Why are we trying to be the opposite of Alabama?

Is this about the lights or the fact we have a Twitter page or what

The lights are fine. Would have been better if we had them a couple years ago when bama/Uga did. Its a bad look to be excited over something Bama/Uga have had for multiple years. Tennessee and Alabama used to be the tradition of the SEC. That meant something. They didn't do corny stuff and fake sell bad coaches and terrible recruiting bc they had a power T on them. Ut fans are quick to throw away tradition, which is what this whole program is built on, to try to be corny and fit into todays gimmicky cfb. Bama never has done that and never will bc they respect the tradition of the program. You can be a UT fan and still call out lame stuff and our fans lying to themselves to fake feel better about the program.

What you have to understand about Alabama is this. They are the only game in town. There is NO pro team. Alabama football is their pro team. They have been given infinitely more resources since Alabama got rich. This all happened about the same time.

Reactions: HalfullVol
You know what really scares Alabama? I can say this because I know. It's that they will go back to being what they were pre saban.

Since I live in AL and work with and have a number of friends that are AL fans, yes they are petrified of Saban retiring and they have to go back to being a mortal team.

Here's what we need to remind our new group of yuths. Tennessee is called The Volunteers. It's what you do. It's YOUR job to remind Alabama who they are. That is your job as a VOLUNTEER. The people of the Appalachians are the hottest in the world. They will fight you. When you give them a purpose like the south.... it can be dangerous.

Reactions: Lilcarl731
Can someone explain what "fake sell bad coaches" means? For better or worse we hire a guy. Then we support them (for the most part) until they don't work out...then repeat. I'm not sure what we can do about that other than win.

When you talk about "UT" being "corny". You're just talking about decisions specific coaches have made here or there (turnover trash can, orange dog etc) to try and generate some excitement or momentum.

You're just coming across like someone complaining because we are losing. No major tradition has changed at all. Maybe you should make a list elaborating on your complaints more eloquently and present it to Danny White.

Here's what we need to remind our new group of yuths. Tennessee is called The Volunteers. It's what you do. It's YOUR job to remind Alabama who they are. That is your job as a VOLUNTEER. The people of the Appalachians are the hottest in the world. They will fight you. When you give them a purpose like the south.... it can be dangerous.

Example #1 of corny stuff Ut fans say/do.

Thats part of college football. When you lose Hall of fame coaches, there's usually down periods with alot of coaching turnover until the right one arrives. My point is Alabama never blew up their tradition and panic to stay relevant like UT is doing. Ive never seen Alabama disrespect their tradition. Their fans would never stand for that.. Ours embraces it and pretends its cool.

Times have changed since Alabama stunk. I'm not a fan of alternate uniforms for every big game like Jones was with those grey uniforms but I wouldnt mind it for a game like BG or South Ala later this year. Not wearing your traditional uniform for big games is stupid to me. Alabama does have their light show now.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
So it sounds like your question is "why doesn't Tennessee get a Nick Saban?"

You sound like my aunt who has never watched football.

Tennessee used to be a traditional SEC power in college football. We wore our historic home and away uniforms. We never thought gimmicks and alternate uniforms were cool. When Alabama went through their bad years in the 90s/early 2000s, they didn't start checkering the stadium and wearing corny alternate uniforms. They stayed true to their tradition and never felt the need to try to do the lame stuff everybody else in cfb did to try to be relevant. UT today seems to think wearing smokey grey uniforms and black uniforms this year isn't a slap in the face of what real Tennessee football is and stands for. We hire coaches who cant recruit in the SEC and play the opposite brand of football that wins in the SEC. I hate Alabama and hope they lose every game they play but UT throwing away all tradition to be the opposite of Alabama doesnt seem like a way to not get the breaks beat off of you year in and year out. Why Tennessee fans continue to embrace being a corny football program is mind boggling. Pretending hiring coaches that get SMOKED in recruiting and play a gimmicky brand of football translating into catching the big boys in the SEC looks stupid and we pretend it doesnt every year. Its embarrassing to the tradition of the program on all levels.

get-off-lawn-300x203.png

Tennessee used to be a traditional SEC power in college football. We wore our historic home and away uniforms. We never thought gimmicks and alternate uniforms were cool. When Alabama went through their bad years in the 90s/early 2000s, they didn't start checkering the stadium and wearing corny alternate uniforms. They stayed true to their tradition and never felt the need to try to do the lame stuff everybody else in cfb did to try to be relevant. UT today seems to think wearing smokey grey uniforms and black uniforms this year isn't a slap in the face of what real Tennessee football is and stands for. We hire coaches who cant recruit in the SEC and play the opposite brand of football that wins in the SEC. I hate Alabama and hope they lose every game they play but UT throwing away all tradition to be the opposite of Alabama doesnt seem like a way to not get the breaks beat off of you year in and year out. Why Tennessee fans continue to embrace being a corny football program is mind boggling. Pretending hiring coaches that get SMOKED in recruiting and play a gimmicky brand of football translating into catching the big boys in the SEC looks stupid and we pretend it doesnt every year. Its embarrassing to the tradition of the program on all levels.
Uniforms aren’t the reason we lost.. just wanted to point that out there. We’ve made some bad hires and had bad leadership for a long time. But blaming uniforms and “ruining tradition” doesn’t have anything to do with the sh*t show we’ve put on the field these past several years. Just my two cents.
We wore Smokey grey uniforms how many times? Like 2.. maybe 3? And we’re still hearing about it till this day. Sheesh.

Didn't we just fire a coach that was trying to be Bama?

Yes. We fired a loaded SEC staff who could recruit their ass off and knew the SEC and its recruiting ground like the back of their hand. To hire a DC who coached on the worst defense in the history of the Penn State. To hire a HC who made UCF worse every year and has shown zero ability to recruit in even the top half of the SEC. Were battling Vandy/kentucky in Recruiting. Pruitt inherited a 4 win roster with the worst qb in the history of the program. If you say he had 2 years to find a qb thats fair, but we all knew that would take 5/6 years to turn around and when it didn't happen in 3 we reacted like children and hired a worse staff and have a worse roster/recruiters bc of it. Well be ready to fire JH by the end of this year and well do the whole stupid chirade again and set our program back another 10 years. But yes we fired the coach trying to be like bama. God forbid that ever happens lol. At least we can still checker the stadium and lose by 40 to real SEC schools.

Trying to BE Alabama is what our last coach did... how’s that work out

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Uniforms aren’t the reason we lost.. just wanted to point that out there. We’ve made some bad hires and had bad leadership for a long time. But blaming uniforms and “ruining tradition” doesn’t have anything to do with the sh*t show we’ve put on the field these past several years. Just my two cents.
We wore Smokey grey uniforms how many times? Like 2.. maybe 3? And we’re still hearing about it till this day. Sheesh.

I agree. Firing a hall of fame coach with the best winning % in college football the year after we won the east vs Tim Tebow/urban Meyer probably didn't turn out so great for us. Thats why were in this mess. Our fans doing the "fire fulmer" stuff look real smart rn dont they.

We are evolving to new realities of football. Fast paced spread offenses. Even Bear Bryant adapted from a former style to a wishbone when reality dictated it. But screw Bammer. We don't have the level of players they do now and we lost miserably last year trying to copy them.

Who says Heuple can't recruit? He hasn't even had a season to prove it one way or the other. UCF will always get UCF level players. Tennessee can and will do much better and Heupel can take advantage of it. The only tradition of Tennessee that I care about is winning. I don't care if it is in purple uniforms.

The lights are fine. Would have been better if we had them a couple years ago when bama/Uga did. Its a bad look to be excited over something Bama/Uga have had for multiple years. Tennessee and Alabama used to be the tradition of the SEC. That meant something. They didn't do corny stuff and fake sell bad coaches and terrible recruiting bc they had a power T on them. Ut fans are quick to throw away tradition, which is what this whole program is built on, to try to be corny and fit into todays gimmicky cfb. Bama never has done that and never will bc they respect the tradition of the program. You can be a UT fan and still call out lame stuff and our fans lying to themselves to fake feel better about the program.
You’ve lost the argument pal. Move along.

VN Store

Back