Why can't we enjoy the victory?

It's great to critique it and find hope in what we are doing. Also, there are going to be flaws to be improved.

But a true fan will not close the books on the season over one game. That's demoralizing and not fair to the guys who came to play. We shouldn't expect perfection. What we did see was team who kept finding ways to stop BG and score. It was a breath of fresh air.

I agree with you but it's hard for me blame anyone wanting to do so. Considering the last 13 years, it's not like a precedent hasn't been set.

Very simple, I believe most fans like myself expected to see results similar to Kiffen's opening game against WKU. We didn't get that. The fact the halftime score was 14-6 was very disturbing and a situation where the final score is misleading to the actual progression of the game.

For the youngins who don't remember Kiffin's opening game - Western Kentucky vs. Tennessee - Game Summary - September 5, 2009 - ESPN
That team had way more talent than this year’s team.

On the positive side..

Impressed with both Small and Evans...I think the combination of these two will end up being a step up from what we lost last year.

Theo Jackson looked really good. Aaron Beasley will get more PT as the season goes. Kicking game looked solid.

Really need the light to come on for Milton. This team could be really fun to watch.

With the exception of our passing game, I enjoyed it. Wins have been too few and far between in recent years not to enjoy them all.
In the second quarter, I got that all too familiar feeling. But we came out and dominated the second half 24-0. It wasn’t fancy, but it was steady. I think a lot of people are still living in the 2nd quarter of last night.

With the exception of our passing game, I enjoyed it. Wins have been too few and far between in recent years not to enjoy them all.
You are correct.... but I hate to keep beating a dead horse ... we ran at will for the most part lastnite, when we begin playing people with our ability or better the passing game is essential. Hopefully it was a bad night throwing the pigskin and they guys figure it out

Food for thought. The Vegas line was pretty close and they don’t run on emotion. We were who they thought we were. I’m ok with that at this point take the win and move on and get better.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
I'm enjoying the victory. I'm currently at work with a hangover and I'm looking for a closet to take a nap.

Reactions: SDV
We made mistakes, the staff has work to do and I’m not sold on JM3….. but, we won, coach doesn’t seem to be a miserable b@stard and I think the S&C of the kids looked really good. If we restore normalcy and beat the teams we’re supposed to then I’ll consider that progress for year 1.

Believe me, I’m grateful for the win. But some of us see the handwriting on the wall.
I think this is me, but I also understand seeing the glass half full. I was pleased with more than I was displeased with. What I was displeased with could tank our season. Lol

Reactions: Matt2496
Despite atrocious QB play, I enjoyed the victory. The game makes me wonder how good Huepel's offense will be once he figures out QB.

You can complain about QB and still enjoy the victory.

Reactions: DD4ME
Please te me you weren't impressed with that game ?

32 point victory & we are the laughing stock on every SEC social media page this am. Everyone saw how bad we were.
Only cuz none of them have played yet. Many will have their own comedy tomorrow. Let’s see if a 32 point victory is as funny afterwards. 😏

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL
Objectively, because it's not a win to enjoy. Everyone is glad we won, but that was a foregone conclusion. Games like this are for assessment, to gaze into the crystal ball, to project success or failure down the schedule against "real teams".

There were some nice takeaways as many have pointed out. And, then there is QB, where any Vol fan with integrity is chewing their fingernails, and saying "ruh roh".

Believe me, I’m grateful for the win. But some of us see the handwriting on the wall.
Damn kids and their graffiti! Pictures of wee wee’s and hoo hoo’s on bathroom walls. 🤬

I find myself perplexed. I mean seriously, somebody do a head count and figure out how many of these players were on the roster vs Georgia State. I get a truckload left, and a truckload came in, but there still has to be a significant number of them who suited up last night.

I had no plans to watch last night's game. I guess part of me was more focused on my niece giving birth to a baby boy the night before, but thanks to the Covid BS, I am yet to meet him. And I guess another part of me figured that considering everything that has happened over there over the past 7 or 8 months, my expectation were SOSDD (Same Ole 5H1T, Different Day) Luckily, as I was leaving work, a coworker mentioned the game was starting. As I drove home, I had no intention of tuning in. My curiosity got the best of me when I got to my TV. Tuned in, Vols were up 14-0, and Bowling Green was working toward their first field goal.

Looked about right to me. They should have been at least up by two touchdowns against these jokers. And even though they were letting Bowling Green dominate time of possession during that quarter, that was not surprising to me. While I am sure that some of you were giving yourself wedgies over it, I was looking for fundamental competence. The team looked composed. Way more composed than anything Pruitt and friends ever showed. But without going through all the details, and mistakes I figured would happen, once the game was over? This team exceeded my expectations.

However, from reading what some of you all have wrote, it is clear you all were expecting something more than what I was. I guess a few expected Jesus to show up and raise Lazarus from the dead at halftime. Yeah I saw the mistakes that have been pointed out. And while you all are moaning like somebody died, I saw nothing that cannot be corrected. And from what I could see on TV, the coaches were doing that. I might be wrong here, and I often am. But I am not going to cry like a five year old kid who dropped his ice cream over this. This team was not going to shock the world in game 1 and the scoreboard was not going to read 72-0. When one of them has the guts to tell John Adams he is full of crap? Or fall asleep while being interviewed by Bob Kesling? Or say, "Excuse me?" after a dumb one? Then, they will be there.

In the meantime, you all should enjoy this. Or not. DILLIGAF?

I know as a VOLS fan, I want us to beat every team by 50 pts, but realistically those teams come to play as well. Until teams decide to forfeit games, they are coming to the field with a win in sight. Now, many will not be good enough to win but they will play to win.

So many on VN are talking about how horrible we played. Yes, mistakes were made and there is room for improvement. But we came away with an impressive win. Do some fans not recognize that BG did not score a touchdown? There were no mentions of an "upset alert" since we took care of business.

I've always said that the first game could go either way. Even Ohio State had trouble with Minnesota. Even if every game ended with us getting 2 points, but we win, I would take it and call it a winning season as it should be.

Am I concerned? Yes, because I know greater teams loom large and are ready to make their own statements against us. There is room for optimism. CH did not expect to not see room for improvement.

After watching the game, I think Milton has to show out in the next 2 games. CH will not tolerate a remake performance of last night. If Milton doesn't get it done against Pitt and TN Tech, someone else is going to get the nod.

I'm hoping Milton takes all of this seriously.

Hats off to the DL and OL! When was the last time our QB had that much time in the pocket? The last few years, JG was running for his life and we faced so many 3rd and longs.

I hope our guys build on this momentum...

I don't think it takes a lot of thinking to know why we need to trash this quarterback. There's a few layers to why some want him out, a lot of which don't have much to do with his performance last night.

There's also a persistent need to set the stage for the coach's ouster. You're not getting anywhere with that unless you start building your case early.

The simplest explanation to why we stuck with Milton -- that he's the best fit for Huepel's offense, the best performer in practice, and needs all the full speed reps he can get for the road ahead -- has to be rejected in order to built the case against him and Heupel.

Reactions: Raebo
I know as a VOLS fan, I want us to beat every team by 50 pts, but realistically those teams come to play as well. Until teams decide to forfeit games, they are coming to the field with a win in sight. Now, many will not be good enough to win but they will play to win.

So many on VN are talking about how horrible we played. Yes, mistakes were made and there is room for improvement. But we came away with an impressive win. Do some fans not recognize that BG did not score a touchdown? There were no mentions of an "upset alert" since we took care of business.

I've always said that the first game could go either way. Even Ohio State had trouble with Minnesota. Even if every game ended with us getting 2 points, but we win, I would take it and call it a winning season as it should be.

Am I concerned? Yes, because I know greater teams loom large and are ready to make their own statements against us. There is room for optimism. CH did not expect to not see room for improvement.

After watching the game, I think Milton has to show out in the next 2 games. CH will not tolerate a remake performance of last night. If Milton doesn't get it done against Pitt and TN Tech, someone else is going to get the nod.

I'm hoping Milton takes all of this seriously.

Hats off to the DL and OL! When was the last time our QB had that much time in the pocket? The last few years, JG was running for his life and we faced so many 3rd and longs.

I hope our guys build on this momentum...
Why? Because UT should have hung at least 50 on BGSU. They're not a good team.

More than that, UT executed the passing O very, very poorly for most of the game. This needed to be a pure warm up. UT posted 475 yds of O. Had they been even a "C" in the passing game that would have been closer to 675.

There is such a thing as a "disappointing win"... this was one. UT MUST play much better than this to beat opponents like Pitt, UK, and Mizzou... and those are the opponents the season hinges on... and recruiting hinges on the season... and the future hinges on recruiting. So yeah. This is disappointing AND a big deal.

It's the fact that we struggled against a much lesser opponent. Do I expect us to hang 50 on everyone? No. Do I expect us to hang 50 on a high school team? Yes.

I don't see Milton's accuracy problems going anywhere anytime soon. Coming into the season, I realistically saw 9 wins. After seeing Milton struggle that bad, that gives me calls for concern.

I was pleasantly surprised by our defense though!

I do not proclaim to have any specific football expertise. But I do recognize good body language from watching pitchers in bad situations and I’ll say this, the body language and intent was overall 1000% better then last season and probably the season prior. That gives me optimism. A) I hope it lasts and B) I hope it’s there when times are tough vs superior talent

I think that's it Freak. The passing game and deep balls were specifically what everyone was looking for. We didn't get that

I do not proclaim to have any specific football expertise. But I do recognize good body language from watching pitchers in bad situations and I’ll say this, the body language and intent was overall 1000% better then last season and probably the season prior. That gives me optimism. A) I hope it lasts and B) I hope it’s there when times are tough vs superior talent

This was the most encouraging perspective to me. Haven't seen that in a long while.

Can I ask a different question? Why does everyone have to enjoy a game the same way? Why is everyone so concerned about someone enjoying or not enjoying a game? Does it really matter?

VN Store

Back