Why didn’t we hire Mark Stoops???

How'd your boys do tonight?

Probably a mistake to post that. Overt shot across the bow of VN. But, you took it, so...

Let's hope the wax on the wings of UK Football is strong. Because if it's not, when UK comes tumbling back down to earth...and they will...you are going to have numerous crow pizzas, with extra crow, delivered here.

Don't blame you for the shot. It was there, and you took it. Huge moxie. Just wanted to let you know how this probably ends.

Go Vols.

Probably a mistake to post that. Overt shot across the bow of VN. But, you took it, so...

Let's hope the wax on the wings of UK Football is strong. Because if it's not, when UK comes tumbling back down to earth...and they will...you are going to have numerous crow pizzas, with extra crow, delivered here.

Don't blame you for the shot. It was there, and you took it. Huge moxie. Just wanted to let you know how this probably ends.

Go Vols.

Not really. People post stuff all the time and when they're called out on it, they ignore it or they spin it. The FF is full of it.

I promise you, if Butch had gone 7-5 or 8-4 last season he'd still be at UT...probably with an extension.

Not only that, if Dooley had made a bowl his last year, he would have been back. He wasn't officially on his way out until Vandy waxed us. If Tennessee hadn't of blown the Missouri game or had shown up against Vandy, he would have been back. I 100% believe that, and at the time Hart pretty much said it.

As an alum of UK (in addition to UT) I'm pumped to see UK being relevant in football. I still bleed orange first but good for ole UK.

Reactions: McCat

Go Vols.

Haha

Why don’t you stick to basketball, champ.

Attachments

• CB07B70F-3602-49D5-971F-E1CC331AB5A3.jpeg
    CB07B70F-3602-49D5-971F-E1CC331AB5A3.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 4
So you started a thread to argue a question, that's never been asked? Why?
Stoops was a name I and others threw out in the coaching search threads back in December or whenever it was. He has experience, has improved Kentucky, and at the time seemed obtainable. No way he would consider TN the next time around, which should be in about 2-3 years. Whether he was a good or bad choice is irrelevant now because with each turn of the downward spiral less quality candidates will be available for TN to consider. Too early prediction is that Randy Sanders will be the UT coach in 2022 or sooner.

Stoops was a name I and others threw out in the coaching search threads back in December or whenever it was. He has experience, has improved Kentucky, and at the time seemed obtainable. No way he would consider TN the next time around, which should be in about 2-3 years. Whether he was a good or bad choice is irrelevant now because with each turn of the downward spiral less quality candidates will be available for TN to consider. Too early prediction is that Randy Sanders will be the UT coach in 2022 or sooner.

small.png

I would say there would be outrage if Sanders was the next HC at UT; however, being here I know a good portion of the fanbase would immediately proclaim that UT "finally got THE guy".

Stoops at a program like Tennessee wouldn’t really do any justice considering UK’s expectations in football is like comparing apples to oranges.

Getting to a Bowl Game at Kentucky is pretty much considered a great season for them.

Stoops at a program like Tennessee wouldn’t really do any justice considering UK’s expectations in football is like comparing apples to oranges.

Getting to a Bowl Game at Kentucky is pretty much considered a great season for them.
he was also given 4/5 years to get there. wouldn't happen here.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
butch got to 9 wins in year three. so no.
Yep. Butch was given 3 and earned 2016 and 2017 based on 2015's performance.

If he lost to Georgia in 2015, I think he probably gets fired. He would have started his third year 2-5 without it, the only wins being over creampuffs. That one win then dominating a soft back end of the schedule in 2015 preserved his job for a couple more years.

Where did 9 wins come in as the qualifer?

Jones got 5 to prove that he was better than 9. Not whether he could make a bowl game. Thus the reason why the comparison is uneven.
you said jones got 5 years to prove himself. as the poster above stated he wouldn't have gotten 5 if he hadn't won 9. he earned an extension to get to the 5 that stoops started with.

Reactions: LoudOrange
you said jones got 5 years to prove himself. as the poster above stated he wouldn't have gotten 5 if he hadn't won 9. he earned an extension to get to the 5 that stoops started with.

He did get 5 years and he failed even with two 9 win seasons. There wasn't some predetermined number of years based off a specific win total in his contract no different than Stoops. Stoops survived on much less because less is expected.

One other thing that aided Jones survival was Hart announcing his departure.

He did get 5 years and he failed even with two 9 win seasons. There wasn't some predetermined number of years based off a specific win total in his contract no different than Stoops. Stoops survived on much less because less is expected.

One other thing that aided Jones survival was Hart announcing his departure.

He was on the hot seat for a while. If he didn't beat MSU and USCjr in 2016, he's gone. The win @ #11 UL also gave him some breathing room. People forget we started 2016 getting beat by a bad Southern Miss., trounced by UF, and then barely beat Nex. Mex. State. Stoops himself realized that beating MSU saved his job.

So yes, the expectations were lower than at UT, but it's not like Stoops could coast for 4 or 5 five years winning just 3-6 games. The fans wanted improvement and wanted it fast.

I would've taken Stoops over Juice Bar Jones, but you know the Haslams got this coach hiring thing down pat.
They HAD this hiring thing. HAD, powers have shifted in the BOD, Haslams would have never allowed Fulmer back in. I'm pretty sure we covered all this back when he was hired.

VN Store

Back