20 years later... They are now preachers, still in the local community

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Christianity has always been engrained in various American federal and cultural media. Now that freedom of religion is being more objectively recognized by the population, they see the contradiction of the aforementioned religious media with separation of church and state. That's why people are pushing for no unified prayers in public schools, Ten Commandments taken away from gov't buildings, display of crucifixes, etc.

There are two main reasons IMO:
1. Freedom or religion is being embraced now more than ever.
2. Christian elements are the ones found most in instances of religious display/endorsement in federal settings, not Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, etc.

None of us are perfect. As a Christian we need to live our lives in a way that shows others how the love of Christ can make a difference in one's life and through our lives draw others to Christ. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

I can clearly understand how people are driven away from Christianity instead of drawn to it. I will try to list a few of the reasons, imo.

1.Televangelist. While their may be a few that are in the business to spread the Gospel, the majority are in the business for the almighty dollar. That clearly shows. I don't think God has called anyone to preach for the purpose of begging money so he/she can live a luxurious lifestyle. I think most of these televangelist are hypocrites and drive millions of people from Christianity.

These are the people that try to force others to live by their beliefs by means of talking down to others, using legislation to force their moral standards on others. That drives people away from Christianity, period. Jesus never forced his teaching on others, neither should Chrisrians. We all have the free will to live our lives the way we choose, many so called Christians evidently do not know the definition of Free Will.

3. Westboro Baptist Church and other groups like it spread nothing but hate. These groups are in the public eye teaching doctrine far from what Christianity is.

4. The Catholic Church having priest that molest children then use the power of the Vatican to cover it up. Instead of moving a pedophile priest to another location so he will have a new group of children to molest, the priest that commits these horrible acts should be prosecuted , thrown in jail and stripped of their priesthood.
Molestation is not limited to Catholicism, they have had several high profile cases that has received worldwide news coverage. There are sexual predators in most if not all sects of religious groups.

5. So called Christians. The vast majority of those that classify themselves as Christians because they were taken to a Christian Church a few times when they were children or their grandpa, uncle, cousin etc is a Christian. That does not make one a Christian. They live lives full of sin yet proclaim to be a Christian. These people drive people from Christianity. What is the point of considering becoming a Christian when they see these so called Christians at the club on Saturday night drunk and with someone else's husband or wife, cursing, fighting, etc.

In reality we have very few Christians in the USA but we have a large number who portrays themselves to be. If one has not been saved by the grace of God, one is not a Christian.

That line will not set well with some but it is 100% the truth. A person can attend a Christian Church for 50 years and if said person has not accepted Christ as their Lord and Saviour said person is not a Christian.

Christianity is love, we have way too many so called Christian that spread hate and trying to force their personal beliefs on others.

I am proud and glad that I accepted Christ as my Lord and Saviour some 45+years ago. I have not always lived a Christian life and have missed many blessings because of my foolishness. I know some of you will not agree with this post and that is fine. I am not going to argue about it. The above are just a few of the reasons that Christianity is despised in our country. The longer life goes on the farther the people drift from Christianity.

I was raised in a Christian household. Went to church twice on Sunday and usually was there three nights out of the week for prayer, mid week service or some other function. The things you listed are exactly what drives me and others away from Christianity. The biggest for me is seeing people who are just outright hypocrites, or refuse to even try to see things from a different point of view. I hate people that are utterly close minded or say and preach one thing then do another.

Reactions: 6 people
I was raised in a Christian household. Went to church twice on Sunday and usually was there three nights out of the week for prayer, mid week service or some other function. The things you listed are exactly what drives me and others away from Christianity. The biggest for me is seeing people who are just outright hypocrites, or refuse to even try to see things from a different point of view. I hate people that are utterly close minded or say and preach one thing then do another.

so right !

Gramps quit acting like your church isn't immune to predators and coverups. They are everywhere. I know quite a few people who were molested by preachers and "youth leaders". I know zero people who've been molested by a Catholic priest. Guess what those "Youth Leaders" are doing now, 10-20 years later... They are now preachers, still in the local community

You evidently did not read the full post. I clearly stated Molestation was not limited to Catholicism, they have had more publicized cases.

Just to help you out.

I am Baptist, did you miss the Westboro part. There are scum and hypocrites in every sect of Christanity. That is one reason people despise Christianty.

Reactions: 1 person

I wish I could give you more than one like.

I strayed from my religious beliefs for several years due to outright hypocrites being leaders in my little Baptist Church. It took me several years and some chastisement to finally understand I have to answer for myself and they have to answer for themselves. When I made things right with God I moved my membership to another church. I still have a place in my heart for my first church. That is where I was saved and will never forget the spot I was but I no longer felt part of that church.

Reactions: 2 people
Because wwjd? amiright?

I'm not a christian so I don't give a toss about what Jesus would do. Almost all self proclaimed atheists are annoying pissant attention wh@res who act like whiny children and typically are dealt with as shown below:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOoYxOf92s[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
see animated gif above.

29XYmgE.gif

Still all hat, no cattle.

I'm not a christian so I don't give a toss about what Jesus would do. Almost all self proclaimed atheists are annoying pissant attention wh@res who act like whiny children and typically are dealt with as shown below:

That's some funny ****.

What I wish people would understand, is that not a single one of those 5 points in any way, shape, or form, represents Jesus and who he was.

I have a huge amount of respect for our military. Every young active military/vet I've known is all about partying, drinking, women, etc. That's fine, to each his own. That doesn't tell me "Our military is all about drinking and partying." Our military is about defending our country.

Christianity is love. Don't let the people of Christianity's actions define what Christianity is. Most are full of self-recognized imperfections.

Where I agree with Christopher Hitchens and other atheists is I hate religion. Every form if it I know. I believe religion divides people, creates conflict and ultimately causes more harm than good. At the same time I cannot deny a personal experience with Jesus that some have. If they follow the biblical version of Jesus and follow the Ten Commandments I have no problem. But don't force your beliefs on me and don't tell everyone what a horrible sinner they are, even if that's what you believe. Christ love will win more souls than any fire and brimstone message ever will.

Reactions: 7 people

Of course you aren't perfect. I just point out willful hypocrisy, which is different from making mistakes. Not because i want to paint people as hypocrites but because i want people to be christlike. They just get mad and justify their behavior/position so i've stopped for the most part

I like it how you qualify that you're not a christian (and not that you care) and then go on to to do the very thing you accuse the atheists of doing. The irony is too much.

rbI9bFf.gif

Reactions: 5 people

Wtf?

VN Store

Back